Kim Jong-il says he will get rid of missiles in exchange for ties with Washington

Seoul (AsiaNews/Agencies) - Kim Jong-il , the North Korean leader, last week told a South Korean envoy he would get rid of his country’s nuclear arms once diplomatic ties with the US are “normalised”. Kim Jong-il reportedly said this in a meeting last Friday with Unification Minister Chung Dong-young in Pyongyang.

Briefing the South Korean cabinet about the meeting yesterday, Mr Chung was quoted by a senior official as saying: “If North Korea normalises diplomatic ties with the United States and Washington becomes an ally with Pyongyang, then North Korea would give up all of its missiles.” In February, North Korea declared it possessed nuclear weapons; according to Mr Kim’s latest comments, in order to “give up everything”, the state wants security guarantees.

The south Korean official said Mr Kim had been referring to long-, medium- and short-range missiles, some of which could reach Japan and South Korea. Mr Kim was also quoted as saying that North Korea was ready to end its year-long boycott of six-party talks on its nuclear weapons programme if the US showed it respect.

The US is not likely to react positively to the North Korean leader’s statement. Unless the nuclear standoff is resolved, diplomatic ties between the two states are virtually unattainable. Another bone of contention is the human rights record of North Korea. Proliferation experts believe North Korea could own as many as eight nuclear weapons, however, it is not known it the country has been able to develop a nuclear weapon small enough to fit into a missile warhead. Military experts say North Korea probably does have chemical and biological warheads as well as conventional ones. . . .

Full article

Perhaps if we made it clear to Kim Jong-Il that we have 3 or 4 Minuteman missiles targeted to his living quarters, it might help speed negotiations along.

[quote=JimG]Perhaps if we made it clear to Kim Jong-Il that we have 3 or 4 Minuteman missiles targeted to his living quarters, it might help speed negotiations along.
[/quote]

We probably do, but we do have missiles aimed at China, and the fact is undoubtedly little motivation to either in our negotiations.

I guess mutual assured destruction just isn’t what it used to be. I was just being nostalgic for my old military speciality. Nothing like running through a successful launch sequence to give you that feeling of a job well done. Oops, got to get that out of my system… .

**Kim Jong-il says he will get rid of missiles in exchange for ties with Washington

And I bet he means it, right? What a farce.

[quote=JimG]I guess mutual assured destruction just isn’t what it used to be. I was just being nostalgic for my old military speciality. Nothing like running through a successful launch sequence to give you that feeling of a job well done. Oops, got to get that out of my system… .
[/quote]

You wore a Pocket Rocket? Hah! Me, too, here in Little Rock, where we plumbers babysat the big Titan liquid fuel rockets, in between the endless repairs and maintenance they needed.

Where was the hole you sat in?

[quote=thestickman]Kim Jong-il says he will get rid of missiles in exchange for ties with Washington

And I bet he means it, right? What a farce.

[/quote]

My first thought was, so he get’s rid of missles, but not the nuclear program. Of course, he could also just have a bunch of spare missle parts lieing around. Not that he would build anything, just some stuff laying around… :rolleyes:

[quote=Richardols]You wore a Pocket Rocket? Hah! Me, too, here in Little Rock, where we plumbers babysat the big Titan liquid fuel rockets, in between the endless repairs and maintenance they needed.

Where was the hole you sat in?
[/quote]

I didn’t have spend much time in the hole. I was out at Vandenberg babysitting the real Minuteman crews and missiles as they rotated through for test firings down the Pacific. They were always happy to be there, as it was the only time they really got to shoot at something. And I was just happy not to be at Minot.

[quote=JimG]I didn’t have spend much time in the hole. I was out at Vandenberg babysitting the real Minuteman crews and missiles as they rotated through for test firings down the Pacific.
[/quote]

My crew never got to participate in a launch, just observed.

And I was just happy not to be at Minot.

Was anyone happy to be at that bleak frozen prairie gulag town whistlestop? :slight_smile:

[quote=JimG]I guess mutual assured destruction just isn’t what it used to be.[font=Arial]
[/quote]

lol, I know what you mean. I think the MAD strategy ultimately depends on the sanity of the folks with their “finger on the button”. I’m not convinced of Kim Jong-il’s sanity much less that of the Iranians.[/font]

[font=Arial]

[quote=JimG]I was just being nostalgic for my old military speciality. Nothing like running through a successful launch sequence to give you that feeling of a job well done. Oops, got to get that out of my system…[/font]
[/quote]

It sounds like you have some good stories to tell…

[quote=Wildgraywolf]lol, I know what you mean. I think the MAD strategy ultimately depends on the sanity of the folks with their “finger on the button”. I’m not convinced of Kim Jong-il’s sanity much less that of the Iranians.

It sounds like you have some good stories to tell…
[/quote]

Well, the MAD strategy ultimately ended in us bankrupting the soviet union rather than blowing them up. You’re right about Kim Jong Il. In his case the destruction wouldn’t even be mutual, but even then he’s not sane enough to be trusted with nukes.

None of my stories are there, but you can always check Silo World for some interesting stories from the cold war missile years.

I have thought for a long time now that Kim Jong would cooperate if the US recognized him or invited him to the White House. Problem is, he is a mass murderer, and will continue to be a mass murderer. Do we want to befriend such a man?

Yeah, he just wants to be accepted for who he is. !

Back in 1981, Israel flew a squadron of fighter jets into Iraq and took out Saddam’s almost-complete nuclear reactor facilility. The howls of protests around the world and the condemnations by the UN were fierce, but in the long-run it proved to be one of the most brilliant and correctly-done moves in political history. Because of this set-back, Saddam was never able to develop his nuclear weapons program.

The same should be done to North Korea. Take them out while they can still be taken out. Years from now, the rest of the world may deeply regret that we did not when the chance was there.

And finally, when one considers the horrible political prisons in North Korea that make the Soviet ones look like vacation resorts in comparison, it would be incomprehensible to be friends with the man who is responsible for them.

[quote=JimG]None of my stories are there, but you can always check Silo World for some interesting stories from the cold war missile years.
[/quote]

WOOT! Thanks Jim!

[quote=AnglicanRite]Back in 1981, Israel flew a squadron of fighter jets into Iraq and took out Saddam’s almost-complete nuclear reactor facilility. The howls of protests around the world and the condemnations by the UN were fierce, but in the long-run it proved to be one of the most brilliant and correctly-done moves in political history. Because of this set-back, Saddam was never able to develop his nuclear weapons program.

The same should be done to North Korea. Take them out while they can still be taken out. Years from now, the rest of the world may deeply regret that we did not when the chance was there.

And finally, when one considers the horrible political prisons in North Korea that make the Soviet ones look like vacation resorts in comparison, it would be incomprehensible to be friends with the man who is responsible for them.
[/quote]

I remember this being suggested before. This may be the best way to handle this situation.

We could have ties with North Korea. All they have to do is get rid of Kim Jong Il.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.