Knights of Malta head resigns after dispute with Vatican

The head of the Knights of Malta, who has been locked in a bitter dispute with the Vatican, has resigned, a spokesperson for the Rome-based Catholic chivalric and charity organization said on Wednesday.

The spokesperson said Grand Master Matthew Festing had resigned after Pope Francis asked him to step down at a meeting on Tuesday. Grand Masters of the group, which was founded in the 11th century, usually keep their position for life.

reut.rs/2jc4aCt

Wow. This escalated very quickly.

I am not criticizing the Holy Father, but I still continue to scratch my head as to why more “traditional” leaning orders seem to get disciplined with an iron fist…while extremely liberal groups, such as the LCWR, enjoy decades of quiet dialogue with Rome to resolve their issues. It seems to be a trend and I don’t get it.

What happens now to his Most Eminent Highness? Does he retain any sort of honours or precedence as a “Grand Master Emeritus”? Is he eligible for assuming another position in the Order?

There is such a thing as obedience to the Pontiff.

For those who seem to care about the word, it is very traditional.

The discipline is in response to the action the leader takes. I am sure similar action would be taken for anyone that called what papal action illegitimate and contended with the Holy See. Pope John Paul had similar battles.

I see a reassignment in Burke’s future.

Maybe, but I don’t see what he has to do with this situation.

I’ve noticed on a few threads now that you have an ax to grind when it comes to His Eminence?

His position as Cardinal Patron doesn’t carry any direct jurisdiction over the Order nor any power over its internal governance. It still isn’t clear that he had any involvement in any of this.

I don’t.

onepeterfive.com/breaking-knights-maltas-grand-master-resigned/

But now, the “knights who won’t retreat” appear to have done exactly this, with the order’s Grand Master, Fra’ Matthew Festing…

There is nothing to be gained by speculating on the relationship between the Pope and Cardinal Burke, any future assignments or discipline. There is a lot to be lost, namely, cult of personality, division by favorite (I am of Apollos, I am of Paul, etc.), and thinking of the Church as fodder for celebrity gossip.

???

What in the Wide World of Sports!?!

Burke is right smack in middle of this (if not the instigator of this)!

This fringe group is at the forefront of the Amoris Laetitia hysteria. I class them with the equally hysterical LifeSiteNews.

AMEN!!! God Bless, Memaw

Vatican:

Statement concerning the resignation of the Grand Master §RV rv.va/8zEryR

pending the appointment of the Papal Delegate.

Sounds to me like the Pope just told SMOM the Vatican will be appointing the Grand Master from now on?

This is what it has to do with the situation:

ansa.it/english/news/vatican/2017/01/25/pope-accepts-festing-resignation_29645713-be4d-41b1-8014-79ecdbd2bfbe.html

Freiherr’s dismissal was reportedly backed by the pope’s envoy to the order, conservative Cardinal Raymond Burke, against Francis’ advice.

Based on what’s coming out in the media it kind of looks like Burke was acting as a rougue agent. Or what someone might say a loose cannon.

That is what would appear from the statement.

So they are not a sovereign nation anymore?

Hmmmmmmm…so they are not a sovereign nation anymore? Who do they have to thank for this? What is the definition of a loose cannon?

Their ‘sovereignty’ was established by a Papal Bull. What one pope can order another can change. There was always way too much discussion here about how ‘sovereign’ they were. They are a religious order established by the Church that is subservient to the Church.

According to a couple unnamed sources. Where’s the proof?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.