Kneeling to receive the Eucharist at a church without altar rails?

[quote="Joe_Kelley, post:9, topic:295920"]
Be sure that the one behind you in line is aware of your intent to kneel; so they don't trip over you. It may be best to go to the end of the line. ;)

[/quote]

I've heard this line so much, and yet I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever seen or heard of a person tripping on another who receives kneeling. I really do think it's just hyperbole. The only way a person behind could possibly trip is if they are already leaning on the person's back.

In my experience, there is usually a double line going to Communion, so by the time the priest is done distributing to the person on the other line (two lines, one priest) I'm already kneeling, so there's no need to try to rush or anything. In the case in which there is just one line, I'm just very, very quick about kneeling. No priest has managed to even say "Bo---" before I'm kneeling.

0 Likes

=Opie90;9673896]Hello,

I am a recent convert (was confirmed/received into the Church this Easter. From the very start I wanted to receive the Eurcharist kneeling, but was afraid (I know its childish) of what others would think of me and of standing out since as far as I know no one else receives this way at my parish. There are no altar rails and my parish is very large. Currently I genuflect and then I receive on the tongue but standing. I made up my mind that I was going to kneel last week, and instead of genuflecting walked up closer to the priest and was going to kneel when he (probably thinking I had forgot to genuflect as I have received the Eucharist from him several times before) lifted it up and said "the body of Christ" and began to bring his hand downwards to place it on my tongue so I said amen and stuck my tongue out. My question for you all is 1) ought one to receive the Eucharist kneeling in a church without altar rails, in which receiving on the tongue is not really done? 2) if I ought or at least it is permissible, how do I indicate that I am going to kneel, especially as the priests are used to me genuflecting and then receiving standing and on the tongue? I don't want to make a mountain out of it, but its something that I really want to do to adore Christ in the Eucharist, acknowledging who I am receiving and as a prayer for humility.

1. It is permissible

2. Would only do if your receiving from the Priest

3. Would advise the priest B4 Mass of your desire and intent: IF HE SAY"S NO! Then obey his wishes even though he is under normal conditions to permit it.

4. Keeling and on the tongue remains the Universal Norm for the world wide CC

5. Those receiving from Pope benedict personally are required to Kneel and receive on the tongue

6. In the hand is pemitted by indult and completely vaild too

God Bless,
pat /PJM

0 Likes

[quote="The_Curt_Jester, post:21, topic:295920"]
I've heard this line so much, and yet I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever seen or heard of a person tripping on another who receives kneeling. I really do think it's just hyperbole. The only way a person behind could possibly trip is if they are already leaning on the person's back.

In my experience, there is usually a double line going to Communion, so by the time the priest is done distributing to the person on the other line (two lines, one priest) I'm already kneeling, so there's no need to try to rush or anything. In the case in which there is just one line, I'm just very, very quick about kneeling. No priest has managed to even say "Bo---" before I'm kneeling.

[/quote]

I tend to agree.

0 Likes

[quote="PJM, post:22, topic:295920"]
1. It is permissible

1. Would only do if your receiving from the Priest

2. Would advise the priest B4 Mass of your desire and intent: IF HE SAY"S NO! Then obey his wishes even though he is under normal conditions to permit it.

3. Keeling and on the tongue remains the Universal Norm for the world wide CC

4. Those receiving from Pope benedict personally are required to Kneel and receive on the tongue

5. In the hand is pemitted by indult and completely vaild too

God Bless,
pat /PJM

[/quote]

thank you for the reply. I knelt at daily mass today visiting a parish other than my own (like my own no altar rails, standing the norm) and it worked out okay. How important is it to tell the priest before hand? So far, I have knelt twice with no problem and I haven't said any thing beforehand. In the case of the visiting parish, there was not really a chance to tell the priest beforehand.

0 Likes

[quote="The_Curt_Jester, post:21, topic:295920"]
I've heard this line so much, and yet I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever seen or heard of a person tripping on another who receives kneeling.

[/quote]

Me neither. It's such a cliche now.

0 Likes

closed #26
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.