Knowing Chrisianity is Right?

I have heard that some people know there is a God but, they don’t know which one to follow. So my question and I apologize because my question is so opened ended. So how do we know that Christianity is the Truth and nothing else is the truth besides it?

Primarily, through faith and the intercession of the Holy Spirit. However, I also feel that our faith is also supported by history, moreso than some other religions.

The person of Jesus Christ.

On a Catholic Forum, not only is Christianity the Truth but specifically Catholicism. On a Protestant Forum, Protestantism in whatever form is the Truth, on a Jewish or Muslim Forum…I think you get the picture.

Why are you asking this as well as the question about Islam being true?

Only if the Truth is relative. Since neither of our faiths teaches that the Truth is relative we can agree that your above is incorrect.

I think he means what people believe is the truth.

That makes more sense when compared to his prior posts. I guess I misunderstood what he was trying to state.

Truth is found many places. After all, how many belief systems advocate theft or dishonesty? The real question I believe is how do we know that Christianity has the truth needed to get us back to the presence of God.

The Bible gives us some guidelines. Put the Lord to the test. He will not fail you. Good luck and God bless.

James 1:5 (KJV) If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

John 7:16, 17 (KJV)

1. Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Unlike mystical religions that are based on what “so and so” said he experienced (Mohammend went into a cave alone; Buddha went to a mountain top alone, the various gods of Hinduism don’t even pretend ever to have appeared to anyone), Christianity (arising out of Judaism) is based on events that actually happened and were recorded historically.

We can debate about “what happened to Jesus’ body” - what is not up for debate is that at some point between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning of Passover weekend, 33 AD, his body vanished from his grave, and the grave-clothes were neatly folded up inside.

What is not up for debate is that the Apostles, together with 5,000 other witnesses, claim to have seen and spoken with Him during the 40 days subsequent to His death and resurrection. That is a historical fact.

Which is more likely - that all of those thousands of people were being deceived? Or that they actually saw what they claim to have seen? (For a court case to go to trial, you only need two witnesses.)

And what is not up for debate is that, on the 50th day, tongues of fire appeared over the heads of the Apostles, in the sight of all Jerusalem, and they began to preach the Gospel in every language on earth - that they baptized 3,000 people that day, and that the movement they established became known as “the Catholic Church.” What is also not up for debate is that Peter’s successor is sitting in the Bishop’s chair in Rome this very day.

We can say that Jesus was an incredibly proficient trickster who caused thousands of people to see things that weren’t really there, but we cannot deny that those thousands of people claim to have seen them.

To put it into perspective, more people claim to have seen Jesus risen from the dead than claim to have ever seen Caesar Augustus, alive or dead. If you believe that Caesar Augustus existed, on the evidence provided for him, then, to remain consistent, we must also believe that Jesus rose from the dead, since we have greater evidence and more witnesses for that. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.