KKK member in robes, walking University of Indiana campus with a whip

Except, of course, that he wasn’t.

Students at Indiana University began anxiously tweeting each other that a Klansman in his robes was walking around campus carrying a whip, and urging everyone to hide inside,

http://i2.wp.com/thetab.com/blogs.dir/170/files/2016/04/screen-shot-2016-04-06-at-91357-am.png?resize=497%2C188&ssl=1

http://i1.wp.com/thetab.com/blogs.dir/170/files/2016/04/12961688-10206279517374237-768036757724957663-n.jpg?resize=539%2C960&ssl=1

Except, he wasn’t a klansman, he was a Catholic priest (a Dominican, in white robes) and it wasn’t a whip, it was a Rosary:

Rumors of a klansman on campus have proven false after a priest innocently made his way through Bloomington.

Last night around 9:15 PM, social media became a furious storm of confusion regarding a man in white robes roaming along 10th St. and purportedly armed with a whip.

Students thought the white robes indicated Klu Klux Klan affiliation.

thetab.com/us/indiana/2016/04/05/last-night-white-robed-priest-mistaken-armed-kkk-klansman-1804

It triggered some residual panic from people unaware of the possibility of priests actually being in the world, while not of it:

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Indiana.jpg

http://i2.wp.com/thetab.com/blogs.dir/170/files/2016/04/img-1123-1.png?resize=750%2C485&ssl=1

There’s a lot to be said for sending your kid to a small Catholic college.

Oh dear…

On the other hand, all this displayed college level idiocy that’s been happening recently makes for a great first pass resume discriminator.

Even if he was a KKK member, the way to handle it is to cower in fear? :rolleyes:

I saw this story earlier this morning…

To quote Gilda Radner, “Never Mind”

Simcha Fisher posted this is response:

aleteia.org/blogs/simchafisher/a-field-guide-to-dominicans-and-other-terrors/

:smiley:

That would appear to be the goal of this most inane of all social movements ever to be concocted in the smallest, most fearful, of human minds ever to walk the Earth.

The message, it would seem, is that only Big Brother can look after us because we are incapable of doing so.

In the minds of many in liberal academia, a Catholic Priest with a rosary is far more dangerous than a Klansman with a bullwhip.

Not at Jesuit-run Spring Hill College in Mobile:

On the night of January 21, 1957, a dozen or more darkened cars eased down the main avenue of the college. Several members of the KKK attempted to set up a kerosene-soaked cross outside Mobile Hall, a dormitory. The Klan made a tactical blunder, however, in visiting the campus during finals week. Most of the white, male residents were still awake, studying for exams, and several heard the hammering. Once alerted, students streamed from both ends of the building carrying whatever items were handy—golf clubs, tennis rackets, bricks, a softball bat—and put the panicked Klansmen to flight. To save face, the KKK returned the next night and succeeded in burning a cross at the gate of the College before students reacted. The following day, however, a group of students—male and female—hanged a Klansman in effigy at the College gate, with a sign reading, “KKKers ARE CHICKEN.”

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Hill_College

They’d all be expelled today. :smiley:

That’s awesome.

I always liked the story of how Superman took on the Klan. The writers of the radio show worked with an anti-Klan activist to mock and humiliate and leak the details of their secret rituals on the air. It probably didn’t hurt that Superman was the creation of two Jewish guys.

I think it’s just another case of people hoping against hope and wringing their hands that they’ll find white supmremacism so they can protest and complain sky high about anything and everything.

If it were true, what would be your response?

Do you mean there is no such thing as KKK; it is all just a figment of some people’s imagination?

Nope, but here’s the problem with such arguments:

They always say “do you think they don’t exist” or some such thing unless I acknowledge something along the lines of how they are a bigger threat than ISIS.

If what were true?

Surprisingly the klan is still pretty big in certain parts of my state, They come up here occasionally and stand around street corners and shopping centers, handing out flyers, shouting with megaphones, trying to recruit members. They are not ashamed anymore either, usually they do not even cover their faces like they used to.

Their main ‘fight’ right now is with all the illegal mexican immigration.

:thumbsup:

The thread title says

KKK member in robes, walking University of Indiana campus with a whip

But yet in the OP it says that there was no KKK member. I dont mean to be rude but whats the point of the thread? Would it have not been a better idea to label the thread as “man misidentified as KKK member”

I remember when Jay Leno use to do this routine called “Jay Walking” where
he’d ask people questions on the street, and it would show how dumb people
have gotten, particularly college students. If I remember right, my two
favorites were when he asked a UCLA student when America ended slavery, and
I believe she said “Oh, along time ago…1972 ?” Then Leno said "So, it wasn’t really Lincoln who freed the slaves, it was Richard Nixon. Another time he asked an oldie but goodie, “Who did America fight in the Civil War” and I think the top answers were Germany and France.

From what I have seen wrt my travels around the USA… it seems that over 99% of Americans do not vehemently hope that their are white or black racists. Sometimes the media outlets over hype these types of issues when it comes to race/religion…most humans on earth are good peaceful people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.