KJV Only, rebuffed

Aha! The KJV, read with care, can be a very Catholic bible. Example: 2 Corinthians 2:10

To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;

Note that this sin was not against Paul - but the local Church of the Corinthians. Paul forgave that sin with the authority of Christ for a purpose - the good of the Church and to defeat the devil - and in Persona Christi, as if Christ in the Flesh were standing there.

Might ask how Baptists observe that very biblical practice.

1 Like

Thanks. I was trying it out. Good one. I have bookmarked it.

1 Like

I have said it here before. I believe the King James Bible can be compiled into a Catholic edition, with ecclesiastical approval for private reading, without changing a single word.

2 Likes

My impression is that, as florid and artful as the KJV OT is, the NT is stilted and tends to flow poorly. The D-R does not suffer as obviously from this.

As to the typically quoted “Catholic” verses, the KJV does not disappoint. 400+ years ago, when polemics were the norm, I can see the cause for criticality, but quite honestly, its content (with all 73 books) does not fail.

One other nit: It is Masoretic text-based, which some consider a little too anti-christian in its content and general thrust - this is perhaps the “genesis” of the Church’s objection. There is LXX and Vulgate influence, but that goes only so far.

I love translations derived from Saint Jerome’s Vulgate. Warm and human, although some say idiosyncratic (and other factors). So what? Our Lord was rather idiosyncratic.

1 Like

For literary quality, I think the best modern English language Bible is the Revised English Bible (REB) published by both the Oxford Press and the Cambridge Press.

It’s beautifully written with clear flowing prose.

Might be a lil bit off the topic but once, I’d started the KJV Bible. Soon enough, I found out that it was read by Protestants and not Catholics. Don’t we have similarly “acclaimed” Bible?

“Off-topic” means different things to different people, but no, I don’t think it’s “off-topic” at all.

Some would say the Douay-Rheims is “acclaimed” by those of a more traditional stripe, but I don’t believe we’ve ever had one, single, prominent Catholic Bible in English, that holds the same place in Catholic life that the KJV held in Protestant life (and still does hold, for KJV-Onlyists and KJV-Preferists). Truth be told — and I know this sounds terrible — Bible-reading has never been the “thing” among Catholics that it is among Protestants. Traditionally, Catholics have not “searched their Bibles” to find truth or answers to questions of faith that they’ve had. They went to the priest or studied their catechism instead.

1 Like

My favorite King James Version…

1 Like

I can’t understand why there should be two Bibles. One for the Protestants, the other - for Catholics. In Hinduism , there’s this Gita (the equivalent of our Bible) and no matter what denomination the Hindus belong to, they don’t have this-for-you-and-that-for-me-Gita.

I devote more time on prayers than I do on the Bible , and if I read the Bible, psalms are the only things that I mostly focus on. I hope I’m not doing it wrong. :roll_eyes:

There is only one Bible. It’s not so much that there is a Bible for Protestants, it’s that Protestants rejected some books from the Bible, resulting in an incomplete collection. The King James is not one of those incomplete Bible translations (even though most currently printed editions are).

As for not reading the Bible, well, I’ll defer to St. Jerome. “Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ.”

You cannot truly love who you do not know. Read the Bible.

3 Likes

The Psalms are the prayer of the Church, nothing wrong with that.

2 Likes

Amen! As my 16 and 17 year old sisters can attest, I am big on getting them to read The Bible.

1 Like

You are making an inference of what I said. How many times do I have to point out on CAF that I am Catholic?

I was only commenting on your comment, not about you. I’m inferring nothing about you. I responded to your post which was a response to sorrowful1, who stated that he/she is limited to the Psalms.

I was only expanding on your thought: while praying the Psalms is good, it is not complete without the rest of the Bible, especially the Gospels, so that they can be read in the light of Christ. It should be obvious from the context that that comment was for sorrowful1’s benefit rather than any form of criticism towards you.

So why do you need to defend your Catholicism to me, when I have not attacked nor denied it?

@porthos11 Please , do not be offended. I’m sure he didn’t mean anything bad to you.

Also, I’m not saying that I don’t read the Bible - I do, but not as much as I should be. I go through one or two chapters a day. Sometimes, there’s a “hiatus”. So, I prolly need to give it more attention.

One or two chapters a day is good.

3 Likes

Yes, probably ten times what the average Christian manages. Even the noted atheist, Penn Jillette, says he reads at least one chapter a day. Probably for different reasons. lol

1 Like

There is no way to love God incorrectly. :slight_smile:

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.