Know what I'm supposed to be doing, but the actual "doing" part needs a jump start

Hello.

So the opposite of sloth is diligence, correct?

I don't work outside the home but it's become pretty clear to me what I ought to be doing, I think. I am not disciplined - in fact the older I get the less disciplined I seem to be. I miss my college adviser of 30 years ago who could terrify me with a glance into getting busy with the things I really needed to be focused on.

But now people think I'm an adult because chronologically I'm supposed to be one and many times they give me the respect due an adult and that makes me nervous.

And my faith isn't strong enough to take the parable of the talents seriously to heart - so then I just fiddle away my time instead of doing with it what I feel called by God to be using it for.

I'd sure like to hear other's methods of jump starting themselves when it comes to getting busy with the work you've felt called to do by the Lord.

Thanks for listening and please pray for me.

I'm with you- I struggle with diligence too. I've read many articles on sloth which is linked to despair. nothing seems to help, at some point it is a matter of just physically forcing oneself to get up and do something. I really think it's a problem that goes a lot deeper for many people today than is generally shared. The availability of media to wile away our time on, certainly doesn't help those of us who struggle with this problem.

Do you struggle with having, much less meeting your goals? Or do you have goals at present, but can't muster up the self-discipline to start on a path towards them? Do your goals excite you when you think of them, or is there a certain dread in carrying out the steps towards them? You say you know what you are supposed to be doing...are you certain of that?

Love is a great motivator- do you feel loved in your life, and able to return that love? You sound so lonely to me. :console:

Prayer that you'll find your way. :)
It's hard to be focused if you're worried or feel pressured about things.

Father please lead crenfro to peace of mind and focused enthusiasm, of self-motivation, and helping others.

Our Father, who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil. Amen

I make lists. What do I need to accomplish, and what are the individual steps. ie paint the house. Choose colors, choose brand of paint, Prep sanding, primer. Paint first the eves, then siding, then trim. Each day I have a list of what to accomplish that day. The basic steps to painting the house are spread out over 3 weeks. Todays list is; work 5 hours, call in trim paint color to store, pick it up on my way home, paint trim on back side of house, pay bills. The lists helps me to focus on taking the next stepto accomplish my goals. Even big projects can be broken up into small steps until they are finished. I reward myself when the list is done. Read a good book, watch a favorite movie, go on C.A. But first I have to complete a task, or the list to have my fun. It really works!

[quote="Regina_Love, post:4, topic:304231"]
I make lists. What do I need to accomplish, and what are the individual steps. ie paint the house. Choose colors, choose brand of paint, Prep sanding, primer. Paint first the eves, then siding, then trim. Each day I have a list of what to accomplish that day. The basic steps to painting the house are spread out over 3 weeks. Todays list is; work 5 hours, call in trim paint color to store, pick it up on my way home, paint trim on back side of house, pay bills. The lists helps me to focus on taking the next stepto accomplish my goals. Even big projects can be broken up into small steps until they are finished. I reward myself when the list is done. Read a good book, watch a favorite movie, go on C.A. But first I have to complete a task, or the list to have my fun. It really works!

[/quote]

That works when I only have one big task to accomplish, but I'm with Crenfro... and I have about 3 dozen little tasks and 1 dozen big tasks to accomplish... and now Christmas is coming up. Sigh.

I suspect time management is a plot to drive us all crazy thinking we can do more than we can so they can take over the world!

But seriously, Crenfro, Mary Poppins, let's start an accountability group!!!!

I’d like that- I’m not on here much, though, if ever- so it would be hard to check it. Just feeling so desperate today that I logged on here!

[quote="Mary_Poppins, post:6, topic:304231"]
I'd like that- I'm not on here much, though, if ever- so it would be hard to check it. Just feeling so desperate today that I logged on here!

[/quote]

Wow, your stats show you really do not post a lot :lol:

I started the group (sent you and crenfro a pm and an invitation)--stop on by whenever you feel the need! If you have a really good day, or if you have a little something you want help with...

Oh my- I just realized that I am now added to this by email, so I check replies that way if something comes up- that makes access a lot easier!:)
thanks for starting the group! This might really help us.

So far today I have not gotten started on what I need to do, because I am feeling very overwhelmed by the diversity of tasks that are all equally crucial and can't seem to prioritize!

So I am going to finish my coffee and get dressed, then at least do math and grammar with my kids. That is my goal.:rolleyes:

oh.help.

[quote="Mary_Poppins, post:8, topic:304231"]
Oh my- I just realized that I am now added to this by email, so I check replies that way if something comes up- that makes access a lot easier!:)
thanks for starting the group! This might really help us.

**So far today I have not gotten started on what I need to do, because I am feeling very overwhelmed by the diversity of tasks that are all equally crucial and can't seem to prioritize!

So I am going to finish my coffee and get dressed, then at least do math and grammar with my kids. That is my goal.:rolleyes:**

oh.help.

[/quote]

:eek: Did you write that, or did I???? So eerie!!!! I know you did only because I don't drink coffee :lol:

I struggle with sloth as well. One good thing to do is Get off Catholic Forums and go to what you're supposed to do!!!! :D but seriously i really do struggle with it and i don't know why. I think sloth has something to do with boredom or that dryness feeling. Or maybe im scrupulous and think God always wants me in a certain place at a certain time (even though God does not want). Just remember that prayer is the most important thing anyone can ever do. It will be the best way.

Other than prayer I guess you have to force yourself to do stuff. Physical exercise could help with laziness of the body. Mental exercise such as reading the bible, listening to others, and thinking of righteous things can help laziness of the mind. Oh, and of course prayer can help laziness of the spirit. :)

You are all very comforting and inspiring. Thank you for your posts. They encourage me to get going.

Please pray for me.

Hi everyone- I've been thinking that a lot of it has to do with habit- there are pathways we create in the brain, and the more often we do something whether for positive or negative, the deeper that pathway becomes- truly ingrained, so to speak. But it's also true that while it's very difficult to begin, once we start working on creating a new pathway, it will become equally ingrained, and the old road will become "unused" so to speak. So that thought motivates me, for some reason- I think about creating a new path interiorly, and it's going to be rough going at first- of course it will- but then in time it will be smooth and easy! That's something to look forward to-

So I automatically fall into sloth at the beginning of the day- it's what I know and do over and over again- this morning I'm going to try a new way. I'm getting a good breakfast on for my spouse. ooooooh- it hurts, it hurts! I don't wanna get off the computer! arrrrgh- ok, I'm going now.:blush:

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.