Keeping the Sabbath

Is doing school work on a Sunday in violation of the commandment?

I think it depends on what kind of school work you are doing, and why. If it’s because you put off doing it earlier, it may become problematic. At least for me it does. You had the chance to do it in a timely manner, but you didn’t. But if it’s because you just had a whole lot of homework to do, and you don’t have much left to do, then go for it. But remember to budget your time so that you can do things that please the Lord.

If doing homework on a Sunday night is a moral problem, I know a whole lot of Catholic school kids who will have lots of ‘splainin’ to do on Judgement Day.

If you don’t have enough time to work during the week, I don’ think there is a problem, but if you have no choice, I don’t think it is major.

I agree with you.
Often, today, it is difficult to not work on the sunday because of the homeworks.

Well , sometimes we have exams and so many homework to do. Personally, i have final exams at college and i can’t stop studying. I usually spend more time with family and praying on sundays but i study a little too . Is that wrong?! I don’t understand what’s wrong in studying a little because i need to …

The Catechism reads:

On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body. Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest.–2185.

You will have to weigh your circumstances against this directive. It is likely something only you can answer, but in some cases the need to study may be legitimate enough to do on a Sunday.

Just a side note: Catholics need to learn to correct their language. We DO NOT observe the Sabbath. We observe the LORD’S DAY.

The Catechism states:

Sunday is expressly distinguished from the sabbath which* it follows chronologically every week;* for Christians its ceremonial observance replaces that of the sabbath. In Christ’s Passover, Sunday fulfills the spiritual truth of the Jewish sabbath and announces man’s eternal rest in God.–2175, emphasis added.

In its recognition of the Jewish people as the older brethren of Catholics, the Church does not teach that the Sabbath as replaced as much as its customs are not binding on Gentile Christians. The Sabbath (which is the day before our Lord’s Day) still holds significance in relation to our older brethren, the Jews.

Thus the Catholic Church makes no claim to obligatory Sabbath observance, only that it’s underlying meaning and call to worship and rest, “which represented the completion of the first creation, has been replaced by Sunday which recalls the new creation inaugurated by the Resurrection of Christ.”–CCC 2190.

:rotfl:
Posilutely! :stuck_out_tongue:

It better not be because I have an exam tomorrow! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.