L.I. Church Holds Rosh Hashanah Services After Flood At Jewish Center

“The nipple of the pipe had burst, completely flooding about two-thirds of the way back through the building,” said Steve Gappelberg, a member of the center. “It was unusable.”
“I haven’t been in the building because it would break my heart,” added Lisa Arian of the Congregation Beth Shalom.
Organizers turned to their neighbors at the Sacred Heart Church a block away to help them start off the new year right.
However, the church wasn’t quite ready to receive company. The Parish Hall remained in disarray a week after celebrating the Feast of San Gennaro.
“We spent the entire day moving 250 chairs, bringing over our torah scrolls, portable arc, and we turned this auditorium into a synagogue,” Jewish Center of Island Park co-president Steve Diamond told CBS 2′s Weijia Jiang.
Firefighters and volunteers quickly pitched in and scrambled to get the Parish Hall in shape for the Rosh Hashanah services.
“We do work very closely together and there’s a wonderful respect,” Father John Tutone said. “This is just reflective of what always is here in our community.”
All involved agreed that this meeting of two faiths showed how people can work together and respect each other even if they have different beliefs.
“New year, new start, new beginning and we’re all here to be together,” Rabbi Mark Getman added.

Read the whole thing here:
newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/09/17/l-i-church-holds-rosh-hashanah-services-after-pipe-breaks-at-jewish-center/

“We spent the entire day moving 250 chairs, bringing over our torah scrolls, portable arc, and we turned this auditorium into a synagogue,”

Hahaha this is great! It’s just so good to hear that both communities didn’t hesitate to neither offer nor to accept help, and that the Jewish community moved everything, just about everything as it should be over to the church.

I’m loving it! This might be one of the most wonderful news I’ve ever heard. “Thy kingdom come” certainly happened on that day :slight_smile: This thread makes me very happy.

I’m afraid you didn’t get more responses, but know that you made me happy and will continue to make me happy with these news :slight_smile:

How I wish the entire world would act like family all the time :frowning:

I have no problems with this. It is a kind and charitable gesture, as the Parish Hall was used for this it presents no problems. My own Church when younger rented the parish hall at a nominal rent to a small African ecclestical community to worship in. Only if the Church itself was used would it present problems.

I wonder when they will celebrate Ramadan in the parish hall? They should invite the LGBT community over for a gay pride orgy so we can be one happy “community”.

Being CATHOLIC means something despite what some liberals think.

Perhaps you parish should rent its hall, for a nominal fee of course, to some heroin addicts so they can have some place to shoot up.

newadvent.org/cathen/07256b.htm

I am assuming by “small African ecclestical community” you are referring to a faith community that does not adhere to the teachings of the Catholic Church.

Indeed and been Catholic is not dependent on the political paradigm of either the US or any other nation. You are using reductio ab absurdum style rhetoric in the second example above.

I was assuming that if one is “liberal” in the modern sense of the word that they are not Catholic; esp the catholic liberal.

I don’t have to reduce this to absurdity because it is already absurd. Jews and protestants are in error. By facilitating their faith communities and especially their errant religious practices your are committing the sin of being complicit in that error and encouraging it.

Here is something else you should study up on:

newadvent.org/cathen/07759a.htm

Farsight unfortunately the forum has identified those words of ‘thedavidwilson’ as originating from me that you are quoting from him.
[/quote]

What is the modern use of the word ‘liberal’? What it means in America and Ireland are rather different things. By the way Muslims would not celebrate Ramadan, they would celebrate Eid which occurs at the end of it to return to that example. Muslims in London in the past hired Church Halls for this, including both Protestant and Catholic Church Halls.

I might suggest your tone in your posts is rather abrasive to say the least.

I think you make a valid point and it is one I struggle with very much.

But I guess is it truly charitable to encourage someone down the wrong path?
[/quote]

I agree with this. This comparison was not necessary.

This is a wonderful gesture to this Jewsish community. Jews are our older brothers in the faith. The Pope has expressed great hope for better relations between the Church and the Jewish people.

In laying the foundations for a renewed relationship between the Jewish People and the Church, Nostra Aetate stressed the need to overcome past prejudices, misunderstandings, indifference, and the language of contempt and hostility. The Declaration has been the occasion of greater mutual understanding and respect, cooperation and, often, friendship between Catholics and Jews. It has also challenged them to recognize their shared spiritual roots and to appreciate their rich heritage of faith in the One God, maker of heaven and earth, who established his covenant with the Chosen People, revealed his commandments and taught hope in those messianic promises which give confidence and comfort in the struggles of life.

In this town also, the people of the synagogue are neighbors and friends of the Catholics - remember the buildings are only a block apart. In helping their neighbors like this, the Catholics are living out the words of Christ in telling us that even the Samaritan is our neighbor.

I would think that a Catholic parish could rent or loan their hall for religious ceremonies for Christian, Jewish or Muslim organizations. The protestants are our separated brethern and the Jews and Muslims worship the same God we do (albeit imperfectly).

I would also hope that a Catholic church would rent their hall for an organization that was helping drug-addicts recover, or that was helping gay people live a chaste life. We would not encourage them in their sin, but would welcome them if they needed help.

I would also hope that a Catholic church would rent their hall for an organization that was helping drug-addicts recover, or that was helping gay people live a chaste life. We would not encourage them in their sin, but would welcome them if they needed help.

With the caveat that in the first case the parish would need to consider issues of safety for the parishioners I’d agree. However the poster introduced those did so in a foul manner so as to implicitly suggest using the parish hall to aid the Jewish people after their synagogue was flooded was equivalent to establishing a shooting gallery for drug addicts or allowing homosexual orgies to occur.

Yes, I understand that he was out-of-line. I was trying to bring the conversation up a level. I would hope that no matter the context, no one would wilfully equate Jews with drug addicts or permiscuous homosexuals.

I would hope not, but reality tells me otherwise from personal experience both here and in many other forums. You are perhaps right though and it is better to not descend to that level but move on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.