KY or MO more family-friendly?

So I might have to move to one or the other soon. While it’s not exactly Lafourche parish, I’m thinking KY, they seem more conservative and I lived there once and there were a lot of religious people, even if they weren’t catholic, which means the entire family is more likely to stay religious. Data suggests they are more conservative than MO. Am I right in thinking KY would be better?

This is totally not what I thought it was about. I know KY, was trying to think what MO was…
:blush:

The Lexington (KY) diocese is still somewhat rocked by the resignation of former bishop Kendrick involving the pedophile priest scandal.

The Louisville (KY) diocese is more active.

Me too, me too…

I don’t know that your question can be answered in a straightforward way. It would depend on where you are in either state and the community you live in. The urban areas of Missouri are very different than southern Missouri Ozark towns, and the Iowa border is very different than the southern towns.

In Kentucky, again it depends. I would say that southern Missouri and the mountain areas of Kentucky are pretty similar culturally. Both areas tend to be conservative Protestant, with a lot of Baptist and AOG churches. Both areas tend to also be anti-Catholic. Kentucky is a very beautiful state, but I think there are some problems with poverty similar to W. Virginia.

On the other hand, St. Louis has a large, strong Catholic community, and many unique and interesting places for children to visit (the City Museum, Magic House, Forest Park and their museums…). I like St. Louis quite a bit. I grew up in Webster Groves, but now live on the opposite side of the state.

St. Louis has a very strong Catholic presence. We specifically chose to move here 7 years ago because of it. The many new priests being ordained from the seminary here are very orthodox and very well educated, including dealing with pastoral issues in todays society. The larger churches all have at least 2 or 3 priests. All the parishes seem to have schools. There is a strong homeschool community. As mentioned many great places for kids including the zoo(free), science center (free), grants farm (free), magic house and the city museum and a six flags park.

There are some bad crime stats for St. Louis, this mainly because the city is separate from the county where all the suburbs are.

The Cathedral Basilica is world class!

Besides being named for a great Saint, St. Louis is the home of the Cardinals! (only Pope, Tennessee could possibly be better, although they don’t have a 10 time World Championship baseball team like St. Louis!)

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Also a St. Louisan plugging his home town! Missouri has lots to offer. We have a vibrant catholic community with growing seminary population.

Great town.:thumbsup:

Jon

I used to live in the St. Louis area about 12 years ago. It used to be 74% Catholic. It would be much easier for your children to remain Catholic if most of their friends and neighbors were Catholic, too. Most of the families that I knew had four children. Large families were somewhat common. I thought it was a great place to raise a family. There are several state parks that are close to St. Louis. Many places have nominal or free admission. The Muny, an outdoor theatre where musicals are performed all summer, has free seats in the very back of the amphitheater. The Symphony used to give away free seats right before the performance if they didn’t sell out. Across the river, Cahokia Mounds has a nice museum where people can learn about the Indians who built the mounds. It used to be free. The history museum in Forest Park is also free. St. Louis was a great area to live in.

As mentioned before - depends on where you go. Outside of Louisville, KY can be pretty anti-Catholic at times. Granted, within Louisville you still have a lot of pseudo-catholic nonsense to put up with. Lexington can be good, but the percentage of Catholics is lower than in Louisville.

Same thing for MO. My sister went to college in Springfield - very anti-Catholic. I went to school in Kansas City - pretty neutral, but has racial/political issues that could be problematic. I have friends in St. Louis whom I visit often - very strong Catholic history, beautiful cathedral, but “family friendly” will depend heavily on what part of town you’re talking about.

[quote="whm, post:6, topic:167976"]
St. Louis has a very strong Catholic presence. We specifically chose to move here 7 years ago because of it. The many new priests being ordained from the seminary here are very orthodox and very well educated, including dealing with pastoral issues in todays society. The larger churches all have at least 2 or 3 priests. All the parishes seem to have schools. There is a strong homeschool community. As mentioned many great places for kids including the zoo(free), science center (free), grants farm (free), magic house and the city museum and a six flags park.

There are some bad crime stats for St. Louis, this mainly because the city is separate from the county where all the suburbs are.

The Cathedral Basilica is world class!

[/quote]

Crime stats I believe also include east st. louis.

Another vote for St. Louis.... seminary is full and expanding. Great youth ministry....
(We bring at least 1500 teenagers to DC for the march for life).

[quote="upbeatjonm, post:8, topic:167976"]
Also a St. Louisan plugging his home town! Missouri has lots to offer. We have a vibrant catholic community with growing seminary population.

Great town.:thumbsup:

Jon

[/quote]

Re: St. Louis -Yeah but we are also on the list as the 2nd most dangerous city to live in. :eek::shrug: we even have drive by shootings then there's East St. Louis which might be the #1 most dangerous city for all I know. At least it looks like a war zone. :eek:

I've driven through KY I think I'd choose that over MO. Just 2 cents from a native Missourian.

[quote="Sierrah, post:12, topic:167976"]
Re: St. Louis -Yeah but we are also on the list as the 2nd most dangerous city to live in. :eek::shrug: we even have drive by shootings then there's East St. Louis which might be the #1 most dangerous city for all I know. At least it looks like a war zone. :eek:

I've driven through KY I think I'd choose that over MO. Just 2 cents from a native Missourian.

[/quote]

I already addressed that. The reason we are high on the list is because the stats include east saint lous, but NOT the suburbs.

East st. louis is really not a part of St. Louis. and the suburbs make up a lot more of what is considered St. Louis

Missouri :thumbsup:

As for as the conservative angle, Missouri is a red state. St. Louis City and the inner-ring suburbs tend to be more liberal, but if you go a little west or south (I live in St. Charles County, for example, about 35 miles west of downtown St. Louis City) it’s much more conservative (and incredibly safe. O’Fallon was recently named one of the safest cities and best places to live in the U.S.!). If you get further out (into “the country”), you’ll find more of a “Bible Belt” type atmosphere (my Southern Baptist in-laws live in the Ozarks area, for instance), but even then there’s still usually a Catholic church or 2 to be found.

In Christ,

Ellen

P.S.: Oh, and East St. Louis is in Illinois, not Missouri.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.