Known for his great interest in birds and animals as well as for his gifts of healing

I’m dedicating this post to @tad , praying that St Cuthbert will join us in our intercession for Tad , his mum and family . Tad and his love for birding came to mind when I reflected on this .

St Cuthbert

Celebrated on September 4th

A monk and bishop of Lindisfarne , born in Northumberland in northern England in 634, Bede tells us that as a boy tending sheep on the hills above Leader Water, St Cuthbert had a vision in which he saw angels carrying the soul of Aidan to heaven. Later he became a monk under St Eata at Melrose. For many years he undertook long journeys on foot and on horseback, preaching in the remotest parts of the country between Berwick and Galloway. In 664 he accompanied St Eata to Lindisfarne and travelled south to Durham.

By nature he was a solitary, and in 676 he retired to the desolate island of Farne where he lived until 684, when he was called to be Bishop of Hexham. He quickly exchanged his see with Eata for that of Lindisfarne, where he worked tirelessly preaching, giving alms and visiting every part of his diocese.

St Cuthbert was known for his great interest in birds and animals as well as for his gifts of healing. On one occasion he is said to have revived a dying baby with a kiss.

St Cuthbert attracted people by his simplicity and his holiness. Shortly before he died one night in 687, he withdrew to his retreat on Farne. The news was signalled to the community on Lindisfarne by the waving of torches from the clifftop. He was buried at Lindisfarne but after the Viking raids began, his remains were taken to Durham cathedral. In 1827 some ancient bones were discovered there under the site of an ancient mediaeval tomb.

About 135 churches are dedicated to Cuthbert in England and 17 in Scotland. His image is depicted in many churches and cathedrals. Place names such as Kirkcudbright in Galloway, Cotherstone in Yorkshire and Cubert in Cornwall were named after him. All the Farne Islands, said to be under his protection, are now a sanctuary for birds, seals and other wildlife.

Photo of Farne Island - - - - - - - - - - -

(from ICN)

Am I right that St Bedes bones were hidden in St Cuthberts tomb in Durham Cathedral?

I went to Berwick a few months ago with the intention of visiting Lindisfarne or Holy Island but transport to the island was so difficult I gave up and saw Alnwick castle instead, which was great but …
Not an easy place to get to becasue the roadway is affected by the tides of course.

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

@Lee1 St Bede’s bones were moved from Jarrow to Durham Cathedral c 1020 and placed in St Cuthbert’s tomb . In 1370 they were moved to a shrine in the Galilee Chapel of the cathedral . The shrine was destroyed during the Reformation . but the bones were reburied in the chapel . In 1831 the bones were buried in a new tomb in the cathedral where they remain . Photo below - - - - - - -

Thank you. I have visited Durham Cathedral several times because I am drawn to it. I’ve been to a few others too but for some reason I am content to be within Durham Cathedral.

At Mass this morning , you , your mum and family were in my intention .

I have been in the cathedral once on the way down from Scotland .

Are you from the north of England ?

No not from the north from the south east but I have a loved one in Newcastle and another in Scotland. I may move that way yet. Due to the icon next to your name I made the error of assuming you were from Nottingham!

That was very kind. I led a Scripture Communion service this morning. The first reading reminded me of you.

Brothers and sisters:
The Spirit scrutinizes everything, even the depths of God.
Among men, who knows what pertains to the man
except his spirit that is within?
Similarly, no one knows what pertains to God except the Spirit of God.
We have not received the spirit of the world
but the Spirit who is from God,
so that we may understand the things freely given us by God.
And we speak about them not with words taught by human wisdom,
but with words taught by the Spirit,
describing spiritual realities in spiritual terms.

Now the natural man does not accept what pertains to the Spirit of God,
for to him it is foolishness, and he cannot understand it,
because it is judged spiritually.
The one who is spiritual, however, can judge everything
but is not subject to judgment by anyone.

For “who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to counsel him?”
But we have the mind of Christ.

I had planned to spend this week in Newcastle which would have been a first , but it didn’t work out .

I just like to remember the Robin Hood stories from my early years .

Me , I’m - - - - - - - - - - – - - -

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.