Kellyanne Conway may have broken the law by endorsing Ivanka Trump's products on live TV

One of Donald Trump’s most senior advisers may have broken the law by endorsing his daughter’s brands on live TV.

“Go buy Ivanka’s stuff… It’s a wonderful line, I own some of it. I’m going to give a free commercial here, go buy it today.”, said Kellyanne Conway, the Counselor to the President, on FOX News while she appeared to be standing inside the White House press briefing room.

Larry Noble, the general counsel for the Campaign Legal Centre, a nonpartisan organization based in Washington DC, immediately suggested she had broken the law.

The statute he cited, 5 CFR 2635.702, addresses the “use of public office for private gain”. Part © states: “An employee shall not use or permit the use of his Government position or title or any authority associated with his public office to endorse any product, service or enterprise”, except in certain circumstances.

On the otherhand, Conway may have just been taking her cue from the man at the top who lashed out at Nordstroms in a tweet after the department store dropped First Daughter’s Ivanka Trump’s clothing line.

independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/kellyanne-conway-break-law-illegal-ivanka-trump-fashion-branc-product-endorse-live-tv-usp-resident-a7571621.html

Republican House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz says White House counselor Kellyanne Conway’s promotion of Ivanka Trump’s fashion brand was “wrong, wrong, wrong, clearly over the line, unacceptable.”

The Republican congressman said the White House must refer the matter to the Office of Government Ethics for review. He said he and Democratic Oversight Leader Elijah Cummings are writing a letter to the office and he will also write to President Donald Trump about the matter.

“It needs to be dealt with,” he told The Associated Press. “There’s no ifs, ands or buts about it.”

washingtonpost.com/politics/whitehouse/the-latest-trump-wishes-china-a-prosperous-new-year/2017/02/08/6daba6b6-ee6c-11e6-a100-fdaaf400369a_story.html

I guess Chaffetz committee will deal with this mistake on the part of Conway. We’ll see what they do.

It’s far more serious, of course, than Obama’s direct endorsement of Pi Pizzaria and flying its chef amid much fanfare to DC to serve pizza there. But maybe the president is excepted from that particular statute.

:crying::crying:

Picked on because she is a woman.

Direct endorsement? Can you link to a quote?

White House says Conway has been ‘counseled’ after touting Ivanka Trump’s product

President Trump’s official counselor, Kellyanne Conway, was “counseled” after she told TV audiences to “go buy Ivanka’s stuff,” the White House said Thursday.

Legal experts said Conway had broken a key ethics law banning federal employees from using their public office to endorse products. White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Thursday that Conway “has been counseled,” but offered no other comment.Don W. Fox, former general counsel and former acting director of OGE, told The Washington Post that “Conway’s encouragement to buy Ivanka’s stuff would seem to be a clear violation of rules prohibiting misuse of public office for anyone’s private gain.”

He added: “This is jaw-dropping to me. This rule has been promulgated by the federal Office of Government Ethics as part of the Standards of Conduct for all executive branch employees and it applies to all members of the armed forces as well.”

I think she clearly broke the law, but I also think that there needs to be some understanding and discretion in these matters. To be fair, it is a new administration, and frankly very few of them know anything about government. Admonishment and training is probably the correct response. If this kind of behavior continues, that would be another matter.

The liberals on this forum will not be happy if that happens.

Normally a President brings in a staff that does not need on-the-job training in matters of what is allowed in their position.

There hasn’t been a White House position like Kellyanne Conway’s position before, at least not one that I remember.

What what I hear, her main job is to conduct polls, speak to the media on news shows, and counsel the President from what she gathers regarding the how the public feels.

She’s like of like a PR person.

NOTE: she objectively broke the law. But like Hillary Clinton, she didn’t intend to break the law. :smiley:

But since Kellyanne Conway is a person who attends daily mass, I’m going to cut her slack.

I agree, and I have many (many, many) concerns about staffing at the White House. But it is not productive to get distracted chasing after what seems to be a minor infraction. Let Chaffetz admonish them, get them some training, and then let’s see if the behavior persists.

I think that all Americans (and I identify as neither “liberal” or “conservative”) should pay more attention to real issues with our government, and not be distracted by nonsense. Most of what Kellyanne says and does falls into the latter category. Again, if the behavior persists that changes things. But this one incident is not worth our collective energies.

You mean like not putting secret and top secret matters on a personal server in one’s home? One would think such things would be discussed fairly early on.

I hope that you are not suggesting that HRC put secret and top secret matters on a personal server in her home. No evidence of that has been set forth.

I’ll confess that I don’t know whether they were found on her server at home or on the server she had set up in a closet elsewhere. But there is no question at all that she had “confidential”, “secret” and “top secret” information on “her private server” at whichever location it was.

politico.com/story/2016/01/22-hillary-clinton-emails-declared-top-secret-218420

Sanctuary cities break the law all the time.

This is small potatoes.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I too.

Don’t you remember when that evidence was produced in the Bowling Green massacre investigation?

Trump is using an old, unsecured Android phone to tweet that apparently doesn’t have the most does basic security measures in place.

Technically, many sanctuary cities only refuse to offer cooperation in federal law enforcement matters, Since they aren’t legally required to enforce federal laws, in that case they aren’t breaking any laws at all. That doesn’t mean they’re on ethically solid ground, but that’s a different matter. (I think we all know that irresponsibly reporting that massacres that didn’t actually happen are unknown by the general public because they “weren’t covered” is ethically problematic, as well.)

I actually don’t know if there are any sanctuary cities who ARE breaking a federal law. I only know that not all are doing so. The definition of “sanctuary city” is very imprecise.

So arrest her.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.