Koinonia, anyone?

I’ve already posted my question to the Apologists, but I thought maybe someone could answer me a bit sooner. What are their beliefs? I have found the “definition” but can’t find anything telling me about what they do and/or believe.

Thanks a bunch
M

Do you mean the Habitat for Humanity group, Koinonia Partners founded by Clarence Jordan?

Hi!! I did the exact same thing as you last year. My parish started Koinonia retreats and everyone and their brother were telling me I should go and that it was like nothing they had experienced before. I asked what went on, and they said that some people spoke, but that they couldn’t tell me any more than that because it would ruin the weekend. I kept asking people questions, and even called Catholic Answers Apologetics. All they knew about it was the definition, which I can’t remember at the moment. I think it’s a Greek (?) word that means renewal or something like that.

My good Catholic orthodox priest friend knew nothing more about it either so since CA and my priest friend had never heard of it, I declined going to the retreat. Everyone says JPII endorsed this “movement” but I couldn’t find it on the Vatican website when I looked last…

My current priest who I believe is orthodox is very involved. Apparently it’s a new thing so many parishes don’t know much about it. In my church, there is a separate Mass that takes place in the church hall, and there is some kind of dancing supposedly… and they use a different bread for the host, and I’ve been neglecting looking into this further. I’m glad I saw this post because it has reminded me to get more information about what is going on actually… I’m going to check back here to see if anyone else knows more about this :slight_smile:

Nope, not Habitat for Humanity…

I just did a search in Google for it and found nothing relating to Catholicism though. I think it’s a term that can be used for different things and maybe it’s too new in the Church that it’s not “on the web” yet…

From the Vatican website (From JPII’s General Audience).
vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/audiences/2000/documents/hf_jp-ii_aud_20001108_en.html

From the Catechism:
948 The term “communion of saints” therefore has two closely linked meanings: communion in holy things (sancta)" and “among holy persons (sancti).”

Sancta sanctis! (“God’s holy gifts for God’s holy people”) is proclaimed by the celebrant in most Eastern liturgies during the elevation of the holy Gifts before the distribution of communion. The faithful (sancti) are fed by Christ’s holy body and blood (sancta) to grow in the communion of the Holy Spirit (koinonia) and to communicate it to the world.

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/ch_orthodox_docs/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_19820706_munich_en.html

d. The Spirit puts into communion with the body of Christ those who share the same bread and the same cup. Starting from there, the church manifests what it is, the sacrament of the Trinitarian koinonia, the “dwelling of God with men” (cf. Rv 21:4).

This is about all I ever found. It has a really positive effect on the people who go on the retreats, that is for sure.

There is a church in our town with a big sign that says “Koinonia”. It’s not involved with our Parish. It is seperate from Catholicism…it is apparently a religion of it’s own.

I did see something about Habitat for Humanity but am having difficulty logging onto any sites.

Thanks Todd and Psalm37!
M

hmmmm. It’s kind of unfortunate that the word can be standing for something in different religions… it sure gets confusing! :slight_smile: I keep trying to make sure I’m following the Truth, after realizing that not all parishes are orthodox in their perspectives. Your Koinonia question is one I’ve had for a while. I s’pose I’d better get around to finding a real answer about what it means in my parish…

I’ve never heard the term in my Parish. I don’t think.:hmmm:. I’ll just hang around and see what I can find out.

Talk to you later!
M

As others have pointed out, it seems like there are many different “koinonias.” Koinonia is a Greek word meaning “commmunity.”

The poster whose experience souns most similar to mine is Psalm 37:4-5. I’ve been on a koinonia retreat with my church, which is very orthodox. The people on the retreat don’t talk much about it to people who haven’t gone because part of the retreat is learning to participate in what is going on rather than trying to anticipate what is going to happen next. My retreat had talks about prayer, the sacraments, the church, the love of God, evangelism, the Paschal mystery, Christian living, and other topics. All of them were in line with Church teachings.
We do have K-Mass, which is a Mass for participants of koinonia retreats. It usually does not take place in the chapel, but I can assure you, that at least here, there is no dancing and we use the same bread for the Host as we do during other Masses. The only problem I notice with the K-Mass is the abundance of hand-holding at the Our Father. I understand that, due to the lack of information people generally give out about koinonia, it can look suspicious, but I have found it to be, on the whole, a good experience.

[quote=MCOLE]I’ve already posted my question to the Apologists, but I thought maybe someone could answer me a bit sooner.** What are their beliefs? ** I have found the “definition” but can’t find anything telling me about what they do and/or believe.

Thanks a bunch
M
[/quote]

**“Koinonia” **…is the same as “Fellowship in the Holy Spirit”…and we say it in the Mass.
but who pays attention to the Mass ?

We do “KOINONIA” in our city, although not all do it.
many of our fellow catholics are happy with mediocrity or lukewarmness,
but those who do Koinonia (premeditated followship in The Holy Spirit) enjoy it immensely…it is very simple.

**We commit to do in our lives these four things;
(1)…Kerygma, The Message taught by the Apostles.
(2)…Kiononia, Fellowship in the Holy Spirit, learn to be disciples.
(3)…Eucharistia, Built around the Eucharistic Liturgy
(4)…Marturia, be witness to Christ 's Resurrection, by removing the blockages

“When he comes, however, being the Spirit of Truth (The Holy Spirit) he will guide you to all Truth.”** John 16:13

The Holy Spirit does not lead us only to Koinonia, but into all (4) signs above, which results in leading us into THE NEW COVENANT .

God Bless All
who prayerfully, premeditatedly enter…
others will only wonder about it.

gusano

Here’s some more information about this koinonia thing

sne.poznan.pl/kurs_en.html

[quote=gusano] **“Koinonia” **…is the same as “Fellowship in the Holy Spirit”…and we say it in the Mass but who pays attention to the Mass ?
[/quote]

I am so very sorry you don’t pay attention to the Mass, that’s sad, but, I will pray for you.
We do “KOINONIA” in our city, although not all do it.

[quote=gusano] many of our fellow catholics are happy with mediocrity or lukewarmness,
[/quote]

Do self righteousness and arrogance come with this or was it a quality you possessed prior?
Sorry, if I had any intentions of investigating this you just turned me off.
May the peace and love of our Lord, Jesus the Christ, be with you,
Tom

[quote=Tom]I am so very sorry **you **don’t pay attention to the Mass, that’s sad, but, I will pray for you.
[/quote]

Thanks for the prayer, Tom …I hope you mean it, I soak up all the prayer I can get.

I think you completely misunderstood me.(beelzebub must have stuck his foot in there.)
I only asked the question; …“WHO pays attention to the mass ?”… I know I do, I go there on purpose not only to pay attention but to lose myself there…I must have struck a nerve.

[quote=]We do “KOINONIA” in our city, although not all do it.
Do self righteousness and arrogance come with this or was it a quality you possessed prior?
[/quote]

Selfrighteousness comes from spiritual pride and ignorance comes built in to our human nature from birth.
none of that comes from Koinonia (fellowship in the holy Spirit)… if I gave you that impression, please forgive me.
and yes,
I still possess those qualities… but the power of the Holy Spirit leads me to put that under Christ’s feet.
Heb.10:13 / Rom.8:13 / Gal. 5:16.

[quote=]Sorry, if I had any intentions of investigating this **you **…just turned me off.
*****May the peace and love of our Lord, Jesus the Christ, be with you,
Tom
[/quote]

Sounds like there is a possibility that you may not have had any intentions…
or if you did…
“someone… came and carried that seed away,”( Mat.13:19)

It was ** our enemy** who turned you off.

***** …and also with you.

gusano

Hey Gang!
I think there may be a bit of a misunderstanding regarding my question. Let me rephrase:

There has been a church added to our community with a big sign: Koinonia hanging on the front. It’s not a part of the Catholic church. I think there have been some people break away from the Baptist church to form the congregation. Maybe it’s some sort of “non-denomitation” church… I just don’t know.

Hope that clears things up.

Thanks for all your input!
M

I did find this link:

koinoniapartners.org/ministries/review03.html

Oops, sorry. That was the link on post #2.

[quote=MCOLE]Hey Gang!
I think there may be a bit of a misunderstanding regarding my question.
[/quote]

Well, it’s just that you bring up such an interesting question…
and the baptists didn’t invent “Koinonia”, nor did their break-aways.
One can see it clearly in Acts 2:42,43 …in the very beginning of the Church which Jesus Christ has been building since Pentecost.
1600 years (±) before the baptists appeared.

[quote=]Let me rephrase:
There has been a church added to our community with a big sign: Koinonia hanging on the front. It’s not a part of the Catholic church. I think there have been some people break away from the Baptist church to form the congregation. Maybe it’s some sort of “non-denomitation” church…** I just don’t know.**

Hope that clears things up.

Thanks for all your input!
M
[/quote]

Thanks for your honesty, MCOLE
As we catholics move deeper into **
(1)…The Message,
(2)…The Fellowship,
(3)…The Eucharist,
(4)…The Witness**
We will see that “koinonia” is very much a part of the catholic church.
The problem exists in lack of Catechizing.
Many catholics (myself first) have touched only “the outer skin” of Catholic Truth … and remained away from the Heart.

“Koinonia” can become a catchy “new word” that may attract some because it seems new or different.
But True Christianity. (if anyone is IN CHRIST) … will have these (4) signs all functioning in his/her life.

The peace of Christ

gusano

Hey, gusano!
Thanks for all your input…but I still think you’re missing what I’m asking. I understand there is a “Koinonias” movement in the Catholic Church…That’s great! Anything that brings us closer to Christ while keeping the Catholic Faith is a wonderful thing. I understand, a little, what the definition of Koinonias is. I’m just wondering what this new church is, since it is not Catholic based.

I realize that you are trying to make a point, yet within this context I guess I’m missing it a bit. I, too, understand proper Catechism is essential…I can’t find anything in the CCC. That’s why I’m here.

Thanks, again.
M

[quote=MCOLE]Hey, gusano!
Thanks for all your input…but I still think you’re missing what I’m asking. I understand there is a “Koinonias” movement in the Catholic Church…That’s great! Anything that brings us closer to Christ while keeping the Catholic Faith is a wonderful thing. I understand, a little, what the definition of Koinonias is. I’m just wondering what this new church is, since it is not Catholic based.

I realize that you are trying to make a point, yet within this context I guess I’m missing it a bit. ** I, too, understand proper Catechism is essential…I can’t find anything in the CCC. That’s why I’m here. **

Thanks, again.
M
[/quote]

Hi, M
In my early days of “charismatic”…I explored many churches.
My instinct was to explore … but not to leave The Eucharist, so in my exploration I listened to a baptist preacher who called their meetings “koinonia”.
The Greek seemed to “authenticate”… more than just “fellowship” …but they squelched the Spirit, and slammed catholic, so I kept moving.
Later I learned that to look at “Koinonia” by itself, is much like enjoying one leg …of a four legged chair.
or one wheel of a 4-wheeldrive -vehicle. :smiley:

If you have access to a Greek dictionary you will find “Koinonia” (Fellowship) in
Acts 2:42,
1 Cor.1:9,
1 John 1:3, and 9
and offered to us in every Mass.

The CCC opens it up to us in #949, 951, 953, 959… for starters.
“Koinonia” has other synonyms, you can find it as words like ;
Church, Communion, Communion of Sacraments, Communion of charisms, Communion of Love…etc

In reality “Koinonia” is only effective , on the long run , if we are bound to God and God to us in The New Covenant.
and the heart of the New Covenant is in the Eucharistic Liturgy. …(Mt 26:26-29)
If we make our “Main Artery” The Eucharistic Liturgy…we may find it beneficial to learn what other churches teach concerning those “synonyms”

It… will make our “Main Artery” more powerful, especially if we learn to Do Romans 12:1 as we listen to the Eucharistic Prayer the Priest offers.

I realize you already know all this…But I get such an awesome blessing every time I tell it !

The Joy of Christ to you

gusano

I went to the web site posted above and I’m a little confused. This certainly can’t be the “koinonia” movement we’re discussing is it?
The koinonia described was founded by Clarence Jordan, here’s a brief description:

[quote=] Clarence Jordan was a strange phenomenon in the history of North American Christianity. Hewn from the massive Baptist denomination, known primarily for its conformity to culture, Clarence stressed the anti-cultural, the Christ-transcending and the Christ-transforming, aspects of the gospel. He was an authentic product of the Bible Belt, of the rural, agrarian heartland, of the people’s church (he got his college degree in agriculture, graduating in the same class as Senator Herman Talmadge at the University of Georgia). Clarence pursued this tradition to its very end, ending at the top with a Ph.D. in the Greek New Testament from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky. -G. McLeod Bryan
[/quote]

It certainly was an interesting web site, but is this really the koinonia movement?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.