Knotts' slur stirs the Haley storm

This is about South Carolina politicians.

Lexington state Sen. Jake Knotts called political rival and Republican gubernatorial candidate Nikki Haley a “raghead” on an Internet political talk show Thursday evening.

The term is a slur typically used against Arabs or other ethnic groups who wear turbans or headdresses. Haley, a state representative from Lexington, is the child of Indian immigrants.

“We already got one raghead in the White House,” Knotts said. “We don’t need another in the Governor’s Mansion.”

thestate.com/2010/06/03/1315978/knotts-uses-slur-to-describe-haley.html

Knotts is trying to pass his comments off as a joke, but I can’t help but wonder why he would use that racist slur if he didn’t think it had currency among the electorate.

[quote="Dale_M, post:1, topic:200859"]
This is about South Carolina politicians.

thestate.com/2010/06/03/1315978/knotts-uses-slur-to-describe-haley.html

Knotts is trying to pass his comments off as a joke, but I can't help but wonder why he would use that racist slur if he didn't think it had currency among the electorate.

[/quote]

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL he's an idiot whose political career is dead:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

that being said I am from Louisiana and my Indian Governor seems to be working just fine :D.

If the party affiliations were switched this thread would be 10 pages long already.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:3, topic:200859"]
If the party affiliations were switched this thread would be 10 pages long already.

[/quote]

Well, nothing in the thread so far mentions any party affiliation.

Plus, I can't see how that would make any difference.

[quote="Dale_M, post:1, topic:200859"]
Knotts is trying to pass his comments off as a joke, but I can't help but wonder why he would use that racist slur if he didn't think it had currency among the electorate.

[/quote]

I don't know what kind of currency a comment like that has among his constituents, but his using it either he didn't feel it would hurt him or he thought the majority of his people wouldn't mind that type of comment. At the very least it probably reflects how he feels about Obama and Haley.

ChadS

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:4, topic:200859"]
Well, nothing in the thread so far mentions any party affiliation.

[/quote]

political rival and Republican gubernatorial candidate

It doesn't state Knotts' party affiliation, but he is Republican as well.

My point was that if Haley were a democrat, this thread would be at the top of the list for a couple days.

Plus, I can't see how that would make any difference.

Let me help you.

If Haley had been a democrat.

Dale_M would not be the name of the original poster.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:6, topic:200859"]

Let me help you.

If Haley had been a democrat.

Dale_M would not be the name of the original poster.

[/quote]

Oh, I don't know about that. I think I still would have posted it, if I had found it first.

But, yes, if the racist comment had come from a Democrat, it probably would have been news all over the conservative side of the internet. And that would mean that other CAF members might have seen the news before me. And, the Politics forum being what it is, I agree that this thread probably would have many more comments if the bigoted remark had come from a Democrat.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.