Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin says bloodshed may be needed to protect conservatism

Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin said conservatives may need to turn to physical violence in order to protect the United States against contemporary liberalism.

The Republican governor put forth the controversial suggestion after speaking of the “degradation of society” during an impassioned, 15-minute speech at the Values Voter Summit in Washington, D.C., on Saturday. The provocative comments started to gain national attention at the start of this week.yahoo.com/news/kentucky-gov-matt-bevin-says-bloodshed-might-be-165058821.html

What country ever existed a century and a half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki/index.php/The_tree_of_liberty…(Quotation)

In a way, all US citizens obligated to overthrow their gov of it becomes tyrannical? I mean we’ve all pledged to defend the constitution from enemies foreign and domestic at some point.

What a shame that people are confusing conservatism and/or liberalism with patriotism.

Who is doing that per se? If one views encroaching liberal or conservative views as a serious threat to your nation, Jefferson’s quote would apply to be sure.

Hopefully, it doesn’t come to that, but it did once in 1860, and we survived and thrived.

Would you personally kill a man to defend “conservatism”?

I have no idea. Too vague a question. I am not even saying I agree with Bevin per se. Just thought that Jefferson certainly believed that the preservation of freedom required bloodshed, and Bevin certain doesn’t see progressivism as an aid to freedom.

Oh, it’s ok he said that. Perfectly fine… I mean his last name isn’t Trump so it’s ok to say anything…

I know it’s off topic but I’ve never met a liberal patriot. Perhaps they exist, I’ve never seen a chupacabra or a yeti either… And I’m sure they exist…

Who are the kind of people who go about loudly proclaiming things like “Not in my State” “Not in my City” “Not on my Campus” “Shut it Down” etc. As those people become increasingly more violent, more stringent counter measures will need to be taken.

I guess I am a liberal, especially according to most people in these threads. I also salute the flag, am tired of people who don’t like the president saying that their state should secede or overturn the current administration, believe that people should pay their taxes, support the military, etc.

Of course we haven’t personally met, so I guess your record is still good.

I am an American and proud of it.

I don’t think he was saying conservatives may need to fight for “conservatism”, but that conservatives may have to fight for “liberty”. Religious freedom, free speech, the right to self defense, property rights, etc. are all under assault by “contemporary liberalism”. At some point, violence may be called for to protect those rights. I think that is what Bevin was trying to say, though not very well.

from the article:
“America is worth fighting for ideologically. I want us to be able to fight ideologically, mentally, spiritually, economically, so that we don’t have to do it physically. But that may, in fact, be the case,” he told the crowd.”

Sounds to me like he is saying anything physical would be a very last resort. That is a bit different picture than the one painted by the headline of the article

This love of death, and not conservative or liberal ideas per se, is the tragic flaw of our nation.

Not really a surprise, as we long since forgot that you need life to hold or make use of beliefs of any kind, including freedom. A dead body couldn’t care less how much chain is wrapped around his limbs; nor what anybody is saying or doing above his rolled-back eyes.

I am not this gentleman’s constituent; but if I were, I’d not only vote against his reelection but campaign for the opponent.

ICXC NIKA

If you campaigned against Bevin’s opponent in the 2015 race, you’d be campaigning for Jack Conway, a man who supports abortion and same sex marriage.

That might be better than one who advocates civil war, which is how I’m reading this.

As I live nowhere near his state, it’s not an issue. But someone who advocates violence needs the boot.

ICXC NIKA

:thumbsup:

Not that I disagree, though I question whether he is an advocate, but doesn’t anyone who promotes tax-payer funded abortion do just that? I agree they need the boot, btw.

I don’t think the Governor is advocating anything more than the use of force in self defense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.