Knights Templar

I was kind of surprised at something I read today.

Documents have been found in the Vatican Archive that exonerates the Knights Templar of Heresy.

Not that I know much about Freemasonry but the Knights Templar are considered to be a forerunner of the Freemasons.

Freemasonry is banned by the Catholic Church.

Maybe the Freemasons histories are wrong.

Not exactly. It has been known since the time of the Templars that the charges were trumped-up by King Phillip for his financial gaines and false confessions were extracted by torture.

The document recently found is a transcript of the trial. It will be issued as a book, with 799 copies printed. The document was known earlier, but apparently misfiled in the archives at some point.

“Considered forerunners” by whom??? Dan Brown?

The Templars are in NO WAY a “forerunner” of the Freemasons. They have nothing in common at all. The Freemasons began using some of the symbols that had been used by the Templars-- that does not make the Templars the forerunner of the Freemasons.

No, they are not.

You’ve been reading some fancy fiction, it seems.

Freemasonry itself isn’t banned by the Catholic Church. What is banned by the Catholic Church is for her members to belong to the Freemasons. This is primarily due to the fact that Freemasonry is a very secretive society where only its members are given knowledge of certain secret teachings and even within the groups only to members of sufficient stature or level.

Pope Leo XIII wrote most forcibly against Freemasonry in several letters and encyclicals.

See:

papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13human.htm

papalencyclicals.net/Clem12/c15inemengl.htm

papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13ms4.htm

papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13ms3.htm

papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13bav.htm

papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13praec.htm

papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13apost.htm

ChadS

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.