Know anything about Fr. Stan Fortuna?

Anyone know anything about Fr. Stan Fortuna? Is he an apologist, evangelist, preacher (like Fr. Corapi)?? I’ve reviewed is website and he seems very committed to the faith and JPII’s teachings.

He’s a good rapper!

Seriously he make hip-hop rap catholci music. I kid you not.
He is very much a disciple of JP2 and loyal to the teachings of the church he will appear from time to time on shows like Life on the Rock. He is extremly charismatic and interacts well with catholic youth. His music is pretty hip while being reverent and relevant.

HE belongs to the same religious order as Fr Bendedit Groeshel and are New Yorkers so they both have that dircect style of dealing with the faith. He pulls no punchs but sometimes delievers them if you like Corapi you will like him as well.

He’s fantastic. His use of Hip-Hop and Rap to teach Catholic teaching and morality is simply inspired. He spoke at a Eucharistic Convention here in NZ about finding and serving Christ in the poor.

I have experienced all three priests…and all of them are passionate in their love of Jesus and His church. They tell it like it is. I find Fr Stan geared to the youth, Fr John Corapi to the mature and Fr Groeschel has a more gentle approach so he touches more people. I like them all…we are so blessed!

Fr Stan’s homily Behold, I Make All Things New can be heard here francescoproductions.com/pages/francescoarticles.html

I cant stand his music but then again, others can’t stand mine either. I guess I can respect him for what he does and still dislike the music.

His musical styles cover so much more than rap. I like his albums that have more quiet, hymn-type music, but when I’m in the mood for something energetic I don’t mind the rap.

Peace be with you!

I’d classify Fr. Stan as more of an evangelist than anything else. Like Shoshana said, he is great for the youth (though I certainly love all three priests that have been mentioned in here).

In Christ,
Rand

I know Fr. Stan. He is a good guy dedicated franciscan priest and very orthodox. He was actually my first introduction to the CFR’s - but that is for another story.

Fr. Stan is fantastic! My son has his book, “U Got 2 Pray”, which has a prayer and scriptural quote for almost any situation in life. He and I read it all the time, it is a wonderful reference.

We also enjoy his guest appearances on EWTN’s “Life On The Rock”. His love for JP2 is very moving and inspiring.

I heard him rap “The Zipper Zone” and some improv at a Jesuspalooza youth rally a year ago. And I saw his music video of a different song, and he was wondering why MTV wouldn’t carry it.

It was good, if you like that sort of thing.

But honestly, I don’t think Christian rap is going to bring teens back. Christian rap and rock music is Christianity’s way of saying “we’re just like everybody else” when Christianity really ought to be radically different. Teenagers (in my experience) are sick of superficial, and most of the teen-oriented Catholic stuff I’ve been to has been superficial, “we’re just like everybody else.” Granted, not every teen is going to fall in love with Gregorian chant, but why be Christian if “we’re just like everybody else”? If Christianity isn’t any different, then great, I’ll be Christian, but I won’t be any different.

What will bring teens back? SANCTITY. We need to see our priests, our parents, our parish nuns who do everything except the consecration… we need to see them loving God and acting accordingly. Fr. Stan Fortuna is going to bring more teens back because of his pure love for God than by his rap.

That came out eight times as negative as I meant it to. I’m sorry.

[quote=cardenio]But honestly, I don’t think Christian rap is going to bring teens back. Christian rap and rock music is Christianity’s way of saying “we’re just like everybody else” when Christianity really ought to be radically different. Teenagers (in my experience) are sick of superficial, and most of the teen-oriented Catholic stuff I’ve been to has been superficial, “we’re just like everybody else.” Granted, not every teen is going to fall in love with Gregorian chant, but why be Christian if “we’re just like everybody else”? If Christianity isn’t any different, then great, I’ll be Christian, but I won’t be any different.

What will bring teens back? SANCTITY. We need to see our priests, our parents, our parish nuns who do everything except the consecration… we need to see them loving God and acting accordingly. Fr. Stan Fortuna is going to bring more teens back because of his pure love for God than by his rap.

That came out eight times as negative as I meant it to. I’m sorry.
[/quote]

I don’t think Christian rap is going to bring teens back either, what it may do is attract their attention in the first place though. That may be just long enough for them to see Fr Stan’s genuine holiness.

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]Peace be with you!

I’d classify Fr. Stan as more of an evangelist than anything else. Like Shoshana said, he is great for the youth (though I certainly love all three priests that have been mentioned in here).

In Christ,
Rand
[/quote]

:amen:

by Gods grace i got to rap with him at a night club in Germany during world youth day…
it was awesome how everything happened. He is a real radical dude, down to earth, got an awesome testomy!

He is a very talented Jazz musician, the hip/hop rap is very good too - I’d suggest his live “Art of Improvising” CD.

I saw him a year or so ago.

He improv’d a rhyme/hymn to the Holy Spirit and played his bass at the same time. It was beautiful.

Then he did this rap thing. That was ugh.

I grew up on hip-hop. If hip-hop conforms itself to the Church (which was the sound of the first piece he did) then that’s fine. But if the message of the Church has to be fit into hip-hop (which was the sound of the second piece) then it just ends up sounding goofy and dated.

U got 2 pray? I think kids want to be able to relate to the Gospel, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it needs to be in their own slang. I don’t think that they want that anyway.

[quote=Eileen T]I don’t think Christian rap is going to bring teens back either, what it may do is attract their attention in the first place though. That may be just long enough for them to see Fr Stan’s genuine holiness.
[/quote]

Agreed. That’s what I was trying to get at.

The guy who was trying to get us to go to the Jesuspalooza rally said “I’ve heard he’s not really good, but you can go and laugh at him.”

But honestly, I don’t think Christian rap is going to bring teens back. Christian rap and rock music is Christianity’s way of saying “we’re just like everybody else” when Christianity really ought to be radically different. Teenagers (in my experience) are sick of superficial, and most of the teen-oriented Catholic stuff I’ve been to has been superficial, “we’re just like everybody else.” Granted, not every teen is going to fall in love with Gregorian chant, but why be Christian if “we’re just like everybody else”? If Christianity isn’t any different, then great, I’ll be Christian, but I won’t be any different.

you havent heard any good Christian rappers then. I truly believe God is raising up people from this generation who are reaching out to the youth with the truth and the gospel…through music…including Hip Hop…

At the same I agree that it is VITALLY important for these artists to be living their faith more than making songs about it…

Gregorian chant dosent glorify God any more than Hip Hop, the glory is given to God when we use the skills and abilities and talents and gifts that He has given us and out of a free act of the will lift them up to Him as a sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving…Hop Hip can be just as Holy as Gregorian Chant…and the youth like it…they like the sound of it…you wont catch them listneing to gregorian chant…bet

I have witnessed and heard some VERY talentented and ANNOINTED artists with AMAZING testimonies…might be just what our generation needs…God is moving…

I felt it necesary to give my two sense being a Catholic artist, and a rapper…
:slight_smile:

[quote=Anonymous_1]you havent heard any good Christian rappers then. I truly believe God is raising up people from this generation who are reaching out to the youth with the truth and the gospel…through music…including Hip Hop…

Gregorian chant dosent glorify God any more than Hip Hop…

I have witnessed and heard some VERY talentented and ANNOINTED artists with AMAZING testimonies…might be just what our generation needs…God is moving…

:slight_smile:
[/quote]

God doesn’t need priest to degrade themselves and the priesthood by acting like 19 year old gang-bangers. What he needs is priests to act like priests.

Body and soul work together. Just as the outward movements of the body reflect the virtue - or lack thereof - within the soul; so too the outward movements of the body have a great affect on the virtues within the soul. Moderate bodily movements actually help to sanctify the soul, whereas perverted movements - such as those of rappers - corrupt the soul.

Acting like a crack-smoking MTV gand member is not going to sanctify the soul, and will only make a mockery of the priesthood.

The priesthood is suffering enough from the pediphiles: it doesn’t need “rapping priests” to degrade it even more.

The following is a link to a “blessing” by Fr. Stan.

francescoproductions.com/pages/blessings.html

“There is a way that seemeth right to man, but the end thereof is death”.

I wasn’t going to write this, but if people continually glorify this perverted behavior of a Priest! for heaven sakes, how will he ever realize his error? He should be corrected for such unbecoming behavior, not praised for it.

Certianly there must be MANY OTHERS on this message board who realize this.

USMC,

I have spoke up on these issues in these forums(and was hacked to pieces) before with regards to liturgical music and innovations therein. I look at Catholic Rap as a joke and a selling out.

Music should be judged by its melody, harmony, and rhythm first. It is impossible to put a syncopated, pulsating, sensual hip-hop beat to lyrics about Marian devotion and expect to do something other than confuse and corrupt. Naturally, it is a dichotomy, a lie.

Thinking that adults and priests have to sell out to popular culture is disturbing, but thinking that young people do not want Gregorian Chant and other beautiful genres of music is downright naive. I have witnessed a parish that is transforming its young in orthodox music and the young people(of many races) are present in mass at Mass.

While I do not deny that Fr. Stan is orthodox in his teaching and lyricizing, his quasi-musical delivery has more power to divide and corrupt than his message has to evangelize.

The church and all its members must not be like everyone else, its immutablilty must stand apart and reign true now and forever.

To anyone who is interested, I suggest Fr. Basil Nortz tapes on Music and Morality to delve further into how popular music disposes man to vice.

Humbly,
JD

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.