Knox Bible by Baronius Press (Lots of Pics)

I received my new Knox Bible today. It is published by Baronius Press

baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=60#tab=tab-1

The picture on the website makes it look thinner than it actually is. The pages however, lay very flat. The paper isn’t extremely thin parchment like some Bibles but a bit thicker and very white. Here are a few pics.

Nicely packed.

Single column

-Tim-

Verse numbers printed in the margin

Two ribbons. I will singe the ends of these with a match so that they don’t fray.

An idea of the size…

Leather. An idea of the finish…

-Tim-

It’s beautiful!

I love the side numbering. Should be standard. thanks for the pics.

i dont think we will be rushing to buy a bible in scotland knox mmm

I got the same Bible last year and love it. You are right that it isn’t a pocket bible, but that is one of the things I love about it. I like the heavy weight.

The three biggest things that took some getting used to were the side numbering, the older number of the psalms, and some of differences in names of the books. The side numbering sometimes made it slightly harder to find the exact verse, but made it much easier to read (along with the single column). The other two aren’t too bad either. I generally just subtract one from the psalm number and am fine.

I sometimes wish the Knox translation was allowed for liturgical us in the US. It’s one of the hidden gems of English translations.

This will be my next cover-to-cover read and so I’m looking forward to the single column and margin numbering. I’m glad that you find it easier to read that way and am hoping for the same experience. Thanks for the tip about the Psalms.

There is some ghosting through the pages which is visible in the pictures. Do you notice that at all as you read?

-Tim-

Nice! I got mine used (exc. condition) on ebay. I like comparing Knox with my other daily readings. Sometimes a dynamic translation can bring a lot more meaning out of a verse that is hard to understand in a more formal translation. The spelling of the names of people and places in Knox (like the D-R and Confraternity translations) is what throws me off, especially when reading the Old Testament. If you use those older translations a lot then there is no adjustment, but if not you will need to have a more modern translation to compare it to as you do your cover to cover reading. :thumbsup:

It will be interesting to see if Baronius, which happens to sell the 1962 handmissals as well, includes the Knox translations in a side by side with the Latin in its newer editions.

However, I hardly doubt the Knox will ever be used as a standalone in the Mass. Too dynamic.

this REALLY is interesting,the last thing they wanted us to get our hands on in 11 years of religious mmm was the bible

Sorry…but what is “religious mmm” :confused:

Could someone give me a rundown on the Knox Translation? Of course, linkage is just as good!

Is it approved by the RCC? Is it an actual translation? I’m interested in how the Knox Translation fits into Catholicism.

Because quite frankly, having come from Protestantism, I can tell you the one thing the RCC has not gotten right yet is producing quality Bibles for the masses. I’ve even found
confusion regarding the differences between Leather and Bonded Leather.

I have been trying for over a year to find a quality RSVCE. No dice.

Quality = Real leather covers, premium paper, smyth-sewn binding, etc.

teaching i think it was called

Check it out here.

newadvent.org/bible/gen001.htm

Knox Translation Copyright © 2013 Westminster Diocese
Nihil Obstat. Father Anton Cowan, Censor.
Imprimatur. +Most Rev. Vincent Nichols, Archbishop of Westminster. 8th January 2012.
Re-typeset and published in 2012 by Baronius Press Ltd

However, the Knox Bible is not new

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knox_Bible

Not really. The main places I see it is “behind” the chapter breaks or ends of paragraphs; basically anyplace there is extended white space. Where there is a solid block of text you have to be looking for it. In the other Bibles I have I tend to notice it much more because the pages are thinner. Some with the thin onion skin type pages I can actually read the words on other side of the page. This is almost more like shadows that even my ADHD can overlook. :wink:

Overall it just feels to be a better quality. For instance I don’t feel like I’m going to tear the pages like some of my cheaper bibles. The sections also appear to be stitched to the spine rather than glued so I don’t expect the spine will split and delaminate like most paper back Bibles. It always amazes me how few Catholic Bibles are well constructed. Most seem like they are meant to be used for a couple years before falling apart. :shrug:

There is a lack of good Catholic Bibles but check out catholicbiblesblog.com for some candidates. The best a Catholic can do right now is send their favorite Bible to Leonard’s Bookbinding.

I have pictues of a zippered Oxford thinline RSV-CE at timhollingworth.blogspot.com/2014/01/zippered-thin-line-rsv-ce-bible-from.html. This was read cover to cover three times before I realized that it wasn’t real leather. I’m not sure if it has everything you are looking for but the feel and finish is outstanding.

The Knox Bible was translated from the Vulgate by Msgr. Ronald Knox beginning in 1936. It is approved by the Church. There is a good overview at catholicbiblesblog.com/2012/10/guest-blog-overview-of-knox-bible.html

-Tim-

Fyi, the Baronius is something called Cabra bonded leather. But by all reports it is a very high quality and durable bonded leather.

Where did you get the information that it was bonded? Their website doesn’t use the words bonded or Cabra but only says “beautifully bound in leather”.

It did feel very “plasticy” when I first held it and now that I look at it, the texture is too perfect.

Bible Design Blog has a post praising Cabra leather as not feeling as plastic-like as other bonded leathers. At the end of the day however, no matter what resin they use to bond the leather it is still bonded and the cover of this Bible feels more like plastic than leather.

-Tim-

Read this I have, often, for two days. Nay, two nights and two days.

Say I, I must, half the time in the text being bound up in restructuring unnatural sentence structure such that, a feeble mind such as mine, might, perchance, comprehend what is written in a coherent way. Read it, yet I must, daunted not.

Who pray, will disclose the meaning of “Feet begrimed?”

And Msgr Knox must have had a broken keyboard. Not a single quotation mark in the whole thing! Nary a way to tell, David or Nathan, who speaks!!!

-Tim-

funny.
I read some pieces online, and this also struck me. I guess that’s what posters mean when they explain “Dynamic text!”

I remember some missionaries from here going to Africa and taking many Bibles with them. Just paperbacks. Nothing fancy in terms of presentation. But they told us about how each person help the book to reverently, cried over it being placed in their hands, kissed it, and refused to put it down for hours.
No doubt their feet were “begrimed”. :wink:

Thanks be to God that many like you study the Bible and cherish the Word.
Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.