I own a house in a "bad" neighborhood. I can't sell it right now because of the market. i'm worried about my family and it weighs heavily on my mind. my significant other thinks i'm being overly sensitive, but my spider-sense is tingling, so to speek. i grew up in bad parts of town so i think i have a keen sense of these things. maybe i'm being overly sensitive.
my options are to:
wait it out
short sell the house take a ding on credit and have to pay 20k or so in penalties
if i short sell it'll take us a long time to pay off that 20k and then save up another pot of dough for another house as a down. but it'd be nice to get out. my wife is against the short sale option. i just worry when i leave for trips and am not home at night.