Knowing ahead of time, regarding possible job layoff

My husband brought to my attention that the municipality for which he works may be doing some serious layoffs in 2 years. He and one other guy have the most seniority in his department (so he’d be one of the last to be let go), but there are a few other guys in neighboring departments who have a bit more seniority than he does. So, if my husband’s department is cut, and the neighboring departments experience cuts, the folks with more seniority in those other departments can bump my husband out of his position. He may or may not be able to bump someone else in yet another department, but I’m not sure if we would pursue that route.

None of this is likely to happen until fiscal year 2011/2012.

Knowing this is a possibility, what would you do? Save up like crazy (we are able to), in preparation for the possible future layoff, or save a bit extra every month on top of our regular savings (not necessarily everything), or live in the here-and-now (and just go along saving as much as we are now, and spending just as much as we currently do)?

He just brought the situation to my attention last night, and I’m trying to think through everything. Wisdom is appreciated.

Hey,

My advice would be to save as much as possible. Start to cut back on spending now. My husband just got laid off yesterday. It is a VERY scary thing. We dont have very much saved. We have a house payment, two car payments(both relatively small) and tuition to pay for our kids school. SAVE, SAVE, SAVE :smiley: And if you dont really need what you have saved…well, you can never have too much saved ;). There is always something you could use it for :stuck_out_tongue: I would even suggest he have other jobs lined up before the lay off happens. Dont count on your husband being one of the last to go…you never know what the company will do. Its best to be totally prepared! Good luck and I hope this will help some :thumbsup:
God Bless

I found myself in such a position several years ago. They advised me that my job would be discontinued when the new computer system was installed and ready to go. I paid off all my worthless consumer debt, and saved up as much as I could. With my severence pay and selling back unused vacation, I was able to take a few months off and have a nice cushion while looking for the next job. I would wait it out, unless your husband gets a really, really good job offer elsewhere, maybe this would be a good time to take some college classes.

I would second that idea. Save as much as possible, cut out unnecessary expenses...you just never know what will happen or how long it could take to find a new job. Better safe than sorry, pardon the cliche.

I would SAVE, but also beef up the resume and start searching for a new route - quietly and slowly.
And of course - PRAY - that God leads you and your family where HE wants you to be. Sometimes these challenges force us to look at other options in life. Be open to change in any direction and ask that God makes the right path easy to see.

I would go with the first option, the save up like crazy option. Minus anything truly crazy, like cutting out anything you truly need or that would be a big blow to your peace of mind or quality of life during the next year or two. Just like the others said, cut out unnecessary expenses and save as much as you can.

As I see it, that’s just good advice anytime. But especially when you have a bit of a heads-up (a great grace as I see it) about a possible rocky time in the future.

Something I read today on the blog catholicanalysis:

From young to old, we spend much of life searching for our calling. This search in many ways reflects our wider belief about our life: is it a series of random, accidental, chance events; or is there a purpose lurking in the multiplicity of our engagements and encounters throughout life? Today’s Wall Street Journal online has an insightful column that reminds us that the Christian view espouses a very personal purposefulness in our passions, interests, and callings. The occasion for these insights is the writer’s musings on how a Puritan might advise someone unemployed today:

*Man’s vocation was not seen as impersonal and random, but as from a loving and personal God who bestowed each individual with natural talents and desires for a particular occupation. *. . . .

The Puritans pursued joy, the very antithesis of depression, even in the midst of hardship, believing they were firmly in God’s hand, not forgotten and never forsaken.. . . .

A man’s worth, the Puritans might advise the unemployed Steve Lee, lay in his service to God and to his fellow man, not in titles or financial portfolios. Rather than seeing life as a series of random events, the Puritan’s belief in Providence imputed a profound sense of a loving God’s purpose for him, a purpose that left very little room for despair.

Article here.

Substitute “Christian” for “Puritan,” and apply these insights to your own situation and calling, even if you are employed. This worldview has shown itself to be the basis for great productivity and creativity, regardless of our personal circumstances.

regards,

dj

I want to thank everyone for their posts. My gut reaction was to save, save, save.

We spoke about it last night, and my husband is not really that concerned because our monthly budget looks like this: 50% necessary expenses, 23% savings (not including our retirement contributions), and 27% discretionary income. He wants to maintain this setup for now, especially since we already have enough money to cover several months' worth of expenses, should he lose his job.

I proposed the idea of me offering childcare to one family at either one of the parishes near us, to be put directly into our savings, as a way to make me feel better about the situation. He agreed, so we'll see about pursuing that route after the first of the year.

Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.