KJV Lord's Prayer at Catholic funeral

While out of town this weekend for a funeral I witnessed a new oddity during the Lord’s Prayer.

During the vigil on Friday and at the grave site on Saturday, the deacon leading the services used the KJV language of the Lord’s Prayer (for thine is the kingdom…).

It struck me and immediately distracted me from the purpose of the prayer. I was so glad to not have a hand shoved into my face but then this happened.

Let me be clear that this did not occur in the funeral mass. Is this something new?

Unless this was a funeral for a member of one of the Anglican Use parishes I have no idea why this was done. Of course, it could be that the deacon was convert from one of the Protestant churches and simply brought it over when praying from memory (it took me a long time to shift from “Holy Ghost” to “Holy Spirit”).

Deacon Ed

It was a Catholic service and while the parish is nicknamed Saint Neiman Marcus that’s as Anglican as it gets.

By the way, the deacon was also wearing a Roman collar and black suit. I’ve never spent much time around deacons so this was new to me.

If the deacon was wearing a collar he probably was from an Anglican Use parish. They are Catholic, but follow the Anglican missal for most things. In fact, Our Lady of the Atonement is the Anglican Use parish in Austin.

Deacon Ed

Actually that church is in San Antonio about 100 miles south of Austin. The funeral I attended was at a parish about 190 miles north of Austin and it is not known for its tradition, Catholic or Anglican.

Anyhoo, thank you for your observations.

[quote=Austin CCD]While out of town this weekend for a funeral I witnessed a new oddity during the Lord’s Prayer.

During the vigil on Friday and at the grave site on Saturday, the deacon leading the services used the KJV language of the Lord’s Prayer (for thine is the kingdom…).

It struck me and immediately distracted me from the purpose of the prayer. I was so glad to not have a hand shoved into my face but then this happened.

Let me be clear that this did not occur in the funeral mass. Is this something new?
[/quote]

When my Grandfather died, my Grandmother had a Catholic funeral eventhough he was never Catholic. He was Presbyterian.

Maybe the spouse was running the show.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.