Kolbe Center on Genesis

Hello everyone, this is my first post, please excuse any mistakes I make. Thx.

I am currently being, I suppose, “targeted” by a group of other Catholics who are trying to convert me to a literal view of the first chapters of Genesis. They are nice people, and this is not rancorous at all. I’m enjoying the debate.

My question concerns the materials they are providing to me. They are from the Kolbe Center. I am making a list of all of the things in the books that are troublesome to me, and perhaps I would like to post some of my concerns here, however today I have a different question.

The books do not appear to possess an imprimatur, not any imprint from a censor. This book, The Doctrines of Genesis, is the one I’m working through at the moment. It has a foreward by a Bishop, Rev. Robert Francis Vasa…but not his imprimatur (as far as I can tell). In the foreward, the Bishop really brags on the book and its author.

So…can anyone tell me why no imprimatur? Or anything more about the author, Fr. Victor Warkulwiz? He’s a member of the Missionary Priests of the Blessed Sacrament and National Director of the Apostolate for Perpetual Adoration in the United States, and has a degree in physics from Temple.

Any other info is appreciated. Thanks!

It’s my understanding that Catholics are not required to believe in the literal interpretation of Genesis. I think a priest once said the idea from the Garden of Eden was that “God made things perfect and we screwed it up”.

Just also keep in mind that the idea of a “young Earth” is not even explicitly stated in Genesis, but is someone else’s interpretation of what happened using literal meanings of words like years and Biblical genealogy.

That comment about a young earth has not even been decided by the Church.

"The Time Question

“Much less has been defined as to when the universe, life, and man appeared. The Church has infallibly determined that the universe is of finite age—that it has not existed from all eternity—but it has not infallibly defined whether the world was created only a few thousand years ago or whether it was created several billion years ago.”

Source: Catholic Answers tract

Peace,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.