Kissing the Quran

Is it true that JP2 kissed the Quran on one of his visits? If so, why? Would you ever kiss the Quran? What`s the point?!

I bet this question has been answered many many times.
Did you do a search? I did a search and quickly found this thread. I bet there are many more threads like this one.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=134771&highlight=Pope+JohnPaul+II+kissing+quran

Hey thanks for that, I`ll take a look :slight_smile:

I think it’s a gesture meant to convey appreciation of a gift – a gesture that’s a custom in that culture. I don’t think it was meant to convey respect for the Koran as scripture, only for the gift and the gift-giver.

Does anyone think an Imam would do the same to the New Testament?

I have the feeling he`d rather cut off his tongue then kiss the Bible.

I am not sure if it was on this board, or somewhere else, but someone introduced the idea of the Pope sniffing the Quran with the pretext of “Is this real leather?” That made me giggle.

Kiss the Koran!!!
“I’d sooner kiss a Wookie.”

Princess Leia

:rotfl:

Plan A : love thy enemy

Plan B : kill 'em with kindness

They still want to kill us ? Go to …

Plan C : There’s a bomb for that :smiley:

Kiss the Koran!!!
“I’d sooner kiss a Wookie.”

I have a feeling the Holy Father kissed it as a statement in response to such attitudes within his Church as this.

AFAIK, Pope St. John Paul II did not literally kissing the Qur’an but rather he was trying to determine whether it smells like God’s word or Satan’s word.

The Pope never converted to Islam as he knew the Qur’an from its smell was Satan’s word.

The Pope never converted to Islam as he knew the Qur’an from its smell was Satan’s word.

Doesn’t get much more ignorant that this. Thankfully our John Paul the Great was Pope and not you.

I think Murtad would make an excellent Pope. The Infidel would not mock Christians anymore.
WP

Surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre! NOT!

Im sure if JPII had it to do over again he may have accepted it gracefully and handed it over to one of his aides - minus the kissing incident.

This honestly doesn’t shock or offend Catholics?

http://photos.hi5.com/0003/763/836/goU9fE763836-02.jpg

This doesn’t bother Catholics?

Go ahead…kiss the book that denies Jesus Christ was the son of God. Maybe if he would have spent more time with the right book he would know that what he is doing is blasphemy.

Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, "Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me?
John 14:9-10

“So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.” Revelation 3:16

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” Matthew 7:13-14

Before you hurry to defend the Pope, I’d think about defending our Lord and saviour.

And yet, people like many on this thread attack the Muslims for being extremists. Kissing the holy book of another religion as a sign of respect for that culture in no way diminishes belief in Christ. I think that if our dear holy Pope were here today he would do it again, in spite of the critics who spew hatred and intolerance. What will you say to Christ when He asks you how you loved your fellow man? Will you say that the “infidels” were of no concern to you, a true Christian? No follower of any other faith in his right mind would consider Christ listening to some of you calling them “infidels” and their holy book “satan’s word.” Showing respect for others’ faith does not make one a bad Christian.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.