Kneeling during readings

Hello,

I was watching a Mass for the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, and while the Epistle was read, all knelt for a few moments. Are there other occasions when the celebrant and others kneel during readings?

many thanks!
amsjj :slight_smile:

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.

• Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.

• San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

… Our Lord Himself frequently said; and it is recorded as an Apostolic tradition from Him
by St. Justin the Martyr. He says ‘Jesus often said, “They who are near Me are near a fire”’.

• Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, August 1st 1886

The epistle reading for the Exaltation of the Cross is Philippians 2:5-11. Everyone traditionally genuflects at the words in the reading “that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bend, in the heavens, on the earth, and under the earth…”, because, well, it says that every knee shall bend, and it seems a bit strange to not kneel when that text is read aloud.

Where I have gone to holy Mass in the past, we would kneel during the readings.

I should mention that it was in the Extraordinary Form.

If I might also mention that I have heard an FSSP priest (if I remember correct) say during a homily that even standing during the Gospel is not universal, the Faithful are by all rights allowed to kneel during the Gospel.

It is certainly worth noting that pews are far from universal. They are mostly in white-people countries, or places influenced directly during the recent century or so.

There are some movements of the Faithful that wish to eradicate pews altogether since they are, in their historical analysis, an accretion from the 16th-century revolt. I am not sure about the last part, but churche interiors are definitely prettier without pews since often the floor is cover with a mosaic or other design.

In my church, as the person is reading, we are sitting, But when the Gospel is read we stand make the three cross, one on the head,second on the lips, and the third on our heart. When the gospel is over and the priest reads his Homley,we sit down.

On Palm Sunday and Good Friday, it is customary to pause and kneel for a few moments at the death of Jesus during the Gospel (both OF and EF of Mass). In the EF of Mass, on the Feast of the Epiphany the priest (and the congregation?) genuflect at the adoration of the Magi.

Thank you, Mark for those specifics – I appreciate knowing more unique instances of kneeling during the readings.

many thanks!
amsjj :slight_smile:

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.

• Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.

• San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

… Our Lord Himself frequently said; and it is recorded as an Apostolic tradition from Him
by St. Justin the Martyr. He says ‘Jesus often said, “They who are near Me are near a fire”’.

• Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, August 1st 1886

Thanks for sharing this infromation with us .this one is the most important data and must help a lot of information with us .This one is the most important sites.
seo in portland

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.