Killing Abortionists: A Symposium

Killing Abortionists: A Symposium

Jan 2007

Robert George:

I am personally opposed to killing abortionists. However, inasmuch as

my personal opposition to this practice is rooted in a sectarian (Catholic)

religious belief in the sanctity of human life, I am unwilling to impose

it on others who may, as a matter of conscience, take a different view.

Of course, I am entirely in favor of policies aimed at removing the root

causes of violence against abortionists. Indeed, I would go so far as to

support mandatory one-week waiting periods, and even nonjudgmental counseling,

for people who are contemplating the choice of killing an abortionist.

I believe in policies that reduce the urgent need some people feel to kill

abortionists while, at the same time, respecting the rights of conscience

of my fellow citizens who believe that the killing of abortionists is sometimes

a tragic necessity-not a good, but a lesser evil. In short, I am moderately

pro-choice.

I am opposed to murdering anyone.

5th Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Kill.

We need to remember just “why” there will be an outcry.

+Totus Tuus.
-Dawn

You are right to oppose murder but you misinterpret the 5th commandment if you equate all killing with murder. That commandment does not in fact prohibit all killing; what it prohibits is unjustified killing - the deliberate killing of the innocent. The individual is justified in deliberately killing combatants in war and of killing in defense of himself or someone else if lesser actions are not available or effective, and the state is justified in executing criminals. Tiller’s killing was wrong because it was not justifiable even though it will in all likelihood save the life of some children as there aren’t very many “doctors” willing to perform late term abortions.

Ender

I do not equate all killing with murder.

Even through the most evil of acts, God can bring about good. This act is analagous in some ways to Judas’ betrayal of Jesus. The betrayal was infinitely evil, and yet it was through this act that Christ brought about the means of our salvation. So, too, with the murder of this man, while infinitely evil, a number of children (who only God knows) will be spared.

It is not right to do evil that good might come of it, but is it wrong to appreciate the good that does come of an evil act, after the fact? I don’t think so.:shrug:

Over 60 thousand (60,000) in his career…“by his own count.”

1 is too many.

Whoever murdered George Tiller has done a gravely wicked thing. The evil of this action is in no way diminished by the blood George Tiller had on his own hands. No private individual had the right to execute judgment against him. We are a nation of laws. Lawless violence breeds only more lawless violence. Rightly or wrongly, George Tilller was acquitted by a jury of his peers. “Vengeance is mine, says the Lord.” For the sake of justice and right, the perpetrator of this evil deed must be prosecuted, convicted, and punished. By word and deed, let us teach that violence against abortionists is not the answer to the violence of abortion. Every human life is precious. George Tiller’s life was precious. We do not teach the wrongness of taking human life by wrongfully taking a human life. Let our “weapons” in the fight to defend the lives of abortion’s tiny victims, be chaste weapons of the spirit.

• — Robert P. George is McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence at Princeton University.*

More…

Moral Theology 101:

You cannot commit an evil act in the hope that good will come of it. Or, more famously, the ends don’t justify the means.

Ahimsa, can I just clarify by asking what your purpose is for posting this? I couldn’t really tell from your post. I’m very pro-life, & this topic is a little inflammatory. You’re not saying we should have a reasoned argument about whether it’s ok to kill abortionists, are you?

I’m going to hazard a guess that Dr. George’s comments here are made in the context of being very facetious to prove a point. I think he is saying certain politicians’ statements saying they are ‘personally opposed to abortion but can not impose their view on others’ is as ridiculous as saying he is personally opposed to killing abortion providers or slavery.

Wow. :eek: That is just totally sickening and appalling. How could this person hold such a stance?! :mad: Murder is wrong regardless of what your personal conscience may tell you! Abortion is murder as well but that doesn’t mean that the murderer (the abortionist) should be murdered too. :mad:

He is brilliant. He shows, again, that “pro choice” is pro abortion.

Exactly.

I agree with you, Holly. I think his above comment was taken out of context. I saw Dr. George the other day debating on a symposium for Catholics on the Obama administration. It was interesting, & I agree with fix that he seemed brilliant to me. He was arguing with Doug Kmiec about whether Obama truly wants to reduce abortions. I do think he was being facetious here to prove a point that we can’t be personally opposed to something, but support it in our public lives. It was hard to see that when it was not shown in its full context.

He’s exposing how ridiculous the apathetic position of many poeple are towards abortion. He’s using all the popular catch phrases.

I agree. I wish I could remember what channel I saw him on the other day. Did you see it? It was on cspan or cspan2 or something like that. It was a symposium on Catholics & the Obama administration. The female doctor from Harvard who turned down the award from Notre Damme (sorry I can’t remember her name) was a moderator. It was very interesting if anyone saw it & knows how to link a video.

Yes, of course George is being facetious. I don’t see how he, as a Catholic, could be interpreted otherwise.

I did not see the show but read about here.

Dr. George is certainly one of the great minds today.

That’s the one! Thanks for posting it.:thumbsup:

I had to clarify, because some, even Catholics, see this violence as justified because of the great violence Tiller caused. I knew he was being facetious, but I wasn’t sure why you posted it.

You are right on!!! The only killing that would be justifiable would be killing in self defense. Period!! This man is guilty of the same CRIME that the abortionists are…THEY ARE ALL TRYING TO PLAY GOD!!! There is no difference between killing an abortionist, and an abortionist killing babies. Why not let GOD decide the best course of action, which would be education, the promotion of pro life values and PRAYER??? And let HIM handle the rest? IT IS NOT THE JOB OF THE FAITHFUL TO GO AROUND KILLING ABORTIONISTS!!! And the people that see this as saving the lives of babies are thinking exactly like the relativists.

Not to mention the setback this will have on the pro life movement in this country!!! Grave sin affects us all, **and it will be very apparent to all of us in a very short period of time!! And some of the effects might never be apparent, like, how do any of us know that George Tiller might have had a conversion, and been the most effective pro life advocate the world has ever known??? Instead, I am wondering where he is now!!! **

NO ONE WANTS TO BE OBEDIENT TO GOD’S LAWS ANYMORE…AND THIS IS WHAT WE ARE GETTING BECAUSE OF IT!!!:mad:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.