kneeling after the Agnus Dei

I did some research on this topic all over the internet. In the TLM, people kneel after the Agnus Dei (at least in my Parish). I also researched that in the United States it is customary to kneel after the Agnus Dei until you go up to receive Holy Communion. However, this is not the norm at the other parish I go to for Nouvs Ordo mass (I live in California). My friend who’s from the east coast said everyone kneels after the agnus dei, but west coast people remain standing. So, just a few questions:

1. What is the norm in other countries?

2. What does your parish do and please state what part of the country you’re from.

My theory is if they stand after the Agnus Dei in Mexico and Europe, then it would explain why only a select few kneel and most of the congregation in my other Parish remain standing since we have a huge Croatian, Mexican, and Italian population. Thanks for you imput. I find liturgy fascinating, and I cant wait for seminary! You know, someone should compile a list of liturgical “norms” or customs for different countries, that’d be interesting, like how its normal in the US to receive HC in the hands standing, while its the norm in most dioceses in Mexico to kneel and receive on the tongue. Sorry, I digress.

I’m in London, UK. We kneel after the Agnus Dei until we receive communion, receive communion standing and then return to kneel until the Priest has finished his thanksgiving.

In the U.S., the Bishop has the authority to determine whether the faithful in his diocese kneel or stand after the Agnus Dei. The parishes I have belonged to have always knelt.

I have also attended NO masses in Italy (where I used to live) and it was a pretty mixed bag. Some knelt, some stood. (This same lack of uniformity in posture was also present at the TLM’s I attended in Italy.) I don’t know what the actual rule was, but it’s likely that some would choose to ignore it anyway. If you’ve ever been to Italy, you’d recognize this as pretty normal. LOL

I’m in Germany now, and at the local NO masses everyone kneels. So I know that’s what the norm is here. Germans are quite good at following the rules. :stuck_out_tongue:

More specifically:[LIST]
*]The universal norm under the current misssal is to remain standing after the Agnus Dei
*]Where it is the custom to kneel, the local bishops’ conference is empowered to retain this laudible practice
*]In the US, where this practice has been laudibly retained according to the USCCB, that body has empowered local bishop in turn to legislate otherwise
[/LIST]

tee

In the diocese of Jackson, Mississippi, we do not.

We have been in the following dioceses while on vacation, and have witnessed the following:

Atlanta, GA: First time yes, second time no (don’t know if they changed bishops in between times, and that would explain the difference. It was at the Cathedral both times)

Detroit, MI: Yes

Whatever diocese the Smoky Mountains, TN is in: No

These were all NO Masses.

C

Diocese of Superior Wisconsin. Kneel, stand to receive, kneel. Ja, we Germans do obey the rules! :wink:

We stand. This is at the option of the bishop (actually here, the archbichop). I am in the Oregon Archdiocese. As to other countries, I don’t know. If pushed, I would guess the norm is kneeling, but that is just a guess.

In Oregon, one stands in the Archdiocese of Portland (west of the Cascade Mountains) and kneels in the Diocese of Baker (east) after the Agnus Dei. Seattle and Los Angeles also mandate standing.

Hey, Cari, we had your retired bishop helping out at our parish for a year and a half or so. Bishop Houck was great. I understand since he is no longer head of the Catholic Extension Society, he left Chicago to return to Jackson.

In my parish we stand. In much of the Archdiocese of Chicago, they kneel. In all the Masses I attended in Ireland, they stand.

John

Ug. I can understand not wanting to stay in Chicago :wink: , but to return to Jackson? Blech. :smiley: Give me a nice southern dioscese in North Carolina or something… :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.