Kinda confused...

I think I got it; God always has been. The 3 persons of the Blessed Trinity have always existed. They were not “made” by the Father. My question now is; Are they the same and/or equal in divinity? Does one trump the other? What does it mean when the Son is begotten not made? And the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and Son? Did Jesus come by His own authority or the authority of the Father?

I guess I always assumed Jesus was an extention of the Father. When we say God in our prayers are they to the whole Trinity or just the Fathet? That’s how I’ve always seen it. And when I wanted to pray to Jesus I would specifically mention Jesus. Is that wrong?

I’m making myself so anxious thinking about all this…

Last point first, I think it’s best not to worry which Person we find ourselves liking to address, as long as we realise all the Persons are hearing and getting a look in. I think it best to see answers as coming from all Three and not want to not relate to the Others, whichever one we address. When One is overjoyed, All are overjoyed.

They are not a sole one, and then another sole one, navel-gazing, but their nature is to have the impulse of giving, of having room for the Other, and then together, the other other (that’s you and me).

They are Community in Action.

In regard to the Holy Spirit “proceeding” Jesus said that when He was going to go to the Father He was going to “send the Paraclete” (both the words are going).

Go boldly!

I can’t really answer this because I don’t fully comprehend myself yet. That being said, If you have a copy of Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis covers extensively what he thinks it means to say that the Son is “begotten and not made” (this is in the later sections of the book). He argues in a sense that the son springs forth eternally from the father, which is why the Bible terms Him begotten. (It will make more sense when you read Lewis. Like I said, I’m bad at explaining this.)

The three persons of the Trinity are absolutely equal.
One God. In three persons.
God in His three persons has always been.

The Spirit is mentioned in Genesis as roaming over the face of thr earth. The Word Of God (which is Jesus), is mentioned as being what created the world. God spoke and the world was created.

Jesus is also “begotten” because the Father sent Jesus to earth to become flesh, to become an infant in Mary’s womb, to become a man, to die for our sins.)

The Holy Spirit (The Helper) was revealed fully by Jesus prior to dying and when He sent the His Holy Spirit from Heaven to become a part of every christian (When before just the Prophets had the Holy Spirit).

It’s a mystery.

St Patrick of Ireland explained it to the Irish with a shamrock (small three leaved green plant), he said, there is one plant, but the plant has three leaves.

Metaphor:
It’s like a male teacher who is married and has kids. He is only one person, but his own kids call him Daddy, his students call him Mr Quinn, and his wife calls him John.
Three natures/ persons, in one being.

Each person represents and reveals a certain nature of God.

Yes, absolutely.

What does it mean when the Son is begotten not made? …
Did Jesus come by His own authority or the authority of the Father?

It means that the second person is not a created being. The way I understand it, Jesus is the Word God spoke to create everything. John 1:1-3 says “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made…”

And the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and Son?

The Father loves the Son from all eternity and the Son reciprocates that love perfectly and the love they share is so great it becomes another person.

When we say God in our prayers are they to the whole Trinity or just the Fathet? That’s how I’ve always seen it. And when I wanted to pray to Jesus I would specifically mention Jesus. Is that wrong?

All 3 are equally God so you can address your prayers to God as a trinity or to an individual person of the trinity.

I’m making myself so anxious thinking about all this…

No need to be anxious. The most important part is just showing up :slight_smile:

I found this series of RCIA videos very helpful, you might too, especially the one on the Trinity.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNipN-PUqaFFCtIO5kUiwLIZuCju4cNiT

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.