L.A. fire: Huge blaze engulfs tower, melts signs, bursts windows - LA Times

** L.A. fire: Huge blaze engulfs tower, melts signs, bursts windows **

A massive fire in downtown Los Angeles early today engulfed an apartment tower that was under construction, damaged two other buildings and left freeways and roads closed.

Firefighters used the 110 Freeway to set up equipment to fight the huge blaze.

Caltrans reopened the 101 Freeway and the southbound 110 at around 4:30 a.m., but the northbound 110 Freeway remained closed as of 7:30 a.m. Caltrans hoped to reopen the 110 north by 8 a.m.

More than 250 firefighters battled the fire at an apartment tower under construction in the DaVinci complex in the 900 block of Fremont Avenue, Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman David Ortiz said. The building – the size of an entire city block – had 1.3 million square feet of floor space, and officials said two-thirds of it was consumed by flames.

Read more at: latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-massive-downtown-la-fire-closes-freeways-20141208-story.html

This construction site used to be an open parking lot where I would park whenever I visited the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels downtown (about 4 long blocks way). It is part of a much larger complex of new apartments there. So long as no one was hurt in the fire, it is not such a disaster. They will rebuild.

It is a tragedy, and a real waste of time, money and effort. Thank God no one was hurt! This site used to be an open parking lot where I would park when visiting the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, about four long blocks away. I think they will eventually rebuild, as this was part of a much larger new apartment complex. The pictures of the fire are unbelievable.

This was a huge fire!!! Do they know yet if it was arson or how it started yet?

I hope they were insured. The freeways will still be a mess for hours and hours. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.