Kepha or Cephas?

I am confused on this. Is “Cephas” the transliteration of Aramaic to Greek or is it the latinization of Kepha from Greek or Aramaic?
In simpler terms, what is the difference between “Cephas” and “Kepha”?

When pronouncing names in the Bible, the letter “c” is always pronounced as a “k”.

I don’t know who decided to use the English letter “c” to transliterate the Greek letter “kappa” (which even looks like a “k”), but I’d like to spank him. Hard.

How do you pronounce “come,” “caught,” “craft,” “close,” or “catch”?

Maybe you need to rethink that bit about spanking :stuck_out_tongue:

Those examples all have vowels other than E or I. Most of the time when a C is followed by an E or an I, it is pronounced as an S.

St Jerome’s the one to spank. See 1 Cor. 1:12 in the Vulgate:

vatican.va/archive/bible/nova_vulgata/documents/nova-vulgata_nt_epist-i-corinthios_lt.html

To be fair to poor old Jerome, he was only doing what the Romans had done centuries earlier. Κυπρος in Greek was transliterated as Cyprus in Latin, Κορινθος as Corinthus, and so on.

The Romans. You’re gonna have a lot of spanking to do. :smiley:

We’re talking about names transliterated from Greek to English, not English words.

“C” in classical latin is pronounced “k”. Κυπρος in Greek and Cyprus in Latin would sound almost identical. I rest my case.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.