Know of a good Catholic Bible Commentary?

Hello,

I am wanting to get a good Catholic bible Commentary.

I really like the Haydock Commentary but it seems like it is out of print.

I’ve heard mixed things about the New Jerome Commentary.

Do you know of any good Catholic Commentaries?

The Ignatius Study Bible is one of the best, though it’s still incomplete (but almost finished). The New Testament is done and has been released. The Old Testament is having the final touches put on it and should be out soon.

The Navarre Bible is also excellent, but is a bit more of a spiritual study.

Have you checked Amazon. They may have used copies of the Haydock.

The ultimate Catholic commentary, free online
clerus.org/bibliaclerus/index_eng.html

Sacra Pagina.

Depends on what you’re looking for…there are dozens out there.

St. Ignatius is good, but might not be what your looking for, if you want real in depth study…in comparison to other commentaries, its like comparing a History 101 survey class text book to texts used in an upper level history course…again, not bad, but you might be looking for more.

Before I assembled my theology library (now nearly 2500 volumes), I found The New Jerome Biblical Commentary, Third Edition an excellent single volume reference…runs about $170 at various outlets (google title…but don’t confuse with other titles including St. Jerome or Jerome in the title).

Look into a package from Verbum.com if you are really interested in assembling a library.

The Navarre Bible commentary is also very good, but it will take a little time and money to collect all 10 hardback volumes. I bought them over a period of 14 months. The notes are very Catholic and theologically based. :thumbsup:

I favor recent commentaries/studies because they have references to the Catechism of the Catholic Church which in turn will lead you to more insight through Scripture, Church Fathers and council documents.

I would offer up this free Catholic Bible study because it offers excellent commentary…

agapebiblestudy.com/

Here is an example from Genesis 1…

Genesis
B’ r’shiyt [Be re’siyth]

Genesis begins with a prologue (Gen 1:1- 2:4a) that provides an overview of Creation in a six part division, climaxing in God’s pronouncement of the completion of the Creation event on “the seventh day.” It is through God’s divine will and His pronouncement (“God said”) that the universe and our planet came into being. It is His presence, His will, and His divine purpose that continues to sustain the cosmos and the world in which we live.

Please read Genesis 1:1- 2:4a: The Prologue of the Creation of “Heaven and Earth.”
As you read through the prologue, please note the word repetitions. For example, “God said” is repeated eleven times in 1:3, 6, 9, 11, 14, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, and 29.

Genesis 1:1-5: The First “Day.” (The significant Hebrew words that we will be discussing are in brackets; “formless-void” is underlined to indicate the Hebrew word in brackets means “formless and empty”).

1:1In the beginning God [Elohim] created heaven and earth. 2 Now the earth was a formless void [toho ra bohu], there was darkness over the deep, with a divine wind [ruah] sweeping [rahap] over the waters. 3God said, ‘Let there be light,’ and there was light. 4God saw that light was good, and God divided light from darkness. 5God called the light ‘day’ and the darkness he called ‘night.’ Evening came and morning came: the first day.

Our English title, “genesis” was adopted from St. Jerome’s Latin Vulgate translation (Liber Genesis). The Latin title came from the Septuagint translation (the Greek translation of the Old Testament made about 300 years before Christ). “Genesis” is a transliteration of the Greek word geneseos, a word that translates the Hebrew word toledoth, which means “generations.” The Hebrew word is a key word in identifying the structure of Genesis. Translators have usually rendered the Hebrew word toledoth as “account” or “generations” (Genesis 2:4; 5:1; 6:9: 10:1; 11:10, 27: 25:12, 19; 36:1, 9; 37:2). However the Hebrew title of the book of Genesis is plucked from the first two of the seven Hebrew words of the first sentence that begins the Genesis prologue: “In [the] beginning.” The definite article “the” is not present in the Hebrew text (Hebrew-English Old Testament), nor is it present in the Greek Old Testament Genesis translation (The Septuagint with Apocrypha: Greek and English). Our English title, “genesis” comes from the Greek word meaning origin, source, birth, or beginnings. The first two Hebrew words in Genesis 1:1 are b’re’shiyt [be re’siyth], pronounced “bay-ray-sheet,” which means “in beginning” or “in first.” The Hebrew prefix “b” [be] can be translated as “in,” “for,” “through,” or “with;” while the Hebrew word “re’shiyt,” from the Hebrew root rosh [as in Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish feast which means “head (start) of the year”], is defined as “the first in place, time, order or rank; specifically a first fruit; beginning, chief, first, principal thing” (Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance; Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon).

As in English, the Hebrew word for “first” (re’shiyt) has a double meaning. It can mean the first in order, and it can also mean the first in power or rank. I could say that a certain student is the “first” in the class, meaning the first to arrive in the room; or I could say he is “first” in the sense that he is the most accomplished student in the class. Re’shiyt was also the title of the firstborn son in a Hebrew family. The "firstborn was the “first fruits” of the womb. A “firstborn” son was “first” in the sense of birth order, but he was also “first” in the sense of power and rank because as the designated heir he carried the power and authority of the father of the family. As the re’shiyt, the designated heir, he was destined to receive a double measure of the father’s material and spiritual blessings (Gen 27:27-37).

As the only begotten “firstborn” Son of God the Father, Jesus merited the Father’s power and authority (Jn 1:14; Mt 28:18; Jn 17:2).

Then if you scroll down to the bottom you will have cross references of verses to Catechism paragraph.

agapebiblestudy.com/genesis/Lesson_2.htm

This series is pretty good also…

Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture which comes in individual books…

catholiccommentaryonsacredscripture.com/

haydock1859.tripod.com/

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.