Keeping the Lord's day Holy

We read in the old testaments and in the Commandments to keep the Lord’s day Holy. Are we obliged to that rules as Catholics. If so to what extent. Most jobs in my area require one to work on Sundays. With work shortage one is tempted to take any job even if it falls on our Sundays. What’s the census?

Census is you can indeed work any and everyday. Keeping the Lord’s day Holy does not mean not working.

You can still keep Sunday holy and work too. Everyone works on Sunday whether it’s an outside job or not. If you cook or clean anything on Sunday, that’s work. If you care for the kids and feed them on Sunday, that’s work. If you water your plants or garden on Sunday that’s work. If you sit home and go over your bills and make out your finances, that’s work. :wink: So everyone works on Sunday in some way.

If you have no option but to work on Sunday, then it is OK, as long as it doesn’t interfere with your duty of worship and you still attend Mass (either Sunday or the Vigil on Saturday night, which was created in part for people who had to work on Sunday).
However, you should not seek out work on Sunday if you have other choices and are simply trying to earn unnecessary overtime or to do chores or manual labor to free up other days for recreation.

From the Catechism:
A day of grace and rest from work

2184 Just as God "rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done,"121 human life has a rhythm of work and rest. The institution of the Lord’s Day helps everyone enjoy adequate rest and leisure to cultivate their familial, cultural, social, and religious lives.122

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

The charity of truth seeks holy leisure- the necessity of charity accepts just work.124 

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

2188 In respecting religious liberty and the common good of all, Christians should seek recognition of Sundays and the Church’s holy days as legal holidays. They have to give everyone a public example of prayer, respect, and joy and defend their traditions as a precious contribution to the spiritual life of society. If a country’s legislation or other reasons require work on Sunday, the day should nevertheless be lived as the day of our deliverance which lets us share in this “festal gathering,” this "assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven."125

Im not so sure about this, Im starting to wonder if alot of what we are taught and the laws we are to obey are somehow wrong or mis-interpreted (maybe on purpose).

It seems to me, whenever there is a verse that doesnt ‘mesh’ too well with the norms of modern society, we just find a certain interpretation that justifies the act or behavior, so we can all say we arent sinning…I think this happens alot more than we think.

Did you say to make out! lol.

:blush:

i refuse to shop on sunday, or access anywhere that requires people to work, unless it is a necessary benefit to society such as public servants and medical. refuse is a strong word, i try not to. everyone should be able to worship, spend time with family and friends and serve the Lord if possible.

thanks for the ccc.

Let’s see what the Gospels say about it.

12 At that time Jesus went through the grain-fields on the Sabbath. And His disciples were hungry, and began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. 2 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath!” 3 But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: 4 how he entered the house of God and ate the show-bread which was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests? 5 Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless? 6 Yet I say to you that in this place there is One greater than the temple. 7 But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. 8 For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”
-Matthew 12:1-8

I agree with you, I also do the same, IMO, society would be fine with ONE single day that nothing is open, I mean, that would be pretty bad if we could not handle just one day without being able to buy anything!! LOL

Most people have enough food to get them thru one day at home as well, so really no need for every single store and every single restaurant to be open on this day, Chick Filet is the only one I can think of that closes on Sunday, the rest would not even think of it, they are too concerned with greed and making money every single chance they get.

This tends to be a US problem too, in other countries, its common for places to close early, or be closed all days, on certain days, in Italy, they ALL take long lunches, go home and enjoy meals with family, if this was even suggested in the US, people would scoff at it and say they dont have time to even take a lunch on some days!! Point is, the US has gotten so blinded by greed, they cant even see what they are doing anymore, we are almost the only nation that works like this, many places operate 24-7, 365 days a year, this is unheard of in most other countries, I struggle with why the US does not recognize this as being wrong, and why no one even suggests changing things to be more in line with the rest of the world.

i believe Jesus is saying it’s okay to do good works on sunday, and not implying that it’s okay to satisfy the flesh. for instance, we will be bringing my mother in law over, who is 91 and can’t get out on her own. we will have coffee after church, watch the football game and then dinner, before taking her home.

I think its sad more parishes/ priests are not bringing this up at mass every week, I feel like they are avoiding this topic so they dont drive people away, as I really think if more priests started telling people NOT to patronize any business open on sundays, or to avoid shopping on sunday, a LARGE percentage of the parish would feel kind of uncomfortable or even be upset if they happen to own local businesses that are open7 days a week.

I know one family that has been at our parish for decades owns a local chain of chili restaurants and of course they are open on sundays, the priest knows if he starts telling people to avoid patronizing businesses on sunday, Id imagine this family may get upset, even if the religion says its wrong…they act like everythings ok and they can just pick and choose what to follow and what they dont have to follow…I think this is a major problem in the CC. It seems to me they are more concerned with avoiding offending anyone or upsetting to many, so they can retain as many people as possible, this is wrong imo, if they have a bunch of people in a parish, but most do what they want anyway, whats the point of even having a parish like that? LOL

Furthermore, even though they do pick and choose what biblical laws they want to abide by, they often even try to justify what they are doing by using some mis-interpretations of verses and teachings LOL this is really sad IMO.

our priest usually ends mass with the quote. ‘go forth to serve the Lord’. i think most people get his drift. what they do with it is between them and God. we all make mistakes and squander our time.

I sort of read the Catechism and I believed It stated that those in poverty are exempt from working on Sundays (The Lords Day)
:highprayer::hammering::coolinoff:

yeah, but you’re the guy handing out five’s faster than wes welker.:smiley:

please translate…wes welker??

well, that would be convenient!! but I doubt it matters to God if one is rich or poor if they work on his day, he would probably tell us to stop concerning ourselves with earthly money, and start focusing on following HIS laws.

sorry, footballer who was handing out cash at the kentucky derby.

got it. thanx

LOL!! Make out your finances, go over your financial obligations and bills LOL :smiley: :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.