Kicking an addiction!

Hi, I need lots of prayers and some good advice. I have an eating disorder and have had it for many years. Although I have tried everything else -(doctors, meds, in-patient treatment, outpatient treatment, support groups) the only semi-permanent solution came from prayer and white-knuckling it! In fact I had three years free of this a couple of years ago then fell off the wagon. Not many people know about it because I am good at concealing it but I am so frustrated and feel terrible about it - I feel like a great sinner because I am not able to solve this! I go to Confession and frequent communion. I find that on days when I pray the rosary literally all day throughout the day, that I am able to be successful at controlling it. Need prayers! I am the mother of seven, 5 sons, 2 daughters, and am so blessed right now to have all of them except one active and involved in the Church - including one seminarian. So God is good and has blessed me but I can’t seem to give God back my will and desire to be pleasing to Him. Thanks! Thea

I don’t have any advice that you haven’t already tried, but I am more than happy to offer prayers for you!:o

Pray, Pray and pray for you.

This is what I do every day at Mass,Before I receive the body and blood of Our Lord I pray, May your body and blood heal me , give me strength and courage,and Hail Mary stop me from putting food in my mouth all the time.

God Bless
:gopray2: :highprayer: :highprayer: :highprayer: :crossrc:

Thea, I’m moved somewhere close to a tear by your predicament and the difficulty and regret that you so humbly reveal…but if that painful cross is what it takes to offer as sacrifce, that all but one of your children remain practising Catholics and one’s studying for the priesthood, I think I might trade in my neat figure! You’ll be the belle of the ball in heaven for the graces that it is possible that your many efforts and prayers have helped to draw upon your family! Don’t doubt, darling girl, that you are pleasing to God. Success isn’t succeeding, success with God is trying, and keeping on trying, even when it seems impossible.

Love, Trishie

Isaiah says, “I was thinking: ‘I have toiled in vain, I have exhausted myself for nothing.’ And all the while my cause was with God, my reward with my God.” [Isaiah 49:3-4] For “the Lord is not being slow to carry out His promises…but He is being patient with you all, wanting nobody to be lost and everybody to be brought to change his ways.” [2Peter 3:9]

“The man who with his whole heart serves God will be accepted, his petitions carry to the clouds. The humble man’s prayer pierces the clouds, until it arrives he is inconsolable, nor will he desist until the Most High takes notice of him, acquits the virtuous and delivers judgement. And the Lord will not…be dilatory on their behalf (and will) make them rejoice in His mercy. Mercy is welcome in time of trouble, like rain clouds in time of drought.” [Ecclesiasticus 35:16-19, 23-24]

“Listen to me…you who have been carried since birth,
whom I have carried since the time you were born.
In your old age, I shall still be the same,
when your hair is grey, I shall support you.
I have already done so, I have carried you’
I shall still support and deliver you.” [Isaiah 46:3-4]

“If you aspire to serve the Lord,
prepare yourself for an ordeal.
Be sincere of heart, be steadfast,
and do not be alarmed when disaster comes.
Cling to Him and do not leave him,
so that you may be honoured at the end of your days.
Whatever happens to you, accept it,
and in the uncertainties of your humble state, be patient,
since gold is tested in the fire,
and chosen persons in the furnace of humiliation.
Trust Him and He will uphold you,
follow a straight path and hope in Him.
You, who fear the Lord, wait for His mercy;
do not turn aside in case you fall.
You who fear the Lord, trust Him,
and you will not be baulked of your reward.
You who fear the Lord hope for good things,
for everlasting happiness and mercy…
For the Lord is compassionate and merciful…
Those who fear the Lord do not distain His words,
and those who love Him keep His ways…
Those who fear the Lord keep their hearts prepared
and humble themselves in His presence…
for as His majesty is, so too is His mercy.” [Ecclesiasticus.2, 1-, 11, 15, 17-18]
“All the works of the Lord are good
and He will supply every want in due time.
You must not say, ‘This is worse than that’,
For everything will prove its value in due time.
So now, sing with all your heart and voice
And bless the name of the Lord.” [Ecclesiasticus 39:12-35]

Praying hard that the devil will leave you alone and you can fight this addiction.

*Our Father, who art in Heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus
Holy Mary, Mother of God
pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

*August Queen of the Heavens, heavenly sovereign of the Angels, Thou who from the beginning received from God the power and the mission to crush the head of Satan, we humbly beseech Thee to send Your holy Legions, so that under Thy command and through Thy power, they may pursue the demons and combat them everywhere, suppress their boldness, and drive them back into the abyss. Who is like God? O good and tender Mother, Thou will always be our love and hope! O Divine Mother, send Thy Holy Angels to defend me and to drive far away from me the cruel enemy. Holy Angels and Archangels, defend us, guard us. Amen.

May our blessed Mother carry you during your trials, see you through your addictions, and give you the strength to overcome your addictions.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen. :signofcross: *

Praying that you beat this addiction.

You can do this. Your post shows that your love of our Lord and your trust and faith in Him will get you through this with success. I will continue to pray for you. Hang in there, my dear friend…Diane

Praying for you…

Praying very hard for you to succeed!

thanks to everyone for your prayers and support. I have been offering prayers to Pier Giorgio Frassati and to the holy souls in Purgatory. I know that their prayers are powerful. Just this morning I was reading about the fact that many people do not believe that Satan is a real, living presence. I KNOW that he is real and that he does prowl the earth seeking the ruin of souls. This is a cross that I can bear willingly and offer it up for the love of our Lord and our Blessed Mother. Thank you again for your love. Today is a good day and perhaps the start of something healing. Got to go to cofession twice this week and to daily Mass almost every day - that is a feat because we are ranchers and our priest has several rural parishes and Mass is sporadic. But I was able to attend Tues-Friday and we have Sunday liturgy tonight. God bless and Mary keep all of you for your kindness.

praying for you.

Our father
Hail Mary
Glory Be
:amen:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.