Keith Ellison’s abuse accuser Karen Monahan is back on Facebook and has a full statement out

Keith Ellison’s abuse accuser Karen Monahan is back on Facebook and has a full statement out

By DAVE ORRICK | dorrick@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press August 13, 2018

Karen Monahan, the woman who over the weekend publicly accused U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison of domestic abuse while they were living together, has issued a statement that includes further details of an alleged 2016 incident that Ellison denies ever happened.

“He came into the room I was sleeping in,” her statement reads, in part (with profanities redacted). “I was laying across the bed with my headphones on, listening to podcast on my phone. He said he was about to leave town for the weekend and told me to take the trash out. Given the explosive outrage that occurred the night before, I just should shook my head yes. I didn’t look up at him or saying anything. That is when he tried to drag me off the bed by my legs and feet, screaming . . . "you answer when I am talking to you. I said take out the trash, your a bad guest (even though we were living in the same place). He kept trying to drag me off the bed, . . . . He had to leave and get on the plane. He knocked the shoe off my foot and told me I better be gone when he gets back (which was in two days). This happened in 2016.”

Monahan’s adult son, Austin, on Saturday night posted publicly on Facebook he had seen a video recording showing a similar (presumably the same) alleged incident on his mother’s computer in 2017. Monahan backed up his post on Twitter. No video has been produced publicly . . .

Monahan said she never reported the incident to police and said being dragged off the bed was the only time Ellison got physical with her during their three-year relationship.

. . . . “What do survivors have to do to finally be heard and believed? Should we all have body cameras on at all times, so we are prepared?” Monahan posted on Twitter.

She told MPR News that she would not be posting the video for many reasons, including that it’s traumatizing, humiliating and sets an expectation that abuse survivors must prove their stories.

Monahan also told MPR she met with Ellison before he filed to run for attorney general and during their conversation he asked to see the alleged video, but she did not show it to him. . . .

. . . . Ellison, in a statement, denied allegations of abuse.

“Karen and I were in a long-term relationship which ended in 2016,” Ellison said, according to the statement obtained by the Star Tribune . “I still deeply care for her well-being. This video does not exist because I never behaved in this way, and any characterization otherwise is false.”

Keep Up With This Story And More By Subscribing Now

Via ThinkProgress, Monahan spoke directly to Ellison.

“You know this is true,” she said. “You know what you did.”

Ellison is running as the Democratic nominee in the race for Minnesota’s attorney general. Primary elections are set for Tuesday.

“People can vote for whoever they feel is the best candidate based on their values,” Monahan told CNN on Monday. “This has nothing to do with that. Me sharing my story has nothing to do with the primary election. It is never a good time for a survivor to share their story. If I waited a week later, it would become an issue between a Democrat and Republican.” . . .

Sounds like Karen Monahan isn’t the only one afraid of him . . .

. . . Three friends of Monahan, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of backlash, told CNN she had confided in them about the bed incident in the months after she had moved out of Ellison’s apartment.

Monahan also shared with CNN dozens of screenshots of text messages and Twitter direct messages she claimed she exchanged with Ellison.

Monahan provided one text of her mentioning the physical altercation to Ellison in December 2017. . . .

Emphasis mine

I checked the following and I don’t think Laura Loomer is a proverbial onion.

It sounds like she is a real journalist (these days you can’t be too careful).

She seems to have credible back up to her story

(a police report by a woman named Amy Alexander lodged a police complaint against a man in an alleged police document.)

The document describes this alleged domestic abuser as a man named “Keith Ellison”.

“Keith Ellison” was associated with this alleged domestic abuse complaint from this woman (Amy Alexander) back in 2005.

So this MAY have not been the first of these incidences of allegations of woman beating (assault or as the police report reads “SHE WAS ASLT’D BY ELLISON” - all caps original) . . . .

. . . Also . . .

. . . Underneath the location noted on the report, the report says,

“CLR RPTG SHE WAS ASLT’D BY ELLISON/KEITH/BLACK MALE/41/WEARING SUIT LS LEAVING APT…UNK DIR…NO EMS NEEDED…CLR WANTS TO SEE SQD.”

Keith Ellison is currently 55 years old. The age of the Keith Ellison noted in the police report from 2005 says the accused was a 41-year-old black male, another fact that supports Alexander’s claim. . . .

The victim in an alleged newspaper scan from a 2006 newspaper labels herself "a perennial DFL activist."

DFL = Democratic Farmer Labor Party - what Democrats in MN often refer to themselves as.

I think Ellison is lying

I also don’t think this emotional outburst really qualifies him as an abuser.

Robby Mook: Democrats Should Stop Campaigning with Keith Ellison

Joshua Caplan 16 Aug 2018 Breitbart News

Robby Mook, Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign manager, said Thursday that Democrats should cease campaigning for Democratic National Committee deputy chairman Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) after allegations of domestic abuse surfaced against the Minnesota Attorney General candidate.

Mook, appearing on CNN to discuss the explosive accusations against Ellison, said the Minnesota lawmaker must be held “accountable” if the allegations are factual. “Right now, in this moment, should Democrats be campaigning with him? Like Amy Klobuchar? What should she be doing?” CNN anchor Kate Bolduan asked Mook. . . .

. . . Karen Monahan issued a separate statement regarding the allegation, in which she claims to have developed post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after dating the Democratic National Committee deputy chairman. She also diagnoses Ellison with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) despite having never undergone psychiatric training.

“After several years of being in a relationship with Keith Ellison, It became clear. I had survived narcissist abuse. Unless you have been through narcissist abuse, it is the most difficult form of abuse to articulate,” Monahan said. “It is a slow insidious form of abuse. You don’t realize it is happening until it’s too late. Now that I understand it and have done so much healing . . .

Well, if this video really exists, publishing it would settle the question.

Agreed. As despicable as abuse is, I think it’s a real stretch to call this abuse.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.