Kindergartener Voted Out By Students

Link

Melissa Barton says Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo had her son’s classmates say what they didn’t like about 5-year-old Alex. She says the teacher then had the students vote, and voted Alex, who is being evaluated for Asperger’s syndrome – an autism spectrum disorder – out of the class by a 14-2 margin.

According to the video the teacher even bullied the boy’s only friend into voting against him. She then asks the boy “well now where will you go?” He says the Principles office. She responds he is not wanted there either

Wow. Simply disgusting behavior on the part of the teacher. She should be fired immediately! :mad:

She should lose her teacher certification (if she even has it), and be tried and convicted of child abuse as well. I am glad for that teacher’s sake that I am not the child’s father.

That is simply outrageous. That kind of conduct should get her fired. Fast.
Prayers for the child, & his family, who have suffered from this :mad: person’s viciousness.

She should lose her teacher certification (if she even has it), and be tried and convicted of child abuse as well. I am glad for that teacher’s sake that I am not the child’s father.

Can I join thehttp://bestsmileys.com/angry1/16.gif club? That was my first thought: Oh, to be in a position to show up and hand her a http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/4.gifpiece of myhttp://bestsmileys.com/angry1/4.gif mind!
She’s a http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/25.gifbully!! Using her position to bully children is shameful.

If this were a private school, the teacher would be fired and both she and the school would be facing criminal charges. Since this is a “public” school, they are being protected. Typical of liberal duplicity caused by Relativism. :mad:

That’s just crazy. What kind of teacher is that? BTW, the public school and the individual teacher are specifically exposed to lawsuits for failing to meet the needs of special education students. If the child had been identified (by diagnosis of a physician or other professional) as an Aspie’s kid, then the school is required to have a plan in place, which must be followed by law.

If this actually happened, the school and the teacher are in considerable trouble. And should look forward to an expensive and embarrassing experience.

The teacher needs to be removed from the classroom immediately. Somehow I doubt that’ll happen. :mad:

Wendy Portillo? You’re fired.

Thank God I homeschool and always have.

That poor little boy…he will carry the emotional scars from this for a very long time. That school had better be glad I am not that child’s mother.

Public schools leave so much to be desired. I was watching one of those judge shows yesterday while working out, and this woman was suing for something.

Her grammar was so atrocious, I just automatically assumed she was some sort of totally uneducated person. What a shock when the judge asked her what she did for a living, and she said she was a public school teacher!! :eek:

My heart just aches for all those involved. We need to pray for all those involved in this – the poor little boy and his parents, his classmates who were taught to torment and hate, all the other students, parents, teachers, and administrators who are horrified and scandalized by this event.

This teacher really needs our prayers as well. I think anyone who’s ever been a parent or a teacher knows what it means to be frustrated or at your wit’s end with a child. By the Grace of God most of us cool down and regain our composure and sense of humor before we cross this line. I’m not saying she should or should not be allowed back in the classroom, only that she needs the help of our prayers.

Gertie

School teachers, especially in the early grades, have a lot of power and can do good or do harm with little effort. Young minds are impressionable.

I hope the teacher didn’t do what she is alleged to have done. Gertie is right - the teacher needs our prayers.

This is disgusting! My heart breaks for this little boy and his mother… When I studied about Asperger’s the one thing that stuck out with me was when it was said that they are ( I am paraphrasing) “socially awkward and are very aware that they don’t fit in with the general crowd, and this causes them much pain.” This is evident with this boy.

We homeschool our son, and we always will. He will, as I have said before, attend a public school over my dead body.

I’ve had two Aspie kids in my classes. One was friendly and outgoing, and one was kinda prickly. Both were a little different, but well-accepted by their peers.

Both had habits that were sometimes difficult to accomodate. One of the tough things was knowing when they were doing what they were doing because of their condition, and when they were just testing the limits.

Both, in the end, were successful and went on well-prepared for high school. I think it was particularly important for them to be in public school to interact with others.

One day, one of them wore a leather jacket (a nicely styled one) to class.

“A bit warm for that jacket, isn’t it?”

“My girlfriend likes it.”

I knew he was going to be all right.

That brought a little tear to my eye!

Condemning all public schools based on this article is ridiculous. My wife, my sister-in-law and my niece are all educators working in special ed. They teach Asperger’s kids every day. I also have 2 friends who both have kids with Asperger’s.

They are great kids but they can also be very challenging. There is a large spectrum of behavioral issues that can be manifested among Asperger’s kids. Clearly the approach by this teacher, if it is reported correctly, was wrong.

But there may be more to the story.

I agree completely. A kindergarten teacher’s job is to help children to fit in with school life, help them learn how to make friends, and teach them to get along well with each other.

What this teacher did to little Alex is the complete and total opposite of that mission.

Maybe. But I’ll tell you the same thing I told my sister. We were discussing the fact that twice, in the local public schools here, children have been sexually molested by school staff recently. I said that was simply one more reason why my child will never, under any circumstances, be placed within the control of the public school system.

She said, “They’re not all like that,” and I said, “That’s true. But can you tell which ones are perverts and which ones aren’t?”

No answer.

Then I said, “Neither can I. And once you have been sexually molested, it’s just like running about 18 inches of your arm through a cornpicker: the damage is done, and you will never, ever, be the same. What you had, you will never get back, and you will carry that damage for the rest of your life.”

All it takes is once. And the damage is done, forever. I’m not willing to take that chance with my child’s well-being.

hear, hear. using some poor kid’s personal misfortunes to score political points = low blow.

Wow. I’m floored that a teacher would do that. I’m a special ed teacher, and the thought of anyone doing that to ANY of my students for any reason just makes my blood boil. I hope that women is drummed out of education for the rest of her working years. She has no business teaching students.:mad: :mad: :mad:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.