Knowing God's Will

How do we know what God’s Will is? If you say “The Holy Spirit told me to set up an anti-abortion student group at my school”, then that’s awesome, but it may invite the question “How do you know it was the Holy Spirit? Maybe it was just you feeling that way. The Protestant student group claims to be following the Holy Spirit, and so do the Lutheran and the Anglican groups. Is the Holy Spirit directing all these groups?”

Recently a priest who wasn’t prepared to say the homily, delivered it really well despite it being improvised and he said “that was not me, it was the Holy Spirit talking”. But how does he know this? Because it was good? Suppose he had slipped in a heresy into his homily by mistake. Would he still be correct in claiming to be lead by the Holy Spirit?

Ive asked this same thing regarding God answering prayers…some people absolutely swear on their lives that God answered them in some way or another, but we dont know for sure, example, the guy who is standing on the roof when flood waters are rising all around him, he starts to pray and then a guy in a boat comes along, or some other aid, coming in the form of mans action, some will say that is God answering, some say, hey, maybe that guy in a boat just happened to be in the area and would have come by if the guy was praying or not.

I believe this sort of thing has been proven actually, as there are plenty of stories from people getting saved from different things, and they did not pray or ask God for any help, yet they still received help, so…?

Personally, I would not see a problem with God answering such a prayer for help in a more ‘supernatural, Godly manner’, if the guy on the roof was praying to be saved, why should it be wrong for God to send angels down, lifting him to safety, or suddenly stopping the rising waters altogether… I mean, God told us to ask and we shall receive, why does it have to be in a manner that is questionable as to the origin of the aid, if he was praying and angels showed up to lift him to safety, really, this should not be a big deal, just a guy getting his prayers answered by his creator, just as he was instructed to in the bible?

Is THAT kind of aid too much to ask for?

Faith is belief without proof - or so I’ve been told :slight_smile:

As far as someone being saved without them praying for it - who’s to say it’s not the answer to someone else’s prayer? God transcends time/space. Perhaps their mom prayed for their safety? Their grandfather did? Perhaps a random stranger prayed saw the storm warnings on tv and said a quick prayer for anyone who might be caught in the storm?

As far as praying and not being answered - well, unfortunately “no” is indeed an answer. So is “wait”.

And since people have free will, perhaps God prompted someone to answer our prayer and they chose not to. Does it mean that God couldn’t answer it in a more direct fashion, or through another? Of course, He could. But he might chose not to. And that’s okay, because whether the answer is yes, no, or wait. Whether that answer comes from the actions of another or through direct intervention by the angels - the answer still comes and it’s still the right one for us at the time. I know because I have faith in a God who is all-knowing and all-loving. (And plenty of personal experiences with Him :smiley: )

And as far as God’s will goes, I’ve yet to find a set of guidelines for clearly determining that. But I’ve learned quite a bit in the struggle to figure it out.

Hence my user name. My life is a journey - a struggle - with uphills, downhills, questions, detours, muddy pits, celebrations, companions, rest breaks, storms, and sunshine. It starts at the cradle where I was born and will continue until I rejoin Him who created me. I know I’ll have plenty of questions, if I’m given the chance to ask about why things occured, what I should have done, etc. But I suspect I’ll see that indeed there are many paths to the same destination.

God’s will is good, is love, justice, mercy, life for you and for me and for all.

If you say “The Holy Spirit told me to set up an anti-abortion student group at my school”, then that’s awesome, but it may invite the question "How do you know it was the Holy Spirit?

same answer as the above.

Maybe it was just you feeling that way.

If it is only feeling, it will only be for a moment.

The Protestant student group claims to be following the Holy Spirit, and so do the Lutheran and the Anglican groups. Is the Holy Spirit directing all these groups?"

yes.

Recently a priest who wasn’t prepared to say the homily, delivered it really well despite it being improvised and he said “that was not me, it was the Holy Spirit talking”. But how does he know this? Because it was good?

If it is good then yes it comes from the holyspirit.

Suppose he had slipped in a heresy into his homily by mistake. Would he still be correct in claiming to be lead by the Holy Spirit?

If heresy means against God’s will and God’s truth and God’s wisdom and God’s love, then no he’s not lead by the holyspirit.

If God were to send a great miracle in answer to each prayer would not the individual in question necessarily become somewhat lazy and/or sloppy in his/her approach to life? Would not the possibility that God would get one out of any difficulty in a pinch somewhat erase personal responsibility and consequences of action…? And further, would it not render meaningless the bravery and sacrifice of those who might risk their lives to save others?

Somewhat like if one’s parent were to continuously rescue one from distress…when would one ever grow on one’s own?

For those who do not believe, this life is only a series of coincidences. They’re “lucky” many times probably because of the one’s praying all the time.

Read story about Abraham intercede for Sodom and Gomorah

When God said He had heard the great of injustice from Sodom, Abraham questioned God this question:
Genesis 18:
23 …“Will you really let the just perish with the wicked? Perharps there are 50 good people in the town”
God answered:
Genesis 18:
26 …“If I find fifty good people in Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake”
To cut the story short:
It turned out there were no 50 good people. Abraham kept coming back to God and asking him to lower the number of good people for the reason not to destroy the town. The last number Abraham came up with was 10.
The story then continue with the story about Lot who lived in Sodom. This story shows that Lot is the only one good person in Sodom. God saved Lot and his wife and two daughters. His wife was turned into pillar of salt when she turned back to look at the destruction. The rest of the story shows that even Lot’s daughters were “twisted” in their way of thinking about sex. God saved them because of Lot.

Read Genesis18:20-Genesis 19

I believe this sort of thing has been proven actually, as there are plenty of stories from people getting saved from different things, and they did not pray or ask God for any help, yet they still received help, so…?

It’s yet proven if all of us quit praying then what will happen.
But we know the answer from the story of Sodom.

Personally, I would not see a problem with God answering such a prayer for help in a more ‘supernatural, Godly manner’, if the guy on the roof was praying to be saved, why should it be wrong for God to send angels down, lifting him to safety, or suddenly stopping the rising waters altogether… I mean, God told us to ask and we shall receive, why does it have to be in a manner that is questionable as to the origin of the aid,

Aid itself is something good rescuing somebody from something bad.

All goodness comes from Him. Believe these things as “theories” first, then try to see it in real life. Therefore reading the bible is most important for our faith.

if he was praying and angels showed up to lift him to safety, really, this should not be a big deal, just a guy getting his prayers answered by his creator, just as he was instructed to in the bible?

Is THAT kind of aid too much to ask for?

Perhaps that’s what happen all the time (angels came to sodom to save Lot and his family). Maybe our eyes can’t see them because of our unbelieve…

There are a few questions you can ask yourself in these situations:

1. Does the proposal I’m considering conform to God’s revealed will?

2. Does it encourage conversion?

3. Is it consistent?

4. How is the choice being confirmed?

5. What is my heart telling me?

I agree with this, and would also like to add: Ask yourself as well if it gives you inner peace. For we may not always be happy with our choices, but these should give us inner peace. The happiness may come later.

The Holy Spirit still inspired his homily; it was his human weakness that made him slip in the heresy. That’s just my opinion of course; I will gladly defer to others who know more on the subject.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.