Kneelers- yankee stadium?

at the papal mass at Yankee stadium, how are they going kneel considering the lack of kneelers? Without?

My guess is that most people won’t kneel, but some will kneel on whatever surface they have in front of them (concrete, grass). I’ve never been in Yankee stadium, but kneeling would be near impossible in the stands of most of the stadiums I have been in. The space between the rows is just too narrow. That is why I am guessing people will stand instead.

Well, I managed to kneel in Mile High stadium in 1993!

If you are unable to kneel, then you are just supposed to stand. There are many Catholic churches without kneelers, and the parishoners just stand during the parts where it is traditional to kneel.

That is if you are UNABLE to kneel, not just that there are no kneelers.

The bleacher creatures will have no place to put their lower legs, so the deacon will ask all to rise. The congregation will then be standing, whether they be in the stands or on the field. Uniformity of posture will best symbolize the unity of the Church and reverence in prayer. I’ll be very surprised if they try to do it any other way. Logistics, logistics.

Matthew

I know that while a local Catholic Church was being built, that Mass was held in a Cafeteria at a local school. Everyone stood during the traditional kneeling part of the Mass.

God Bless!

I would guess, that the majority would have been ABLE to kneel in the Cafeteria, although a few might not have been personally able, and would have been excused.

It’s not always required that people kneel. From the GIRM #43:

In the dioceses of the United States of America, they should kneel beginning after the singing or recitation of the Sanctus until after the Amen of the Eucharistic Prayer, except when prevented on occasion by reasons of health, lack of space, the large number of people present, or some other good reason.

Exactly, if you want to kneel at Yankee Stadium, go right ahead, but not everyone will be able to do it with the concrete floor, etc…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.