Keys to raising a large happy family

3 Likes

The first key is to have a large family; hard to do without that.

And from the article, it may not hurt to have a four year contract for $83,250,000 and a $22,500,000 signing bonus and a guarantee for the above of a minimum $65,000,000; with an annual salary of $20,812,500 (and all the Gatorade you can consume).

5 Likes

We have family that had 12 and they made it on his teacher’s salary. Easy no but doable.

7 Likes

Yes, not sure money is tops on the list. I too have known families with 10 kids and two families with 16 kids. Neither were rich, but got through it. All were Catholic, and churchgoers.

8 Likes

Mentally healthy parents and extended family nearby to help with babysitting.

6 Likes

Love. A strong parental relationship. It is what gets you through it.

4 Likes

The times were certainly different, but my father is one of 15 (3 died in infancy). The family certainly wasn’t by any means well off; my grandfather was a mill worker.

4 Likes

I miss those jobs :disappointed:

3 Likes

I am the 7th of 9 kids from a non-Catholic family. We were Presbyterian but my father’s Catholic friends at work playfully made him an “honorary Catholic” for having so many children. :grinning:

For me, compromise and sharing are big factors I learned from being a part of a large family.

We only had one bathroom, too, so I learned to pay attention to everyone’s schedules and tendencies and adjusted accordingly as much as possible.

7 Likes

How did you keep all the toothbrushes straight? They only come in about six colors. Different brands? Where you put them? Didn’t care if others used them? (Ewww). Just something I’ve always wondered. Being an only child, I couldn’t fathom how large families survived! :scream::joy::scream:.

1 Like

Honestly? Let each child be children! Many kids in big families end up the 3rd/4th parent and it can sometimes stunt their growth.

Being intentional about caring and paying attention to each kid although I’m sure this must be hard. A family of 4 kids and my parents couldn’t do that no matter how hard they tried. That’s the main thing that scares me about having many kids one day. Besides dealing with labour multiple times obviously.

1 Like

I’m one of 13. Minimalism is a huge part of living in a big family.

Except for toothbrushes. My mother stocked dozens of toothbrushes in the bathroom cabinet, and each toothbrush had a name written in sharpie.

2 Likes

Yes, I forgot to put in labeling! Good to know! :heart:

“Minimalism is a huge part of living in a big family.”

Less can be best.
Yep it may not be the latest whatever or the fanciest but it’s clean and it gets used until it can’t be used anymore. 2nd hand is perfectly fine for some things. What is GREAT is learning to share early, knowing it’s not all about you, that family is everybody doing their share, no matter what water goes under the bridge you know you have people you have known since birth and you can depend on them.

This. Mature and well adjusted parents and support.

If I recall correctly, my mother had little hooks for each of the little kids’ toothbrushes on the ledge near the bathroom sink.

However, I think that my older sisters used to bring their toothbrushes and personal items back and forth from their upstairs bedroom.

There were four bedrooms in the house. Our oldest brother (oldest child, like “John Boy Walton” had a tiny bedroom upstairs. Three of my sisters (next oldest three ) shared a large bedroom upstairs.

The next three were boys, including me as youngest son, and we had bunk beds with one of my little sisters in a downstairs large bedroom, while our baby sister stayed with Mom and Dad.

As children went to college and/or got married, it freed up space for realignment, including my two little sisters sharing their own room as they grew older.

It was definitely interesting but it worked out for us.

4 Likes

The “only one bathroom” is the hardest for me to wrap my head around! I had trouble sharing a bathroom with three college roommates! Yes, I learned to share…as an only child, I was often less possessive of my things than many others with siblings as I never was forced to share and just willingly did so.

However, bathroom privacy was one area I never felt comfortable with sharing! :hugs:

1 Like

So do the people in the small towns where there was a mill.

6 Likes

My mother came from a six-child family, which as far as I know was not all that well off, but, as you say, times were different.

The cost of housing wasn’t as high compared to family income.

Ma and Pa weren’t expected weren’t expected to sock money away into a college fund to pay an astronomical cost of college.

They weren’t expected to pay for cell phones, computers, and a lot of other things that parents today are expected to provide for their kids.

5 Likes

Especially nowadays in this pandemic and the need for online schooling.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.