Knights of Columbus

I dont really know much about the Knights of Columbus, so when i heard from a protistant friend that when one wishes to become a Knight of Columbus, one has to sign a paper in one’s own blood. He also said

"The Knights of Columbus agreement that I find sad is that the man signing the document (usually is asked to ignore or just not read what he is signing up to) has to be willing to slay non-catholic women and children. . .the paraphrased scenario stated is “slice the pregnant woman and bash the babies head against a wall.”

I didnt know what to respond. Can any one give me some truth about all this? Thankx.

[quote=Finex]I dont really know much about the Knights of Columbus, so when i heard from a protistant friend that when one wishes to become a Knight of Columbus, one has to sign a paper in one’s own blood. He also said

"The Knights of Columbus agreement that I find sad is that the man signing the document (usually is asked to ignore or just not read what he is signing up to) has to be willing to slay non-catholic women and children. . .the paraphrased scenario stated is “slice the pregnant woman and bash the babies head against a wall.”

I didnt know what to respond. Can any one give me some truth about all this? Thankx.
[/quote]

Your friend is a liar. No KoC is required to commit to such attrocities.

I belive you, non the less i need some kind of proof to convince him that he has been believing false assumtions.

As a Knight myself, I found this to be hilarious. Surely your protestant friend was making a tasteless joke?

Take your friend to a KoC meeting and then he will see for himself. I myself do not belong to the KoC since my wife is pregnant and I don’t want to risk it. :eek:
Only kidding! Seriously, if your friends’ accusations were true don’t you think they would have made the news by now. Consider how much the newspapers like to smear the Churchs’ wrongdoings all over the front page, it would be impossible to keep a secret like this.

I am a Fourth Degree Knight and the only things I remember signing my membership card and insurance application. Instead of you trying to prove a negative, why don’t you ask you friend for proof of what he is saying?

The internet is full of stuff like this, including supposed copies of documents like this oath. Of course, there is almost the same stuff about Masons, and Catholics are supposed to be against Masonry.

[quote=Scott_Lafrance]Your friend is a liar. No KoC is required to commit to such attrocities.
[/quote]

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH SCOTT’S RESPONSE.

…i just wish he wouldn’t sugarcoat it, and express his true feelings…:smiley:

[quote=geezerbob]Instead of you trying to prove a negative, why don’t you ask you friend for proof of what he is saying?
[/quote]

This is exactly the correct response. Apologetics should not only be defensive, but should strive to place the burden of proof on people who make absurd unsubstantiated charges and expect people to just accept it.

[quote=Finex]I dont really know much about the Knights of Columbus, so when i heard from a protistant friend that when one wishes to become a Knight of Columbus, one has to sign a paper in one’s own blood. He also said

[/quote]

Anyone who honestly believes and tries to use an argument as ridiculous as this one, is not looking for the truth.

Don’t waste your time.

My husband is a Knight. He faints at the site of blood so believe me, I would have heard about that one! Or been called to the ER to rescue him after a meeting. Your friend is a liar. Thats as bad as some who accuse the Jews of killing children to use their blood in baking! UGH!

That’s so rediculous it’s almost funny. I’m a 3rd degree Knight (just got my 3rd degree on Friday :wink: ) and I have yet to draw any blood for any reason.

What kind of proof would convince your friend? Would he like to see the real membership application?

That is an outrageous, hateful, spiteful, dishonorable, and slanderous Lie…I am a Knight and that is sickening to hear someone say something like that…have your friend contact me if they want to know the truth. 225-247-8884

[/quote]

[/quote]

Candidates wishing to Join the Knights of Columbus must be practical Catholic gentlemen, at least 18 years of age, as those terms are understood by the Church. A practical, or practicing, Catholic gentleman is cetainly understood by the Church to be a gentleman who obeys God’s Commands, including the fifth commandment, Thou shalt not Kill. The Knights of Columbus are firmly committed to defending all human life against those who would unjustly deprive any persons of their right to life, at every stage of development from conception to natural death. The charge that Knights of Columbus would endorse the sorts of acts described above is an outrageous calumny.

What kind of proof would convince your friend? Would he like to see the real membership application?

The only paper prospective members are asked to fill out and sign is the Form 100 for membership application. You may view the front and back of this form here. All are invited to read this form in full. Please note that nowhere does it mention anything about killing non-Catholics, slicing open expectant mothers or bashing babies. I think most Councils would prefer that applicants sign their Form 100 with blue or black ink rather than blood; it’s so hard to find a ballpoint pen prefilled with blood and cleaning out a fountain pen in which blood has begun to coagulate is such a messy job.

[quote=pkmksk]Take your friend to a KoC meeting and then he will see for himself. I myself do not belong to the KoC since my wife is pregnant and I don’t want to risk it. :eek:
Only kidding!
[/quote]

Please check ahead of time with the Council before going to a Knights of Columbus meeting as a non-member or before bringing a non-member as a guest. Many social meetings are open to spouses, family and other guests, but business meetings are usually restricted to the membership.

pkmksk, I would encourage you to consider joining the Knights. There are many worthwhile benefits for you and your family, and there are many Councils serving military gentlemen and their families.

SK Joseph Bilodeau, DGK, Council 776.

That’s totally insane, the man should be sued for slander. No one signs anything in blood, and no one agrees to hurt or kill anyone. For a Christian to repeat such rubbish is a slur upon all Christians, not just Catholics and Knights.

For someone to make up or pass on these things is quite unChrist-like, and I would question their motives, morality and sanity. Anyone who believes such nonsense needs to have their head examined, and anyone who passes on such rubbish is no Christian.

It takes a lot of hatred to make up such stories about fellow Christians, I pity the mans poor soul. IF that’s what he believes about a Catholic organization whose main purpose is charity and good works, then he can’t be much of a Christian. I’d be real curious as to who, how and where such a tale originated.

Of course some fundamentalists think Catholics are satanic. Such an opinion would be right up their alley. Such a pity !

Christ’s Peace

Better yet, take your Protestant friend to a KC meeting and we can bash him around for spreading such nonsense… Just kidding but barely :slight_smile:

How can you even ask IF there is any truth behind such a statement ???

Does it really make any sense to you, that a Catholic organization that supports Pro-Life 100% would even consider such an oath ???

There is absolutely positively ZERO truth behind such an accusation, as a matter of fact Truth does not even belong in the same sentence as that remark.

I have a lot of protestant friends and not one has ever insulted me as much as your friend did to you. You should demand an apology from your so called friend. For him to think that your faith has such an organization is an attack of your faith and should not go unchallanged. To me that’s pretty low. Offhand, I would say, not much of a friend, with friends like that who needs enemies…

wc

Much thanks everyone. I imediatly knew that i couldnt possibly be true.I just needed some one to tell me right side of the story. Am still a young catholic (17) so i am still learning quite alot. I have never meet a knight but i hear that they are very nice and faithfull people.

My father’s an honorary member of the KofC, and he’s not even Catholic. Does that mean he has to slay non-Catholics now? Funny things some anti-Catholics come up with.

[quote=Finex]Much thanks everyone. I imediatly knew that i couldnt possibly be true.I just needed some one to tell me right side of the story. Am still a young catholic (17) so i am still learning quite alot. I have never meet a knight but i hear that they are very nice and faithfull people.
[/quote]

If you are a practicing Catholic you can become a Knight at 18YO. I am sure you have met a knight. They are amongst the men who go to your Church. In our Church we wear our badges for recognitions and recruitment. They may do this at your Church as well. If not, look up your knight council and start inquireing about it. They have a “Squires” group you cna look into if you are not getting ready to turn 18 any time soon. Good luck and I wold definaltly demand a sincer appology form that “So called Christian” person you know.

I found out more about this on an anti-catholic website. Apparently, the Jesuits, Knights of Columbus, Illuminati, and Masons are all a united front by the pope to secretly rule the world. :rotfl: :whacky: Do I hear a cuckoo?
You can read the full text of the supposed “oath” at biblebelievers.org.au/jesuits.htm

Here’s the excerpt from the “oath” where the lies are coming from. Supposedly, this was entered into the Congressional Record in 1913 as being part of the oath of the KofC. During the 1960 presidential campaign, some West Virginia reporters basically shoved this in Kennedy’s face and asked him to defend or explain it.

"**“I do further promise and declare that I will, when opportunity presents, make and wage relentless war, secretly and openly against all heretics, Protestants and Masons, as I am directed to do to extirpate them from the face of the whole earth; and that I will spare neither age, sex, or condition, and that will hang, bum, waste, boil, flay, strangle, and bury alive these infamous heretics; rip up the stomachs and wombs of their women, and crush their infants’ heads against the wails in order to annihilate their execrable race. That when the same can not be done openly, I will secretly use the poisonous cup, the strangulation cord, the steel of the poniard, or the leaden bullet, regardless of the honor, rank, dignity, or authority of the persons, whatever may be their condition in life, either public or private, as I at any time may be directed so to do by any agents of the Pope or superior of the Brotherhood of the Holy Father of the Society of Jesus.” **
Hey! It says here in the next paragraph that you guys in the KofC get a dagger! I collect swords and daggers! Please tell me that at least this part of the oath is true? :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.