"Kosher" consecration?

At my sister’s parish the pastor, when consecrating the wine, uses the word “everyone” instead of “all.” I asked my pastor about this, and he was of the opinion that the bishop should be notified, but that it did not invalidate the consecration.

When my sister asked her pastor about it, his response was that “all” and “everyone” mean the same thing. He didn’t change the meaning. He also said that Jesus didn’t say “all”. The words used here aren’t exactly what Jesus said, because He didn’t speak english. Priests use an english translation of what Jesus said, and that is in keeping with Jesus’ exact words. Both “Everyone” and “all” are acceptable.

My concern is that he may be guilty of a grave offense by not using the official words of consecration, and that for Father’s sake she should make her bishop aware of the situation.

Is this a grave offense? Should she contact her bishop, or just drop the issue?

Peace and Good,
Linda

Dear Linda,

No priest has the authority to change the words of any Eucharistic Prayer. It is not HIS prayer. It is not HIS Mass. Canon 846, paragraph 1 states: “The liturgical books approved by the competent authority are to be faithfully observed in the celebration of the sacraments; therefore no one on personal authority may add, remove or change anything in them.” It would be appropriate for her to write the bishop.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.