LA officials seek fix to $1B program after students crack iPad security, access video games

foxnews.com/us/2013/10/06/la-officials-seek-fix-to-1b-program-after-students-crack-ipad-security-access/

Education officials in the nation's second-largest school district are working to reboot a $1 billion plan to put an iPad in the hands of each of their 650,000 students after an embarrassing glitch emerged when the first round of tablets went out.

Instead of solving math problems or doing English homework, as administrators envisioned, more than 300 Los Angeles Unified School District students promptly cracked the security settings and started tweeting, posting to Facebook and playing video games.

What a ridiculous and wasteful idea, to hand iPads to a bunch of kids, then wring their hands that the kids played games on them!:rolleyes:

Good way to teach the rugrats a lesson in good ol' American entitlement to something you didn't earn, paid for by someone else. :shrug:

There's nothing wrong with a notebook and a pencil. School officials are over-thinking this.

[quote="Country_Gal, post:1, topic:341237"]
What a ridiculous and wasteful idea, to hand iPads to a bunch of kids, then wring their hands that the kids played games on them!:rolleyes:

Good way to teach the rugrats a lesson in good ol' American entitlement to something you didn't earn, paid for by someone else. :shrug:

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="psalm126, post:2, topic:341237"]
There's nothing wrong with a notebook and a pencil. School officials are over-thinking this.

[/quote]

And :thumbsup: again!

[quote="psalm126, post:2, topic:341237"]

[/quote]

Haha yeah that's for sure pencil and paper are a lot cheaper than a 400-dollar tablet... but that's California for you... with all the funding the school system gets somebody probably got the idea that this would be a "greener" way to do schoolwork and convinced the administration that it was a good idea.

Plus its a nice littler earner/monopoly for Apple.

[quote="Pilgrim1701, post:5, topic:341237"]
Plus its a nice littler earner/monopoly for Apple.

[/quote]

Bingo! Nothing like getting $1,000,000,000,000 contract!

I work at a school district that uses laptops for middle school and high school students. When the idea was first presented, it was assumed that it would be a huge waste of money, but when it came down to it, the students text books and sources are uploaded on the computer, so it came to be about the same cost as supplying those things. It also allows the teachers, students, and parents to communicate faster and easier. The kids also take much better care of their laptop than they ever did of their school books. So far, the biggest complaint is a lack of bandwidth in the middle school building. In some classrooms, it's too hard for the kids to all be online at the same time. The students have a technology honor code and for the most part they seem to quite motivated to adhere to it. If they are caught, they lose their device for the semester or even permenantly. So far, there have been no incidents of cyber bullying reported. (That was a huge concern when the program got started.)

I really don't see how school officials thought they could outsmart students when it comes to blocks. That was really naive.

I think there is a lot to be said for making sure that students can actually do things on paper, too. The ability to learn and develop ideas without the aid of a computer program is still a very necessary skill.

If the purpose is to have ebooks and type reports, then an inexpensive, small laptop would serve better than an iPad.

My school uses tablets and honostly they are a serious detriment to learning...I refuse to use mine unless absolutely necessary...it's kinda depressing that only like 5 people In a class will pay attention and everyone else is playing games...

[quote="wolfe_gate, post:10, topic:341237"]
My school uses tablets and honostly they are a serious detriment to learning...I refuse to use mine unless absolutely necessary...it's kinda depressing that only like 5 people In a class will pay attention and everyone else is playing games...

[/quote]

On the other hand, that will prepare you for what lectures are like in University. ;)

(That's not actually a joke. I've been in lectures where most people aren't paying attention. Heck, I've played on my iPhone while following along powerpoint handouts because all the prof did was read the slides to people. You show up to class for the occasional example that may be helpful, but otherwise the prof could not teach to save his life)

I hate Power Points. They using them all the time in nursing continuing ed. Blah!:banghead:

I say drop the iPad program (its obviously a waste of $) and actually teach kids to solve math the old fashioned way with a pencil and a piece of paper and maybe the occasional use of a calculator.

[quote="Country_Gal, post:12, topic:341237"]
I hate Power Points. They using them all the time in nursing continuing ed. Blah!:banghead:

[/quote]

I hate them too. I would be fired if I was caught using them the way they are used in college settings. I once put on an class evaluation that their first hint that this particular professor wasn't qualified to teach on the subject of education was her use of power point. Basically, she read the same chapter of the book that she assigned us, wrote down her notes in powerpoint, (using abysmal spelling and no punctuation) and then read those notes out loud to the students. Then she gave us a printed copy of the powerpoint for our records.

[quote="Country_Gal, post:1, topic:341237"]

[/quote]

When I went to school, they had textbooks. We didn't have to earn those or pay for those. Like it or not, tablets will eventual be the textbooks of the future as the actual expense is less and they are more easily updated. Yes, kids can goof around on them, just like they can pencil and paper. Probably it would be good to get away from the more popular tablets and go with something that is less versatle

[quote="pnewton, post:15, topic:341237"]
When I went to school, they had textbooks. We didn't have to earn those or pay for those. Like it or not, tablets will eventual be the textbooks of the future as the actual expense is less and they are more easily updated. Yes, kids can goof around on them, just like they can pencil and paper. Probably it would be good to get away from the more popular tablets and go with something that is less versatle

[/quote]

I agree. Why get an Ipad when they could accomplish their goal with a Kindle (less than 1/2 price) without a data plan? Because it is a more simple tablet it is easier for the blocks to work properly.

I don't have an issue using technology to keep students are of their counterparts educationally, and see a lot of value in that. But do it sensibly, and don't sacrifice safety or actual learning to do so.

At my private catholic school in 1987, we were learning to type on Apple IIe computers as 11 and 12 year olds. No one else was doing that in the state at the time. But it also wasn;t fraught with the ability to be hacked by us.

Something else to think about, I really have no problem if schools go to requiring students to provide their own pad, perhaps using some bulk purchase to make them cheaper. Parents already have quite a list they have to supply for school.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.