Kraft and Cadbury Agree on Friendly Merger

NY Times:

Kraft and Cadbury Agree on Friendly Merger

NEW YORK — After months of fiercely resisting any deal, Cadbury agreed Tuesday to an improved takeover offer from Kraft, worth about $19 billion, to create the world’s largest confectioner.

Together Kraft, the maker of Oreo cookies and Ritz crackers, and Cadbury, the producer of Trident gum and Dairy Milk chocolates, would have more than $50 billion in annual revenue and a big presence in markets from the United States to India. 

The deal continues a trend seen over the past decade, in which food companies have sought to gain scale by combining with one another. Most recently, Mars bought the William Wrigley Jr. Co. in 2008 for $23 billion.

[sigh!]
Yeah, I know, it’s globalisation, blah, blah but you sort of wish they would leave iconic brands alone.

Even if no changes at all are made under the new ownership you know a Cadbury bar just won’t taste as good now that it’s a Kraft product.

[quote="didymus, post:1, topic:183679"]
[/FONT]

[/quote]

Even if no changes at all are made under the new ownership you know a Cadbury bar just won't taste as good now that it's a Kraft product.

But, think about this...Mac and cheese-filled cadbury eggs ;) LOL!!!

I thought it was bad enough, having been delighted to taste Cadbury bars in London back in '77-'78, and finding U.S. ones not quite as 'tasty'. . .this is worse yet.

Even more reason to make one's own candy and/or shop for really 'local' products. . .

Maybe they ship inferior stuff to the US, figuring we don’t appreciate quality anyway? Put another way, the stuff they export is tailored to US tastes.

Maybe a myth but I heard years ago that the Molson’s exported here is sold as Molson’s Light in Canada.

Actually in Europe itself the British and Irish are seen to have the least mature taste with regards to chocolate and are usually seen as consumer of 'kiddy chocolate' as milk chocolate type bars are often characterised elsewhere in Europe. Cadbury's was considered ok but nothing special, it's more of an icon in Britian and a few other places than world-wide. That said I'm sad to see Kraft buying them up - the Cadbury family who founded the brand were committed Christians and although it hasn't belonged to them in some time it' a part of British identity for many years that's now subtly changed forever.

:rotfl: *How weird…I had a similiar vision! :stuck_out_tongue: Gross though, right? *

At the end of the day iconic brand or not if it dissapeared tomorrow morning we'd all forget aobut it fairly quickly. There are a number of iconic brands that have faded away over the last century or so.

[quote="whatevergirl, post:6, topic:183679"]
:rotfl: *How weird...I had a similiar vision! :p Gross though, right? *

[/quote]

That would depend on what time of the month it is, dear whatevergirl :rotfl:

whatever do you mean, whitacre girl? :D:p

[quote="whatevergirl, post:9, topic:183679"]
whatever do you mean, whitacre girl? :D:p

[/quote]

oooh...nothing....LOL ;)

Ask any of the married men. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.