Kevorkian: “The Single Worst Moment of my Life … Was the Moment I Was Born”

TODAY’S HEADLINES | SEND NEWS TIPS | DONATE
SHARE: E-MAIL PRINT

By James Tillman and John Jalsevac

June 15, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) – “The single worst moment of my life . . . was the moment I was born.” So says Dr. Jack Kevorkian in a recent interview with CNN.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, the journalist conducting the interview, confessed that the remark left him speechless – especially since Kevorkian offered the strange and macabre confession without any provocation or lead-up question.

Gupta writes that, “Throughout the two-and-a-half hour interview, [Kevorkian] fluctuated wildly between being downright combative and hostile to being sweet and fatherly.”

The journalist also mentioned Kevorkian’s “crazed rants,” “often about the Ninth Amendment to the Constitution, complete with a defense of James Madison and trashing of Thomas Jefferson.”

The interview is part of the lead-up to Kevorkian’s Thursday interview at 9 PM EST on Larry King Live.

Kevorkian or “Dr. Death” has helped approximately 130 people kill themselves. He also spent 8 years in prison for the second-degree murder of Thomas Youk, who was in the final stages of Amytrophic Lateral Scelerosis at the time of his death. Kevorkian had given Youk the lethal injection himself, and, in a videotape of Youk’s death, dared authorities to try to convict him.

Kevorkian told Gupta that he believes his case should have been heard by the Supreme Court, because the issue of assisted suicide is a constitutional issue. Everyone, says Kevorkian, should have the right to kill him or her self.

"They just don’t get it in Oregon, " he says. “Or in Washington state or Montana, the other states,” where assisted suicide is currently legal. Assisted suicide is only legal in these states if someone has a terminal illness
lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/jun/10061507.html

And so, Kevorkian became a serial killer.

What a guy!

And, to think, some people look up to him.

In other words, the souls of “approximately 130 people” may be metaphorically “weeping and grinding their teeth”, and thinking: “The single worst moment of my life… was the moment Kevorkian was born.”.

Small point maybe: but actually, the fatal “moment” occurred nine months earlier.

I remember back when this guy was in his heyday, and I had to wonder why he was still allowed to run around loose.

He isn't wrapped too tight, and he never was----he paints these godawful, grisly, hideous paintings full of blood and death and decay; he definitely is not dealing with a full deck.

[quote="Fink, post:3, topic:202202"]
In other words, the souls of "approximately 130 people" may be metaphorically "weeping and grinding their teeth", and thinking: "The single worst moment of my life... was the moment Kevorkian was born.".

Small point maybe: but actually, the fatal "moment" occurred nine months earlier.

[/quote]

Metaphorically?I think literally.I'm not judging them but I remember my Baltimore CatechismI trust in the Mercy of God but fear His Justice as well..I wouldn't be in Kevorkian's shoes for all the tea in China.It almost seems he was killing these people out of self-hatred.Why this serial killer EVER got out of prison to further spread his poison is beyond me.

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:2, topic:202202"]
And so, Kevorkian became a serial killer.

[/quote]

Yeah, because serial killers usually kill people who request to die because they are experiencing unbearable pain.

Spot on logic, my friend.

What a sad pathetic fellow this is.

Yes another example of Hannah Arendt's idea that the world's greatest evil do not come from the powerful and the mighty, but from the weak and the banal.

[quote="AntiTheist, post:6, topic:202202"]
Yeah, because serial killers usually kill people who request to die because they are experiencing unbearable pain.

[/quote]

Perhaps that's his M.O. ;)

[quote="AntiTheist, post:6, topic:202202"]

[/quote]

With the drugs we have available all pain is "manageable",that is a hoary old truism that haS BEEN FLOATED BY APOLOGISTS FOR SUICIDE SEEKERS FOR YEARS.Not quite spot on logic in your case,friend.If you want to kill yourself friend simply google it-there are plenty of painless ways to go-just don't involve the rest of us who have slightly more respect for life and understand the Christ-like significance of suffering.Something you don't want to have any clue about.

Believe it or not I respect Athiests-I can think of at least one-Lynx that I'd like to have as a personal friend.I respect him,because he states his positions sans sardonicism and sarcasm.He simply doesn't believe in God-Atheism-a fine old Faith.

Your name however speaks volumes and your posts accurately reflect it and are ever so easily dismissed,I wouldn't move to Belgium or Holland by the way because should you get sick your "doctor"heir to Kervorkian might just decide that your time is up,without your knowledge nor consent.

[quote="Soutane, post:5, topic:202202"]
Metaphorically?I think literally

[/quote]

The disembodied spirits "in" hell wont have any tears to weep or teeth to grind until theyre "reunited" with their "reconditioned" bodies. The bodies of JRR Tolkien`s orcs will look quite presentable compared with the models those silly beggars will get. Their teeth will probably be broken already.

.I'm not judging them but I remember my Baltimore CatechismI trust in the Mercy of God but fear His Justice as well..I wouldn't be in Kevorkian's shoes for all the tea in China.It almost seems he was killing these people out of self-hatred.

You`ve probably hit the nail on the head. At least Judas had the decency to kill only himself; unlike this pied piper of death and despair.

Why this serial killer EVER got out of prison to further spread his poison is beyond me.

In this corrupt and decadent West, just about any form of depravity is possible.

The Hippocratic Oath has been discarded in favour of the Hypocritic Oath.

Hypocritic Oath indeed.

He's the Culture of Death poster boy. The more people that see him and hear his sick ramblings the sooner people will wake up and smell the coffee.

Bang on-the more exposure(unedited)he gets the more dysfunctional he and his self-hatred will become apparent to the still impressionable.We are responsible for every word or misdeed committed by a Christian,Jew or Moslem but the seculars will just ignore him,disown him or blame US for his patheticness.Just Watch.

[quote="Soutane, post:9, topic:202202"]
Your name however speaks volumes and your posts ...]

[/quote]

My style of posting aside, I correctly noted a category error in the post I replied to. We do not use the term "serial killer" to refer to people who kill others who are willing to die.

And it's not some innocent logical error, either -- it was done deliberately in an attempt (clumsy though it may be) to rhetorically turn readers off to this man and to avoid having to consider the reasons that people might want to die and the reasons -- perhaps even the ethical reasons -- that someone would want to help suffering people to die.

I call logical errors what they are. If that bothers you, feel free to ignore my posts. No one's forcing you to read them.

the Christ-like significance of suffering.Something you don't want to have any clue about.

No, I don't. While I'm perfectly on board with sentiments like "that which does not kill me can only make me stronger," I see no virtue to prolonging suffering for its own sake, or in the service of some imaginary ghoul who enjoys it, and I find the fetishizing of it absolutely ghastly.

You drip with contempt for our Faith.Referring to Christ as an "imaginary ghoul"is stepping over the line.I have reported this post to the moderator.There are Atheists and there are Atheists and there are Anti-theists and you have revealed yourself for who you truly are.I pity you.

[quote="Soutane, post:15, topic:202202"]
You drip with contempt for our Faith.Referring to Christ as an "imaginary ghoul"is stepping over the line.I have reported this post to the moderator.There are Atheists and there are Atheists and there are Anti-theists and you have revealed yourself for who you truly are.I pity you.

[/quote]

It`ll be interesting to see what happens.

[/quote]

The Kevorkian idea that life itself is unnecessary suffering seems to have really hit home with him.
It is a hard road to Golgotha, but denying the truth of Christ in no way relieves anyone of the fact that that is the road that we are all on, in spite of what we may or may not believe.

[/quote]

Uh-oh. Antitheist had better watch out. He's going to have a mark on his permanent record. :eek:

I still think of that Far Side cartoon where Death goes to the movies and finds out his girlfriend Judy has dumped him for Dr. Kevorkian...

[quote="Soutane, post:9, topic:202202"]
With the drugs we have available all pain is "manageable",that is a hoary old truism that haS BEEN FLOATED BY APOLOGISTS FOR SUICIDE SEEKERS FOR YEARS.

[/quote]

I follow the Church's teaching concerning so-called "euthanasia," so I'm not advocating for the legalization of assisted-suicide, but I disagree with your assertion that the drugs available to us make "all pain manageable." I believe that you will find cases of bone cancer, for example, in which no non-lethal amount of drugs will "manage" the pain. Also, some people do not respond as well as others to opiates and opiods.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.