Kerala, hand severed of Christian Professor accused of blasphemy

asianews.it/news-en/Kerala,-hand-severed-of-Christian-Professor-accused-of-blasphemy-18843.html

From the Forum Rules:

Use the original title. When you post an article, be sure to use the original title in the subject of your post.

Have we forgotten events like the Tulsa Riots and lynchings where "peaceful Christians" have done worse? This atrocity was not the actions of the a government, but rather of a prejudiced mob. Like the shootings in Tulsa.

Just as the 1921 massacre of black people by "Bible-carrying Christians" was condemned by other Christians, so too was this outrage by Muslems.

"The attack against Joseph has been condemned by several Muslim organizations, including the Indian Union Muslim League (Iuml) and the Jama'at-e-Islami, which calls for a significant response against the culprits. Panakad Hyderali Shiyab Thangal, supreme leader of Iuml, has asked that the perpetrators be prosecuted harshly."

We need keep Matthew 7:5 in mind when making instant judgments.

Thank you for your post, Rich, you took the words right out of my mouth!! :thumbsup:

Just as there are people claiming to be “Christian” who commit some rather un-Christian deeds, so too are there radical Muslims whose acts do not represent those of their religion as a whole. Unfortunately, this is the stuff that makes for interesting headlines.

I doubt we’lll ever see headlines like “99% of Muslims spent the day at work, cleaned the house, mowed the lawn, walked the dog, went grocery shopping, all without killing, maiming, or injuring anyone, then went home and minded their own business for the rest of the evening.”

My daughter’s college roomie is Muslim, and my daughter managed to get through a whole year of school with all of her extremities intact. :rolleyes:

Miz

Blessed are the peacemakers...

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:3, topic:204334"]
Have we forgotten events like the Tulsa Riots and lynchings where "peaceful Christians" have done worse? This atrocity was not the actions of the a government, but rather of a prejudiced mob. Like the shootings in Tulsa.

Just as the 1921 massacre of black people by "Bible-carrying Christians" was condemned by other Christians, so too was this outrage by Muslems.

"The attack against Joseph has been condemned by several Muslim organizations, including the Indian Union Muslim League (Iuml) and the Jama'at-e-Islami, which calls for a significant response against the culprits. Panakad Hyderali Shiyab Thangal, supreme leader of Iuml, has asked that the perpetrators be prosecuted harshly."

We need keep Matthew 7:5 in mind when making instant judgments.

[/quote]

The fact that you have to go back to 1921 to dig this up says something.

[quote="NotCrazyDan, post:6, topic:204334"]

[/quote]

Yeah, it says we're not as far removed as we'd like to think we are. And, I am sure one can find some more recent items if the need is really there.

Scott Roeder.

[/quote]

You know what it says? It says that some Christians can be just as handy doing atrocities as the adherents of any other religion and that time has nothing to do with it.

You want more? How many lynchings do you need as evidence that some Bible-believing church-going Christians can be not so "peace-loving"?

What about the 1946 lynching of four black sharecroppers in Georgia by white Christians? How about the 1955 lynching of Emmett Till in Mississippi by white Christians? Or the 1981 lynching of an Alabaman black man by whites? How about the 1998 murder of a 49 year old black father of three in Texas by white Christians?

Even if the last incident were in 1900, it still would demonstrate that adherents of Christianity acting in a mob aren't immune from committing atrocities.

[/quote]

Of course what Rich doesn't bother to say is how very complex that whole time was. It wasn't simply "Christians against blacks". For example one of the key incidences that led up to the riot was the lynching of a white man (Roy Belton) by a white mob 9 months earlier. Roy Belton was in jail because he killed a black man.

Here's a good source for information on that time period. Warning it is very long!
Tulsa Race Riot

As far as the op, this is simply par for the course in predominately Muslims areas. How many times have we heard of something like this happening in a predominately Muslim area?

[quote="Sabda, post:10, topic:204334"]
Of course what Rich doesn't bother to say is how very complex that whole time was.

[/quote]

That is immaterial. What is material is that white Christians carried out a slaughter of black people. Surely, you aren't going to excuse them because "the times, they were complex"???

As far as the op, this is simply par for the course in predominately Muslims areas. How many times have we heard of something like this happening in a predominately Muslim area?

Par for the course? What about the fear that black people living in the South had on a daily basis? That was par for the course, too.

Mob violence is NOT restricted to Muslims. Jews who survived the Holocaust were set upon by murderous Catholic mobs in some cities of eastern Europe.

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:7, topic:204334"]
Yeah, it says we're not as far removed as we'd like to think we are. And, I am sure one can find some more recent items if the need is really there.

[/quote]

I'll give you one from personal experience, in fact I'll give you two. These are from personally witnessed events. First all though as they concern anti-Catholic bigotry let it be said there are some equallly nasty bits of anti-Protestant bigotry from the areas concerned but as I didn't personally witness those I've steered clear of using them as examples.

Both of these are from the north of Ireland within the last decade

No 1. A fire set at the house of a Catholic woman who married a Protestant gentleman - this led to the death of 2 small children. Even while the fire was ongoing some people could be heard shouting in the crowd about 'barbecued papists' and how as the papists dind'nt eat meat on a Friday they could keep the dead kids in the fridge.

No 2. A young lad was beaten to death by a gang. Shortly after his funeral effigies of him and the Pope were burnt together and signs saying 'they are both in Hell' and other such lovely sentiments were displayed. I had the great joy of seeing these signs via a Protestant friend of mine who asked me to visit him. He was deeply ashamed and told these people so (that took more guts than I have to be honest) he got threatened in return.

[quote="Miserys_Fence, post:4, topic:204334"]
Thank you for your post, Rich, you took the words right out of my mouth!! :thumbsup:

Just as there are people claiming to be "Christian" who commit some rather un-Christian deeds, so too are there radical Muslims whose acts do not represent those of their religion as a whole. Unfortunately, this is the stuff that makes for interesting headlines.

I doubt we'lll ever see headlines like "99% of Muslims spent the day at work, cleaned the house, mowed the lawn, walked the dog, went grocery shopping, all without killing, maiming, or injuring anyone, then went home and minded their own business for the rest of the evening."

My daughter's college roomie is Muslim, and my daughter managed to get through a whole year of school with all of her extremities intact. :rolleyes:

Miz

[/quote]

Two of my best friends are Muslimsand both were at my wedding. There was a noticeable lack of the two ladies running about with the table knifes and hacking away at us. Both would condemn in the strongest manner the despicable act this thread references. One of the young ladies has in fact personal experience of Muslim violence against other Muslims as her family fled Iran after the revolution there as they were perceived as too corrupt by the religious police.

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:9, topic:204334"]
You know what it says? It says that some Christians can be just as handy doing atrocities as the adherents of any other religion and that time has nothing to do with it.

[/quote]

I think your point lends credence to the claim that Islam needs its own reformation. The Tulsa Riot is indeed a very low point in US history (were these people "Christian"?), but given the context of the times, not surprising. It was the result of centuries of blacks being viewed as sub human, with less rights than white Americans.

Islam, too, has a 1400 year history of oppressing people of other faiths, which continues to this day. Apostacy from Islam or proseletyzing to Muslims is a capital offense in many Christian nations.

While a majority of Muslims don't support this kind of act, they do support the weltanschauung in which such acts are possible: Shar'ia. Just ask any Muslim here what the death penalty from Islam should be, and see the responses. Oppression of religious freedom and religious minorities is prevalent in many Muslim societies, even "western" ones like Egypt.

[quote="scipio337, post:14, topic:204334"]
...Apostacy from Islam or proseletyzing to Muslims is a capital offense in many Christian nations...

[/quote]

Apostacy FROM Islam or proseletyzing to Muslims is a capital offense in many CHRISTIAN countries?! :confused:

Did you mean Islamic countries, scipio?

When my wife was first diagnosed with cancer several years ago, the first person who promised to pray for her was the Muslim father of one of my wife’s pupils (she was a schoolteacher) who was about to go to Mecca to make the Hadj. He visited to assure her that he would pray for her.

This is not to say that our Catholic friends didn’t pray for her, but he was touchingly sincere in wanting her to have the comfort of his praying to God when he was at that most holy place of his faith. His children most enthusiastically assured her of the benefits of those prayers.

As for killers: my cardiologist is a Muslim, and if anyone could pull off killing a Christian without detection, it would be he. :wink:

[quote="scipio337, post:14, topic:204334"]
I think your point lends credence to the claim that Islam needs its own reformation. The Tulsa Riot is indeed a very low point in US history (were these people "Christian"?), but given the context of the times, not surprising. It was the result of centuries of blacks being viewed as sub human, with less rights than white Americans.

Islam, too, has a 1400 year history of oppressing people of other faiths, which continues to this day. Apostacy from Islam or proseletyzing to Muslims is a capital offense in many Muslim majority nations.

While a majority of Muslims don't support this kind of act, they do support the weltanschauung in which such acts are possible: Shar'ia. Just ask any Muslim here what the death penalty from Islam should be, and see the responses. Oppression of religious freedom and religious minorities is prevalent in many Muslim societies, even "western" ones like Egypt.

[/quote]

[quote="antonivs, post:15, topic:204334"]
Apostacy FROM Islam or proseletyzing to Muslims is a capital offense in many CHRISTIAN countries?! :confused:

Did you mean Islamic countries, scipio?

[/quote]

Whoops! Fixed it! :o

The difference between Christianity and Islam, and the primary reason why Islam will never be able to escape its inherent barbarism, is that Christianity does not have a codified law demanding death and other punishments for certain acts (or certain statuses). The law in the old testament that did have those things has been superseded.

Islam does not have that kind of separation and thus an honest Muslim has to accept Sharia law as correct despite whatever his personal feelings might be.

[quote="Rich_Olszewski, post:11, topic:204334"]
That is immaterial. What is material is that white Christians carried out a slaughter of black people. Surely, you aren't going to excuse them because "the times, they were complex"???

Par for the course? What about the fear that black people living in the South had on a daily basis? That was par for the course, too.

Mob violence is NOT restricted to Muslims. Jews who survived the Holocaust were set upon by murderous Catholic mobs in some cities of eastern Europe.

[/quote]

Who said they where Christian? What I do know is that Tulsa was a cesspool of immorality at the time with a police department that was extremely weak. My goodness the police department gave up a man to a mob for lynching! I also know that what happened back then was basically a race war. No I'm not excusing any of it. But it did happen and Tulsa has taken the steps to try and learn from the situation so they won't repeat it.

As far as Islamic societies goes, I'm sorry but what you find in predominantly Muslim countries is exactly the kind of thing that happened to this professor. What happened to him is not unusual. As I said it's par for the course in a Muslim society. If they really want to change they will stop this kind of thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.