KJV Catholic Version

It is a great desire if one day we could see a Catholic KJV of the bible that is approved by the Catholic Church. I enjoy the KJV more than the DR, for many reasons. Anyways…

I know that when the KJV was translated it included the deuterocanonical books. I’ve seen them in KJ bibles, but only in a middle “apocrypha” section. Was/ is there a KJV that includes the deuterocanonical works into the order that the Catholic Church uses, and not placed in an “apocrypha” section?

IOW, you would like to see a Catholic Edition of the KJV the way we have the RSV-CE?

Better still, how about an updated D/R? We have the Knox Bible of course, but nothing since then.

I have expressed this opinion on other threads as well. I strongly believe the KJV, without changing a single word, is free of error in faith and morals and on its own, can pass the test for a Nihil Obstat.

Of course, this is not a statement of its accuracy on critical grounds (it’s not; its scholarship is 400 years out of date) or its compliance with the current norms for liturgical use (the RSV-2CE is the only version in the KJV line that meets current norms at their minimum). But that does not mean it cannot be approved for private, devotional use.

Editions with the Deuterocanonicals/Apocrypha are usually in the “sandwiched” format. That in itself does not preclude any possible Catholic approval as the order of books are not part of the deposit of faith.

If such a Catholic-approved edition were to be issued, I would be in line to grab one. I will not be my favourite edition (the RSV holds that place) but it would be a great thing to have a Catholic-approved edition of what is a great cornerstone of the modern English language.

It’s worth noting at at least a section of the KJV has Catholic approval: the prologue to John’s Gospel. It’s the Last Gospel for the Ordinariate Order of Mass, approved in 2012.

King James would never “Authorize” that. Sorry, I couldnt help it.

LOL. Probably not. I wonder if history (rather than theology or content) would override any consideration of it being used in the RCC. My guess is that a bit of hubris would stand in the way.

I think you might like the Knox Bible.

The KJV Psalm 93:

93 The Lord reigneth, he is clothed with majesty; the Lord is clothed with strength, wherewith he hath girded himself: the world also is stablished, that it cannot be moved.

2 Thy throne is established of old: thou art from everlasting.

3 The floods have lifted up, O Lord, the floods have lifted up their voice; the floods lift up their waves.

4 The Lord on high is mightier than the noise of many waters, yea, than the mighty waves of the sea.

5 Thy testimonies are very sure: holiness becometh thine house, O Lord, for ever.

The Knox Psalm 92:

The Lord reigns as king, robed in majesty; royalty the Lord has for robe and girdle. He it was that founded the solid earth, to abide immovable. Firm stood thy throne ere ever the world began; from all eternity, thou art. Loud the rivers echo, Lord, loud the rivers echo, crashing down in flood. Magnificent the roar of eddying waters; magnificent the sea’s rage; magnificent above these, the Lord reigns in heaven. How faithful, Lord, are thy promises! Holy is thy house, and must needs be holy until the end of time.

Douay-Rheims Psalm 92:

92 The Lord hath reigned, he is clothed with beauty: the Lord is clothed with strength, and hath girded himself. For he hath established the world which shall not be moved.
2 Thy throne is prepared from of old: thou art from everlasting.
3 The floods have lifted up, O Lord: the floods have lifted up their voice. The floods have lifted up their waves,
4 With the noise of many waters. Wonderful are the surges of the sea: wonderful is the Lord on high.
5 Thy testimonies are become exceedingly credible: holiness becometh thy house, O Lord, unto length of days.

RSVCE Psalm 93:

[a]The Lord reigns; he is robed in majesty;
the Lord is robed, he is girded with strength.
Yea, the world is established; it shall never be moved;
2 thy throne is established from of old;
thou art from everlasting.
3 The floods have lifted up, O Lord,
the floods have lifted up their voice,
the floods lift up their roaring.
4 Mightier than the thunders of many waters,
mightier than the waves** of the sea,
the Lord on high is mighty!
5 Thy decrees are very sure;
holiness befits thy house,
O Lord, for evermore.

I agree. KJV is wonderful - my favorite Bible too. Always has been. I have Protestant and Catholic family - and the family Bible on my dad’s side is KJV. I’ve read it for years. (It has the family births, etc.)

It does contain the Apocrypha section in the middle as you note. I have never heard of them producing the KJV in the Catholic order. As I recall, the original Lutheran Bible had the exact same Apocrypha section and the KJV is the same thing in English. (There is something about how the books were originally compiled and whether they were all divinely inspired - you can probably Google all that - I can’t remember the issue.) Removing the Apocrypha came later by other English Protestant denominations (not Anglicans). I think the Lutherans still have the Apocrypha - could be wrong. I don’t think they have changed Luther’s Bible. (?)

Anyway I bought and read the old middle English 1611 version of the KJV ( I have a number of Catholic Bibles also). The 1611 KJV English is beautiful. The Bible was translated by the best Elizabethan scholars in England (Oxford); it took years. They knew their stuff, both ancient and modern learning and languages. Today, we have all of these new translations designed to be more clear and accurate, but the English is so pedestrian it is quite a shock to anybody who started with the KJV. Besides Scripture is not rocket science. I personally question how much our understanding of original Scripture has evolved and “advanced” since the Renaissance. I don’t particularly care if I am getting a “Renaissance” spin on imagery, etc. It is closer in time to the original is it not - and I question what people will think of our current crop of translated Bibles in 500 years against the KJV. Old wines, old wineskins - new wine/new wineskins. I am definitely old wineskins. :slight_smile: Short of learning Aramaic, etc. etc.

Esv has an apocrypha section in a bible issued by Oxford. I imagine though that ESV has reformed bent to it though. I believe Pope Benedict enjoyed at least parts of the KJV.

Such a Bible is one I would love to see. :slight_smile:

I don’t see anything wrong with you enjoying KJV bible. In know way can I judge you because only Gods knows what’s developing in your heart.

To me the best Catholics would never want anything like Protestants or people in other religions.

I don’t see anything wrong with you enjoying KJV bible. In know way can I judge you because only Gods knows what’s developing in your heart.

To me the best Catholics would never want anything like Protestants or people in other religions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.