Kissing Feet on Maundy Thursday

So I'm curious to ask where the Latin Church gets this act and where it is derived from. Also I'm curious to know the intended significance and if there's any historical record of its inception. Google was not helpful. Perhaps to also throw in a bit of discussion, do Latins think it is appropriate/inappropriate/violation of rubrics/not? Is it a devotional thing?

Thanks in advance.

Usually, our priests merely wash feet on Holy Thursday, not kiss them. THe Scripture doesn't say anything about kissing, so I don't think it would be as meaningful as washing.

[quote="Allegra, post:2, topic:350223"]
Usually, our priests merely wash feet on Holy Thursday, not kiss them. THe Scripture doesn't say anything about kissing, so I don't think it would be as meaningful as washing.

[/quote]

Especially since the practice comes from the Institution of the Eucharist in John's last supper when Jesus washed the feet of his disciples.

[quote="Philomeena, post:3, topic:350223"]
Especially since the practice comes from the Institution of the Eucharist in John's last supper when Jesus washed the feet of his disciples.

[/quote]

Yes, I think all Apostolic Churches have foot washing on Holy Thursday. But my question is how did this practice origin exclusively in the Latin Church when every other Church does the same ritual?

[quote="MorEphrem, post:4, topic:350223"]
Yes, I think all Apostolic Churches have foot washing on Holy Thursday. But my question is how did this practice origin exclusively in the Latin Church when every other Church does the same ritual?

[/quote]

Why do you think it did? I imagine the practice of foot-washing spread throughout the Church at the same time.

Over many years, I have had my foot washed an several Maundy Thursdays. The only time it was kissed was the one time a bishop was doing it. He was of Hispanic background; so it may be more common in that culture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.