Know of any good fantasy books

Do any of you know of any, good fantasy books, more of young adult or children literature?

Do not mention the following as I have already read them.

Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
Harry Potter
Chronicles of Narnia
Inkheart/ Inkspell
Eragon/Eldest
The Never Ending Story

It is really hard to find good books.

Example of books I don’t like

Stardust(movie great, book horrible)
Dragon Riders of Pern

Tried Terry Pratchet?

Dragonlance?

Terry Brooks?

For what age of person are you looking to get these for?

I highly recommend the Myth series by Robert Asprin. Very funny fantasy adventures. However, the humor can be a little bawdy in places, so it is for older audiences only. I just finished the second book in the series - Myth Conceptions - and loved it.

Late teens.

I would like to put emphasis on the Terry Brooks books. I’m reading one right now and it’s great!

Ok. Well, the Myth books (so far) have a few sexual references in them. Nothing really explicit and no sex scenes. They may be better for adults. I love the series but would not want to recommend something inappropriate.

Terry Brooks’ book’s are great. Similar to LOTR but very in depth. My boyfriend loves them, owns almost all of the books the guy has ever written. I’ve read a few and enjoy them as well.

I agree. There is a bunch in the both series that will keep you interested for awhile. I like the dragonlance series the best though. Just make sure you buy the series sets within the series and read them in order.

Oops, I missed that Terry Brooks was already mentioned!

I would reccomend Katharine Kurtz’s Deryni series.

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-9719480-4193252?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=katherine+kurtz&x=10&y=17

This series started coming out in the mid-70s and I would be hard pressed to tell you which is the first book.

David Eddings various series are excellent as well.

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-0278187-9386546?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=david+eddings&x=14&y=19

I almost hesitate to recommend Robert Jordan (God rest his soul). He went to his eternal reward without finishing the series

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-0278187-9386546?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=robert+jordan&x=19&y=14

It get’s tedious at points but at the bottom line it is a pretty good series.

The Amber Series by Robert Zelazny

amazon.com/Great-Book-Amber-Complete-Chronicles/dp/0380809060/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197333978&sr=8-1

The Book of the Dun Cow and its sequel, The Book of Sorrows, both by Walter Wangerin Jr. A very “Christian” worldview. Extremely deep and thought-provoking and lots of action. I couldn’t put either down once I started reading, and I cried at the end of both books. These really stretch the mind and help people, especially Christians, think outside the box of “earth” and “this present life.”

Watership Down and its sequel, Tales from Watership Down, both by Richard Adams. People are wary of these books because they are about rabbits–yes, cute cuddly rabbits! People think, “How dumb!” Not true!!! Bigwig and Hazel are the epitome of heroism, and all the other characters are well-developed and more real than people. Be careful when reading the first novel–you will not be able to stop reading once you hit the last 100 pages, so don’t take it to class with you.

The Wizard of Oz series by L. Frank Baum. There are at least a dozen books in this series, which is very different than the movies. It’s light, easy reading; you will finish one of the novels in under an hour. But full of imaginative lands and characters.

My husband loves The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series, by Stephen R. Donaldson. There are six books in the series, and he read them back when he was young. I’ve never read them, but he swears they are great.

I love H.P. Lovecraft stories, especially the Cthulu Mythos stories. (Many of these have been written by other authors, especially August Derleth.) Lovecraft is more horror than fantasy, but he has truly created a fantastic, thorough, and mind-boggling mythos. His books stretch the imagination and help a Christian reader to remember that there is another world that we can’t see, but is more real than the “real world” that we live in now. Once you read Lovecraft, you will never walk by a manhole and ignore it again. And you might be afraid to go down into your basement. Or swim in an ocean. Or look in a mirror. Or keep fish. Or eat fish.

The classic fantasy (I assume many high school students are still required to read it) is T.H. White’s The Once And Future King. This is one of the re-tellings of the Arthurian legend. I personally HATE this legend because I just don’t “get it.” I think Arthur was a wimp, his wife was a hussy, and his favorite knight was a gigolo. But I’m seeing it through 20th Century eyes. I did enjoy the Mary Stewart version of the Arthurian legend (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment), but these are written for women, and are romantic. I do think that anyone, including teenagers, who is seriously interested in fantasy needs to read at least one good re-telling of the King Arthur story. So much of fantasy is some variation of this story.

I personally like Kiplings Jungle Books, which many don’t think of as “fantasy” because there are no whimsical creatures like elves and dwarves and sorcerers. Only tigers, elephants, snakes, etc., and a little boy who has been raised by these animals. But if that isn’t fantasy, what is? The Jungle Books are pure magic–delightful adventures with all kinds of deep hidden lessons for the 21st century. Don’t let Phil Harris and his “Bear Necessities” scare you away from delving into these wondrous stories.

Finally, you MUST see the 21-hour-long opera, Der Ring des Nibelungen! This epic tells the story of the Norse gods (with the German names). Of course it is pagan, and Christians should not fall for its gospel. But the story is magnificent, and the characters are unforgettable. My daughter sat through a PBS showing of this opera (done over four evenings) when she was only FIVE YEARS OLD! She loved it! Siegfried and Brunhilde were as exciting to her as Ariel the Mermaid and Snow White, and even at her young age, she was able to grasp the significance of the Gotterdammerung. I don’t know if there is a copy of the PBS version, which was beautifully done with English subtitles. If so, get it. To my knowledge, there is no “definitive” re-telling in book form of this mythos. I have a book called The Ring of the Dark Elves by Victoria Randall which you can order online only. It’s a pretty good novelized version of part of the story, but a lot is left out. I wish with all my heart that someone would write “THE” Ring Cycle book (it would be about ten thousand pages long, but big deal–isn’t Harry Potter pretty long?!). Anyway, try to read about these gods and goddesses and their fate.

Have fun!

George R. R. Martin and Terry Goodkind are both good fantasy writers.

Dragonlance is great.
Many books, in fact probably too may IMO.
They’re are like a less literary version of LOTR.
My only beef with DL is the use of Mormon theology infused with the mythos of the realm DL takes place in.
I never noticed it until I learned about the Mormons. I realized a similarity and thought “this is similar to what Mormons believe”.
My suspicions were confirmed when Tracy Hickman admitted to it.

In depth? What does that mean? The first book is IMHO utterly awful–an unimaginative pastiche of LOTR. The later Shannara books get a bit better. But IMHO he’s one of the poorer fantasy writers out there. I much prefer Robert Jordan among the would-be Tolkiens.

Cat and brotherhrolf have some excellent recommendations. I’d add a few:

Orson Scott Card–largely sf but has some fantasy as well, and his sf is close to fantasy at times (and vice versa). His “Alvin Maker” series is an entertaining alternate history of early 19th-century America in which there are people with magical skills (“knacks”). Warning: the series is a sort of alternate-history biography of Joseph Smith (Card is a devout Mormon). His book Enchantment retells the Sleeping Beauty legend in the context of medieval Russia (though the hero is from our own day).

Ursula Le Guin: wrote/is writing a lot of good sf, but her Earthsea trilogy is an excellent fantasy series.

George R. R. Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire series is excellent in my opinion, though pretty rough in terms of sex and violence (I have not kept up with the last couple of volumes, to be honest). It’s very dark with abrupt twists and turns, usually tragic, and with lots of flawed, passionate characters.

I liked the first volume of David Farland’s Runelords series (The Sum of All Men) quite a bit. I started reading the second book and never got into it. The basic premise of the series (aristocrats who receive “attributes” from their vassals in return for protection–essentially the vassal gives their sight or hearing or beauty or whatever to the lord) sets up some great moral conflicts (the villain of the first book is stockpiling attributes by any means necessary in order to become invincible–the “sum of all men”–how do you fight him without becoming just as monstrous as he is?). I thought the second book seemed to be losing its focus, as often happens with fantasy series.

Edwin

The Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card:
[LIST]
]Seventh Son*
]Red Prophet*
]Prentice Alvin*
]Alvin Journeyman*
]Heartfire*
]The Crystal City*[/LIST]

Ahh! I was trying to remember that author, the Belgariad isn’t it! Fantastic series!!

I also love Sheri S. Tepper, especially “The Awakeners”. It’s awesome! :thumbsup:

Madeleine L’Engle: A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters. Fantastic books. More for children to begin with but I still love them and I’m 25.

Lloyd Alexander’s Chronicles of Prydain: The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer, The High King. Classic fantasy heavily based on Welsh mythology.

I second (or third?) the nomination for Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books. Hilarious satire of fantasy. And there are at least 30 of them. That should keep you busy for a while. Some people say you don’t need to read them in order, but I think they’re better that way. Start with The Color of Magic, then The Light Fantastic and work from there.

For my husband’s sake I’ll mention the Thomas Covenant Books by Stephen R. Donaldson. (Beginning with Lord Foul’s Bane.) I was never able to make it past the first book, but he swears by them.

I would be wary of Terry Goodkind. The first 5 books are pretty good, though there’s quite a bit of sex, but then he starts running out of ideas and getting really, really preachy. It’s like he thinks his audience is made up of closet communists the way he goes on about it. And in my opinion, the morals are all around questionable.

Terry Brooks is… really just a poor man’s Tolkien. The Sword of Shanara was so obviously a pathetic copy of LOTR without any of LOTR’s strengths. But then so is Eragon and you liked that.

And Robert Jordan… I understand they can be enjoyable and even inventive at times, but if you decide to go there be prepared for hundreds upon hundreds of pages during which nothing furthers the story.

AH! I was trying to remember the name of that. Awesome! I’ll third that!

Don’t know what age you are looking into, but Maria Doria Russell has two books, the first is The Sparrow and the sequel is the Children of God. Both would be for adults or young adults only.
Enjoy the good reading!
CherylA

Highly recommend these.

Also, anything by Robert Jordan (The Wheel of Time series is fantastic, can be slow at times, but it is 11 books so far), Terry Goodkind (as mentioned, a little sex at times, but nothing too offensive, or David Eddings.

Still Brooks and Weis/Hickam (Dragonlance) are my favs. Brooks may be LOTRish, but they are still amazing books.

And Dragonlance is great, since there are so many storylines. The quality of them depends on the authors however, which is why I mentioned Maragaret Weis and Tracey Hickam.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.