Kneeling is always wrong? Confused

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Oh, no, not at all! :blush: I was saying, “Now wait just a minute” in reference to the other person who, in exercising her right to genuflect, threw her foot back at you. I found that to be unacceptable, not anything you said…sorry for the misunderstanding. :frowning:

IMO you have every right to be annoyed, if not downright aggrieved. No one’s foot should be coming back at you during a Communion line genuflection. I’ve described how it can be done without that happening, and anyone who can genuflect should be able to do it that way. Again, IMO.

Do you mean how the medieval monks used IHS for Jesus, and XP for Christ? :cool:

FYI, the norm changed in 2011

The previous GIRM 160 stated.

The norm for reception of Holy Communion in the dioceses of the United States is standing. Communicants should not be denied Holy Communion because they kneel. Rather, such instances should be addressed pastorally, by providing the faithful with proper catechesis on the reasons for this norm.

The revised GIRM 160 now states

The norm established for the Dioceses of the United States of America is that Holy Communion is to be received standing, unless an individual member of the faithful wishes to receive Communion while kneeling.

So a norm of standing only exists for those who wish to stand.

I don’t understand the question so forgive me. Who was it who told you it is ALWAYS wrong to kneel when receiving Holy Communion?

What is COTT…? :confused: would you type the word out?

Communion On The Tongue. :slight_smile:

Thank you for that…

Call me old fashion perhaps but I much rather use words…too much room for inturpretation.

COTT…cats off the thing? Cows on the throne, catholics on the thing…see what can happen?

:eek:

I've never understoon how anyone could be tripped by the person in front genuflecting or kneeling - unless the person following is following much too closely.

I've been genuflecting before receiving for many years (I'd kneel but without an altar rail I have trouble standing up again.) No one has ever tripped over me and only one person - a priest - told me not to do it.

We were visiting relatives in a different city & attended Mass at a large, well-attended church. I genufected becuase that's what I always do. After Mass, we stopped to shake the hand of the priest & introduce ourselves as visitors. He lit into me & gave me the worst chewing out since I was in the Army. He said I should NEVER genuflect - ever - because people get tripped & he had seen it happen. I really supsect that he wasn't telling the truth. We were so shaken that we left & never went back. We now attend a different parish when we're in that city.

I agree with this for posture but we are always free to receive communion on the tongue in fact those of us using a cane usually have no choice. I kneel when I attend a Traditional Latin Mass, provided there is a substantial altar rail, and stand at an Ordinary Form Mass.

I don’t think I follow too closely. I pretty much match everyone else in church, if not giving more room because if the couple of issues with people putting their foot back.

I’ve been genuflecting before receiving for many years (I’d kneel but without an altar rail I have trouble standing up again.) No one has ever tripped over me and only one person - a priest - told me not to do it.

I am sure the couple of people that almost tripped me up didn’t notice either. That doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, just that they didn’t see it.

We were visiting relatives in a different city & attended Mass at a large, well-attended church. I genufected becuase that’s what I always do. After Mass, we stopped to shake the hand of the priest & introduce ourselves as visitors. He lit into me & gave me the worst chewing out since I was in the Army. He said I should NEVER genuflect - ever - because people get tripped & he had seen it happen. **I really supsect that he wasn’t telling the truth. **We were so shaken that we left & never went back. We now attend a different parish when we’re in that city.

Guess you suspect I am not telling the truth, too. :rolleyes:

If you want to kneel or genuflect, go for it. But realize that there is a person behind you. And if you without warning, shoot your foot back between their legs, they may get just a tad upset with you.

=IneedGod;10291411]Please advise, as someone new this confuses me.
I know that receiving in the hand is acceptable perhaps used most often. I thought COTT was also acceptable including when kneeling. We were told kneeling was WRONG, it is always wrong. ( some one could trip)
I would greatly appreciate it if you would clear this up for me.

Ty and God bless

That is an excuse used by some and actually believed by others.

ROME has defined and declared that Holy Communion may NOT be refused to anyone kneeling or on the tongue.

Their is a practical way to do this W/O a tripping risk.

PAUSE momentarly before with Kneeling or Genuflecting * but I do Genulfect and receive on the tongue.

Another thing one can do is be at the end of the Communion line.:wink:

In doing this I [me] choose to receive only from the priest as EM’s may get flustered?:slight_smile:

IF you are refused 1st. Talk to the Priest

Then if you wish to pursue it contact the Office of the Bishop; alays with charity.

Piety is a PERSONAL choice; not to be unnecessarly mandated.

God Bless you,
pat/PJM*

:stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for making me laugh!

I receive kneeling every single day, and I’ve never had anyone close to tripping over me. You would have to be in my back pocket to trip–following far too closely. I pause for just a second while the person in front of me is receiving, to create a bit of a “gap.” Then I step forward rapidly and kneel in front of the priest. You would have to be moving very fast to keep up with me such that you trip over my legs as I kneel. And then, you would have to be sleepwalking to continue forward once I am kneeling.

Another way to avoid surprises is this technique that I use when a stranger is behind me, or when I am at a different church. I whisper to them, 'I will kneel to receive." Imagine that, a little communication before communicating!

Regardless of what people might say, as you’ve seen from the extract of the GIRM posted by Brendan, the faithful may choose to receive kneeling. This is not something that your pastor can change or refuse. He must also consider the requirement for obedience to the directives of the Church. If he refuses to give you communion while kneeling, he is disobeying the Church.

I’ve never had a problem with people kneeling. Just those that genuflect. :shrug:

But most people that kneel, do it like you described.

But those that genuflect do it before stepping forward to receive. They are going down while in line. So now, think about when you are in the Communion line. How close are you to the person in front of you. (The person behind you is close enough that you feel you can whisper to them.) What if that person in front of you, suddenly went down? Would you be close enough to catch them? If so, you are following close enough to be tripped up if the genuflect. And certainly the person behind you is close enough to be tripped up, if they are close enough you can whisper to them.

Having worked in the brokerage industry for a long time, starting in the 70’ s. There came to be so many added acronyms that at one point in time, around the early 90’ s I asked some people what this or that acronym stood for, they had no idea and could care less.

Change is a constant, not all change is for the better. Saying what you mean to say clearly and without much room for interpretation will surely lead to better communication.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.