kneel or stand during "under my roof"?

I’ve noticed that in the San Bernardino Diocese we stand during the " Lord I am not worthy to receive You". But in the San Diego Diocese we kneel. Is it up to the local Bishop?

Yes.

(But the default in the United States is kneeling if the bishop does not say otherwise.)

In the United States, the diocesan bishop may determine the posture from after the Agnus Dei to the individual’s reception of Holy Communion. The norm is kneeling, but, like I said, the diocesan bishop may determine otherwise.

When I visit my mom in a different state, the people in her parish remain standing. I just can’t do it, so I kneel. No one seemed to care.

But if the archbishop has determined that the people of his archdiocese should remain standing, and I’m visiting there, would it be more proper for me to remain standing as well? And no, I am not the least bit scrupulous, just suddenly curious.

Gertie

There is an old saying “When in Rome do as the Romans”. What ever is done in the diocese your in you should do.

The Bishop of our diocese ruled that we should stand. His successor changed that last fall so we are back to kneeling.

Well, I mean, seriously?

If “at the name of Jesus every knee shall bend on heaven, on earth, and under the earth”, how much more when the Blessed Sacrament, Jesus Himself, is presented to us?

Every time the Body of Christ is lifted up by the priest, kneeling is most appropriate (and sitting down when kneeling is not possible due to medical reasons).

Realize that if God had manifested His presence and was not mercifully veiled by the Host, we would literally die of awe…but the fact that we only see the Host does not diminish in a bit God’s greatness and infinite wonderfulness.

I’m with R C

“Behold the Lamb of God, Behold Him Who takes away the sins of the world”

I would kneel. The Bishop cannot take away the right to Honor God as our conscience calls us to do. Freedom of Conscience to disobey the mandate handed down by Pres. “O” ? I say we have the Freedom of Conscience to Honor Our Lord as our conscience calls us to do.

I wish they would bring back the Traditional Latin Mass (Extraordinary Form) this way we must ALL kneel (except for health reasons) as we are meant to do before Almighty God.

Our opinions notwithstanding, we must follow the decree of the bishop where you are.

Pitting the two forms of the Roman Rite against each other is against forum rules (not that you were).

A decree by the bishop to stand during the Ecce Agnus Dei isn’t a matter of conscience, since it’s not a sin, so it is by no means equivalent to the HHS mandate.

Thank you everyone. I really am happy we have these forums. When we need an answer to something Catholic, just ask our fellow friends on the Catholic Answer forums! You all are so knowledeable. Have a great day!

I’m confused by your statement. Why would you sit, instead of stand, if you are unable to kneel?

Rome says kneel at the Consecration, period, though allowing kneeling for the entire Eucharistic Prayer and at “this is the Lamb of God” if it’s the parish’s custom. The USCCB asked for and was allowed an adaptation mandating kneeling for the entire EP unless the diocesan bishop decided otherwise. By contrast, the CCCB, did not request such an adaptation but left it as ‘where it is the custom is is laudable that it be retained’.

Yes, it is up to the Bishop of that particular diocese. In the Vancouver diocese, kneeling during the* Ecce Agnus Dei* is prescribed whereas in my diocese where I am in, Calgary, standing is prescribed. However, I would prefer to kneel during the Ecce Agnus Dei because we are being placed in front of God! Wouldn’t it be appropriate to at least kneel in front of the most important person in heaven and earth? :slight_smile:

Throughout my dioceses and sometimes different parishes in the same town have various postures during the mass, some stand from the time the priests enters till the first reading while others churches kneel as soon as the priest bows at the altar.
Some churches stand when “the lift up your hearts” we lift them up to the lord" is recited while other parishes remain sitting,
I don’t think these are directives from a particular priest more a case of people following someone who also doesn’t know.
one church, I was in recently when the" lamb of God you take away the sins of the world have mercy on us" begins, people started sitting down when saying it, this has now spread to about the front half of the congregation sitting during it while the remainder stays standing during it.

:shrug:

That’s what I learned a long time ago…my impression is that it would not be proper to stand while the community kneels. This answer seems to suggest sitting in a quiet and respectful way rather than standing, when kneeling is not possible.

I figure since the universal norm is standing and we stand for the Gospel, I’d stand here too. I think Michelle Arnold’s answer was simply to tell the young mother that she could keep sitting, since that’s what she was doing anyway. It seems to me that sitting takes away from the profound bows we are supposed to make if we can’t kneel for the Consecration.

I kneel, even if I’m in a place where everyone else is standing. That’s just how I do it. :thumbsup:

It doesn’t matter how you feel about this. You owe obedience to the Bishop. If his direction is to kneel then you kneel but if his direction is to stand then you stand. Please remember that movements and postures at Mass are disciplines and not doctrinal.

I must say, I’m all for obedience, but I seem to recall somewhere that the CDW said one could still kneel if they wished during that time. Anyone else know about what I’m talking about?? Until I find it, I’d not go against the bishop of anywhere I go to Mass, but I’m almost sure I saw it a while ago…

You are talking about when you are receiving Communion. That is not what this thread is about.

No, I mean kneeling following the agnus dei up until communion in cases when the bishop said to stand. Yes, it was some obscure little thing, not as well known as the communion debate, but I’m pretty sure I saw it somewhere…

GIRM:

Gestures and Bodily Posture

1. The gestures and bodily posture of both the Priest, the Deacon, and the ministers, and also of the people, must be conducive to making the entire celebration resplendent with beauty and noble simplicity, to making clear the true and full meaning of its different parts, and to fostering the participation of all.[52] Attention must therefore be paid to what is determined by this General Instruction and by the traditional practice of the Roman Rite and to what serves the common spiritual good of the People of God, rather than private inclination or arbitrary choice.

A common bodily posture, to be observed by all those taking part, is a sign of the unity of the members of the Christian community gathered together for the Sacred Liturgy, for it expresses the intentions and spiritual attitude of the participants and also fosters them.

1. The faithful should stand from the beginning of the Entrance Chant, or while the Priest approaches the altar, until the end of the Collect; for the Alleluia Chant before the Gospel; while the Gospel itself is proclaimed; during the Profession of Faith and the Universal Prayer; and from the invitation, Orate, fratres (Pray, brethren), before the Prayer over the Offerings until the end of Mass, except at the places indicated here below.

The faithful should sit, on the other hand, during the readings before the Gospel and the Responsorial Psalm and for the Homily and during the Preparation of the Gifts at the Offertory; and, if appropriate, they may sit or kneel during the period of sacred silence after Communion.

In the Dioceses of the United States of America, they should kneel beginning after the singing or recitation of the Sanctus (Holy, Holy, Holy) until after the Amen of the Eucharistic Prayer, except when prevented on occasion by ill health, or for reasons of lack of space, of the large number of people present, or for another reasonable cause. However, those who do not kneel ought to make a profound bow when the Priest genuflects after the Consecration.** The faithful kneel after the Agnus Dei (Lamb of God) unless the Diocesan Bishop determines otherwise.[53]**

For the sake of uniformity in gestures and bodily postures during one and the same celebration, the faithful should follow the instructions which the Deacon, a lay minister, or the Priest gives, according to what is laid down in the Missal.

1. Among gestures are included also actions and processions, by which the Priest, with the Deacon and ministers, goes to the altar; the Deacon carries the Evangeliary or Book of the Gospels to the ambo before the proclamation of the Gospel; the faithful bring up the gifts and come forward to receive Communion. It is appropriate that actions and processions of this sort be carried out with decorum while the chants proper to them are sung, in accordance with the norms laid down for each.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.