Kids' lower IQ scores linked to prenatal pollution

From The NY Times

*CHICAGO — Researchers for the first time have linked air pollution exposure before birth with lower IQ scores in childhood, bolstering evidence that smog may harm the developing brain.

The results are in a study of 249 children of New York City women who wore backpack air monitors for 48 hours during the last few months of pregnancy. They lived in mostly low-income neighborhoods in northern Manhattan and the South Bronx. They had varying levels of exposure to typical kinds of urban air pollution, mostly from car, bus and truck exhaust.*

Full Story: google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j9P3TvW2sr9YkDb0wggex3iDO8SQD99HVF100

I think sometimes the climate change debate overshadows concerns over pollution. Whether you believe man contributes to climate change or not, there is no doubt that air pollution is harmful - reason enough for me to support reduction in green house gases.

The study found that children living in poor neighborhoods tested lower. Beyond that not much else can be determined. I notice they didn’t attempt to explain the link between the two.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.