KKK Member Walks up to Black Musician in Bar-but It’s Not a Joke, and What Happens Next Will Astound You

guardianlv.com/2013/11/kkk-member-walks-up-to-black-musician-in-bar-but-its-not-a-joke-and-what-happens-next-will-astound-you/

Indeed, Davis says that the best way to break down barriers and improve race relations is for two people who disagree with each other to sit down and talk:

A lot of people have anti-racist groups. They get together and meet and have a diverse group and all they do and sit around and talk about how bad discrimination is. Then someone says ‘there’s a Klan group across town. Why don’t we invite them to come and talk to us?’ and the other person says ‘Oh no! We don’t want that guy here!’ Well, you’re doing the exact same thing they are. What’s the purpose of meeting with each other when we already agree? Find someone who disagrees and invite them to your table.
Invite your enemy to talk. Give them a platform to talk because then they will reciprocate. Invite your enemies to sit down and join you. You never know; some small thing you say might give them food for thought, and you will learn from them. Establish dialogue. It’s when the talking stops that the ground becomes fertile for fighting.

He says there’s no need to be afraid of the KKK because at least they make their intentions clear, whereas racism can manifest in anyone, and it is often invisible. He urges those who wish to combat racism to reach out to those who have misconceptions about race.

“When two enemies are talking,” he says, “they’re not fighting.”

I had heard of Mr. Davis before. When I found and read this story, I thought the good people here would would love this incredible, hopeful story.

We need more people like Mr. Darryl Davis.

On ALL fronts.

May God continue to bless and keep him.

Comments welcome.

I have heard of this man before. I’m still a little surprised as to how he became friends with some of them.

A great Article. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

As a history buff who grew up in the 1960’s-70’s I was struck with something that seems so simple yet so difficult…
If you have an enemy, the surest way to make him stronger is to oppress him.
If you wish to weaken your enemy - embrace him.

Surely this can be seen in the case of race relations in the U.S. where blacks were kept in certain types of jobs (mostly manual labor) and also kept separate.
To begin with - as slaves - those who were the “toughest” were the ones who would naturally survive the best and be prized.
After slavery - this tendency toward physical strength and also a profound mental strength continued. Segregation encouraged these oppressed people to form strong ties among themselves built on a common suffering.
All of this created a very strong and fairly unified black community - and it was the KKK, and racism in general, that helped create it.

This can also be seen in relations between countries…
After WW 1 the harsh treatment of Germany made conditions ripe for hatred and result was Hitler and WW 2. After WW 2 the defeated nations were treated more fairly and the result is that they are now they are our allies.
The difference in how we handled the Soviet Union and Red China as another example. WE talked with the USSR and it eventually fell. We refused to talk with Red China for many years and it still stands.

Sorry to ramble on so - and I do not mean to oversimplify things that are rather complex…

But the underlying principle remains valid…and that is what the linked article is showing us.
If you wish to weaken your enemy - embrace him - listen to him - love him - - - and soon you will not have an enemy any more…

Peace
James

I remember reading this the other day. It was a very good article. I think that befriending those who are quite hateful towards others is a good way to help diminish the hatred they have. A lot of times people are hateful towards others out of ignorance.

Indeed. Thanks for posting.

This could definitely be used for Pro-Choice supporters and Abortion victims as well.

Great story, ultimately. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Absolutely. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yep. It’s easy to hate “them,” not so easy to hate “That guy Frank who is married to Sue, has three kids, works at the tire factory, and is a pretty good poker player.”

Good point. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.